View Full Version : John Wayne's Ranches

toeser
April 18th, 2003, 12:58 PM
This web site bio states that John Wayne owned two ranches in Arizona. I have also heard that he owned a small ranch in California, I believe in the LA area.

Does anyone have location or other details about this ranch? Thanks.

chester7777
April 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Toeser,

I don't know about California, but in Selma, Oregon he owned a ranch
called the "Tall Timber Ranch". I don't know exactly which years he owned
it, I think it was late 50's early 60's. He had some Hollywood friends who
owned a larger ranch near by. As the story goes, both families' children
used to do a lot of horseback riding together. Next time I'm in the area
I will try to get as much "local input" from the old timers as I can to share
with the board. ;)

Chester

capnralls
April 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM
In 1962 Duke and his partner, Louis Johnson, bought the 26 Bar Ranch near Springerville, AZ.

Full story of his life in AZ in the January 1992 issue of ARIZONA HIGHWAYS.

chester7777
April 22nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
Well, I apparently was mistaken about John Wayne owning a ranch in Oregon. In speaking with one of the current owners of the Tall Timber Ranch, I learned that it was actually owned by Chuck Bushong, and the Deer Creek Ranch, not far away, was owned by Ike Iverson. Both were good friends of John Wayne, and he kept some horses at the Tall Timber and visited often. He used the ranch as a location at which to stay while filming a couple of his movies. An area along the Rogue River in southern Oregon was used to film some scenes in Rooster Cogburn. His last Great Western commercial was filmed at the Tall Timber Ranch right before he went into the hospital for the last time. It is my understanding that the commercial was never used.

Chester :unsure:

chester7777
March 9th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I thought I'd bring this topic back to the top, as we now have a few members from Arizona, who might know about these ranches. I think pegwil54 might have made mention of something like that as well.

Chester :newyear:

William T Brooks
March 9th, 2004, 07:06 PM
The Duke Had A large ranch right on the Mexican Border between Nogales, Arizona and Naco, Arizona. Fort Huachuca is just to the east of the ranch. Liz Taylor had a geta way ranch just to the west of the Duke's ranch. I would fly over it when I went from Nogales to Bisbee Arizona in the 1980s. He had the ranch in Springerville, Arizona and a very large feedlot and Bull ranch at Stanfield, Arizona he had this ranch with Louis Johnson his friend,. At sale time, "The Duke" would try to be there each year. Stanfield and is about 50 miles south of Phoenix. Chilibill :cowboy:

smokey
March 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
hi chilibill and others,

over here what we call a feed lot is where we are fatting up the cattle for the beef market is this the same meaning over there as we say they are next weeks dinner on the hoof. so is this what that station (ranch) of dukes was for to supply the country with beef like he did in mclintock?

cheers smokey

Chisum
March 9th, 2004, 11:16 PM
If his ranch was East of Nogales and West of Fort Huachuca, that would make it somewhere around Patagonia. I believe that area is Santa Cruz County. Now if he was East of Fort Huachuca and West of Naco that would be the area of Miracle Valley or a little north would be a nice little area of Hereford Ariz. That would be Cochise County. Miracle Valley was the area where the reverend AA Allan had his religious group. In more recent years there have been some deadly shootouts between those living there and the Cochise County Sheriffs.

Just as a side info, I understand that the owner of the Tombstone Epitaph is a member of a group that patrols the border for illegal aliens.

William T Brooks
March 10th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Chisum; After departing the Nogales airport and heading east along the border you cross small mountain range and you can see Miller Peak that is over 9000 feet. The ranch was before you get to Miller Peak.The small town of Patagonia is just north and east of Nogales. This is some of the best ranch land in Arizona! The family ranch was just east of Bisbee and about 10 miles north of the border near McNeal. Chilibill :cowboy:

Stumpy
March 10th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 9 2004, 08:06 PM
he had this ranch with Louis Johnson his friend.
Bill,
According to the biography "John Wayne: American", the property in which JW shared partnership with Louis Johnson was a cotton farm rather than a cattle ranch. The bio says that was Big John's most valuable asset at the time of his death, as Mr. Johnson sold it for 45 million, of which 22.5 million went to JW's estate. Said it was about the only investment John ever made that profited, mostly because Mr. Johnson was scrupulously honest and did not try to cheat our man.

