View Full Version : Co-star in most movies?

bagheera99
May 26th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Does anyone know who was the person that co-starred in the most movies with John Wayne. My parents and I where discussing this the other night. We think it may have been Ward Bond or Gabby Hayes. Others that we consisdered were Maureen O'Hara and whats-his-face that was in "McLintock" and played Soloman? in "The Horse Soldiers" (the one that led them trhough the swamp).

Thanks for any info!

~bagheera99

Hondo Duke Lane
May 26th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Well bagheere99,

The answer is Paul Fix with 25 movies. That includes his "B" Movies as well as the "A" Movies.

1. Three Girls Lost
2. Somewhere in Sonora
3. The Desert Trail
4. Pittsburg
5. In Old Oklahoma
6. The Fighting Seabees
7. Tall In The Saddle
8. Flame of the Barbary Coast
9. Back to Bataan
10. Dakota
11. Tycoon
12. Red River
13. Wake of the Red Witch
14. The Fighting Kentuckian
15. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16. Island in the Sky
17. Hondo
18. The High & the Mighty
19. The Sea Chase
20. Blood Alley
21. Jet Pilot
22. The Sons of Katie Elder
23. El Dorado
24. The Undefeated
25. Cahill: U.S. Marshal

Need more information about the person your looking for in McLintock, and The Horse Soldiers. I can't figure who you are talking about, and don't know any Soloman in The Horse Soldiers.

Hondo :)

bagheera99
May 26th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks Hondo!

Umm....let's see what else do I remember about the guy.... Oh yeah, in 'McLintock' he's the one that swallowed the egg at the end of the 4th of July race. I don't think he was ever a main/major character, but he seemed to pop up in a number of John Wayne movies.

~bagheera99

Hondo Duke Lane
May 26th, 2003, 01:16 AM
That would be Chuck Worden who played Curly Fletcherin in McLintock! He also played Deacon Clump in The Horse Soldiers. His first named might had Solomon, but was not listed.

Later Hondo ;)

Robbie
May 26th, 2003, 05:48 PM
His name is Hank Worden he played Mose Harper in the Searchers he acted in quite a few Duke movies but not as many as Paul Fix.

B)

Hondo Duke Lane
May 26th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Quiet Right Robbie,

My mistake, it is Hank Worden.

Hondo :)

Robbie
May 30th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Regarding Hank Worden what was his first and last movie with the Duke I think that it was Rio Grande and Big Jake although I am not sure can someone confirm or correct this please.

Cheers
Robbie

B)

AEC23
May 30th, 2003, 09:13 PM
The last movie that Hank did with the Duke was Cahill in 1973. The first was The Night Riders in 1939.

chester7777
May 31st, 2003, 02:04 AM
Well, this thought sent me scurrying to IMdB, and using their advanced search feature, joint ventures between people, here's what I found:

Hondo hit the nail on the head with Paul Fix being in more movies than anyone else (at least that we could think of), that number being 25.

A close second was Ward Bond, who was in 23 movies with the Duke (I won't list them here).

Next is Jack Pennick, with 21 movies. You probably don't recognize his name, but once you know who he is, you recognize his face. He usually plays fairly minor parts, only a line or two, but his face is memorable. Unfortunately, IMdB doesn't have a photo for him.

George "Gabby" Hayes was next, with 16 movies shared with John Wayne.

Hank Worden limps in at 5th place, with only 15 joint ventures. I was quite surprised by that, as he is quite memorable, and I would have thought it was more than that.

Now, this little survey is based on my memory of different actors, so there may be gaps here, and I'd be happy for anyone to fill them in as they are able.

Off to bed now . . . :unsure: . . .

Chester

dukefan1
May 31st, 2003, 07:14 AM
Hank and Duke played in the same movie first in 1939 and last in 1973? Wow, what a spread of years(34). The only one I knew of that was longer was John Carradine. He was with Duke in the 1939 movie Stagecoach (as the gambler) and his 1977 movie The Shootist (as the undertaker). A span of 38 years . Anyone know of a longer span? dukefan1

Hondo Duke Lane
May 31st, 2003, 08:12 AM
Going back to the most co-stars, I have to go back to Paul Fix. With the movie span I listed, it goes to 42 years, 3 months. The first movie was release on April 19, 1931, and ironically, I only have the Date in the month and year of Cahill, U.S. Marsahal of July 1973.

And that's with 25 movies on the roster.

Jack Pennick (16 movies) had a 33 year, 11 month movie span starting May 13, 1928 through April 11, 1962. This closest to HanK Worden

Hank time frame is 34 years, 3 months.

As for the co-stars, Yakina Canutt had 22 with the Duke. I'll list them if necessary.

Hondo B)

chester7777
May 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM
Well, with a little sleep under my belt :rolleyes: , I went to IMdB yet one more time. Under their "people working together" search, I had looked last night for JW and Yakima Canutt, but had checked the box that told it to "Match names with any occupation", and came up with a list of 38 joint ventures. I was ready to share that number, but started looking at the list more closely, and realized that at least one entry was after the Duke died, and one was a documentary in which Yakima Canutt was a research consultant. Well, it was too late to start looking at all the others, and I wanted to be as accurate as I could, so I abandoned it and went to bed.

Now that Hondo has mentioned Yak, I decided to go back, and search both names as only actors, no other function. The list which credits both John Wayne and Yakima Canutt as actors in joint ventures only drops a little, to 32 (Hondo, that differs from the number you posted, 22, I don't know if that was a typo, or if your source has a different list). These range from 1932 to 1959 (actually, there is one from 1980, "Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film" (USA: video box title) ), but I assume we were all talking about both stars being alive, and not in film clips being used posthumously.

Interestingly, Yakima Canutt was born in 1896, and did his last movie in 1966, playing the part of an armored car driver. He died about 6 months before his 90th birthday, in 1986.

Chester

Hondo Duke Lane
May 31st, 2003, 02:09 PM
Chester,

My source is from the John Wayne Reference Book. Listed are the movies from Duke's lifetime. I have Yakima Canutt as (22) twenty-two movies. I have found that this