William T Brooks
March 10th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Smokey; You got that right, that is what a Feedlot is here also. Pat Stacy said that the ranch at Stanfield that Duke and Louis Johnson owned was about 17,000 acres and a feedlot that held about 80,000 head . Thats a lot of Beef Steak, and they also had a beauiful ranch at Springerville, Arizona the "26-Bar" that The Duke said was one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have flown over it many times on my way going east, and it is! Chilibill :cowboy:

William T Brooks
March 10th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Stumpy; You are right about the cotton farm and it is Arizona desert great for cotton if you can get water to it. But the ranch and cotton farm was 17,000 acres and had a very large Feedlot , and they had a Bull sale every year. We went a few times to shop for bulls. This was the big event in this part of Arizona. And you are right about Louis Johnson he was as honest as the day is long! Chilibill :cowboy:

broncolane
March 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Howdy pardners!
For info on The 26 Bar Ranch try this link : http://www.wmonline.com/attract/rvscenic.htm I think it answers some of your questions.

Cheerio.
Bronco Lane.
England.

William T Brooks
March 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Stumpy; When I was a boy and helping out on my Step Fathers place we raised cattle and cotton and never used the word Farm or Farmer, that was a bad word. It was always Cattle rancher or Cotton Rancher but never Farmer! I think this came from the days of the old West with the trouble between the Ranchers and Farmers. Chilibill :cowboy:

chester7777
March 10th, 2004, 07:50 AM
broncolane, thanks for that link! While I don't have time to really look at it very much this morning, you can bet I'll be back tonight for further reading.

Chilibill, it's amazing how one word could set people off - farmer of all things! It seems like this country has gotten through it to some extent :P .

I appreciate all that first hand information. I knew you guys would come through.

Stumpy
March 10th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 10 2004, 08:40 AM
Stumpy; When I was a boy and helping out on my Step Fathers place we raised cattle and cotton and never used the word Farm or Farmer, that was a bad word. It was always Cattle rancher or Cotton Rancher but never Farmer! I think this came from the days of the old West with the trouble between the* Ranchers and Farmers. Chilibill :cowboy:
The derisive term that cattlemen applied to farmers was sodbusters, at least according to all the western movies I've ever seen. And I've seen a bunch of 'em. :D

One of my favorite western movies was "The Culpepper Cattle Company", a little gem that showed the conflict between cattlemen and farmers. Or at least would-be farmers. After killing off most of Culpepper's cowboys, who tried to protect the farmers, those sodbusters decided they didn't want to settle in cattle country after all and moved on to friendlier territory.

And of course who can forget the memorable war between farmers and ranchers in "Shane", probably the definitive film describing such conflict.

William T Brooks
March 10th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Stumpy; I am glad you are up on the ranchers slang. Now that I am a old man I was trying to be nice, but 65 years ago that is exatly what we called farmers "SODBUSTERS" because they would fence off the public land to keep the animals and cattle out of they crops. It was after W.W. 2 that all the Goverment land was all fenced here in Arizona. Chilibill :cowboy:

Chisum
March 10th, 2004, 05:55 PM
William T. Brooks, you aren't kidding about the beauty of the area. All through the south east Ariz. are wonderful places. I never got right down on the border between Ft. Huachuca and Nogales. As I remember when I was there it was a dirt road. Spent some time in the Huachuca Mtns. and Parker Canyon Lake. Spent a lot of time around Tombstone and Bisbee. Got to see them blow up the Lavender Pit at three in the afternoon. Also got to go into the mine. Tombstone was great also, especially during Helldorado. Did you ever get into Willcox for Rex Allen Days? They have now opened Karchner Caverns to the public. Thats over at Benson.
A lot of people are afraid of the summer there but at five thousand feet its not too bad. When the Monsoons come in it rains every afternoon about four p.m. Cooled it down nicely. When I got off of work at 8 am on Sat. and Sun at Greeley Hall Fort Huachuca there was always a herd of deer on the front lawn.

smokey
March 11th, 2004, 06:51 AM
hi stumpy and chilibill,

over here if you call a station owner a rancher you are more than likely to get your lights turned off :dead: (fist in the gob) as rancher is a bad word :angry: they are station owners and station hands. station is what we call our large properties over here i know of one in the kimberlies ( northern western aussie) that is as large as a small country. just thought you would like to know this little bit of info so you can stump your friends when you talk to them next ;)

cheers smokey :cowboy:

smokey
March 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
isn't it funny how words have different effects in different countries, well thats the queens english for you ;)
cheers smokey

William T Brooks
March 11th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Smokey; I learned this in the early 1980s , when I took some "Aussie" large land owners on a Air tour of some of the larger "Ranches" in Arizona, or as they called them "Stations". In fact I took them to Monument Valley and the Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona, and then on to The Dukes Ranch at the Springerville, Eagar area, the "26-bar Ranch" or Station. The "26-Bar ranch is a High Mountain Ranch with 10,000 foot peaks just to the south. I am not sure that they had seen this type of High Mountain "Ranch" or "Station" before. I had not heard the term Station owner and Station hands before. This was the same as we call them Rancher or Ranch Owner and Cowboy or Ranch hand. I am glad that you reminded me of this , as I do not want a to have my "LIGHTS TURNED OFF" when I visit some of your Larger Stations in "Down Under" later in the year. Chilibill :cowboy: Cowboy Or Station Hand !

smokey
March 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM
chilibill,

we don't have stations that are that high up they are more spread out, those who live in our mountains like in the movie man from snowy river they say they are from the high country. our station hands are also called "ringers" don't ask me why thats just what i've known them as since i was a little tacker. but we do have then in some of the driest parts of the country, out west they have a service called the 'flying doctors' whoare like a normal doctor but he flies in then out again. when you come out and have a look around always make sure you have plenty of fuel and water on board and tell people where you are going, the fuel and water as we ahve large distances between towns and fuel stops water in case you break down that is also why you tell someone where you are going so you can be found if you are late, and always stay with your vehicle.

cheers smokey :cowboy:

Stumpy
March 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by smokey@Mar 12 2004, 10:57 AM
when you come out and have a look around always make sure you have plenty of water on board and tell people where you are going, the water as we ahve large distances between towns and fuel stops water in case you break down
That sounds familiar. When I was a kid oh so many years ago, almost all cars that were heading west along the famous U.S. Highway 66(west, in this case, meaning New Mexico, Arizona and eastern California) carried large canvas water bags hung on the hood of the car because water stops were few and far between in the areas named above. Now, of course, you can get water almost anyplace between Oklahoma and California.

William T Brooks
March 12th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Stumpy ; I can see you have been in Arizona in the Summer. As dumb kids about 55 years ago we would go from Phoenix to San Diego in 120 deg. Temp. and chase girls at Mission beach. On one trip we did not take the canvas water bags on the front of the old car, but we did have a case of beer. Outside of Yuma the old 1935 Ford boiled. We did not put the beer directly in the old Ford but drank it first and the when it came out the other end we put it in the old Ford. We did make it but it took us two days. Boy that was a Smelly trip.Chilibill :cowboy:

Stumpy
March 12th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 12 2004, 03:45 PM
Stumpy ; I can see you have been in Arizona in the Summer. As dumb kids about 55 years ago we would go from Phoenix to San Diego in 120 deg. Temp. and chase girls at Mission beach. On one trip we did not take the canvas water bags on the front of the old car, but we did have a case of beer. Outside of Yuma the old 1935 Ford boiled. We did not put the beer directly in the old Ford but drank it first and the when it came out the other end we put it in the old Ford. We did make it but it took us two days. Boy that was a Smelly trip.Chilibill :cowboy:
Great story, Bill.

Yes, I've crossed that stretch between Texas and California several times. When I was in the Navy at Miramar I used to hitchhike back and forth between Texas and California all the time. Oh, the tales I could tell. Unfortunately, they're not fit for mixed company. :lol:

William T Brooks
March 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Stumpy ; Is Miramar the Air base that the Blue Angels train at or is that another base? Chilibill :cowboy:

Stumpy
March 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 12 2004, 05:07 PM
Stumpy ; Is Miramar* the Air base that the Blue Angels train at or is that another base? Chilibill :cowboy:
I don't think it would be anymore, Bill, as sometime in the last few years NAS Miramar became MCAS Miramar. Not sure if it was before then but I know it wasn't when I was stationed there from 1955-58. The wife and I were out there 2 or 3 years ago for our youngest son's wedding and I told them I wanted to visit my old stompin' grounds. Imagine my surprise when I drove up to the main gate at Miramar and saw that big sign over the gate that said MCAS Miramar instead of NAS. I don' know where they moved all the squadrons that used to be based at Miramar unless it was to North Island in San Diego proper.

Stumpy
March 12th, 2004, 07:08 PM
According to this (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/history/history.html) web site, Bill, they're at NAS Pensacola and have been for several years.

chester7777
March 13th, 2004, 12:37 AM
I don't think John Wayne had any ranches in San Diego county (I'm trying to keep on topic! :rolleyes: ), but one factor in Miramar becoming a Marine air base might be the proximity of new houses in the area. (I was down there in the early 90's, and couldn't believe how much all of San Diego had grown in less than 25 years.) A large percentage of the Marine air force are helicoptors and slower moving prop planes, which aren't quite as noisy as the big jets. Plus Camp Pendleton isn't too far away. I think El Toro NAS is closed also, again due to the influx of civilization.

I've driven out through those deserts, and having a big ice chest full of ice and cold water is essential, especially when your A/C doesn't work too well. :D

When I drove with the family last year to the Tombstone area, I had no idea I was so close to something else "John Wayne." Many of the place names you have mentioned are familiar, even though we were down there for only a short time.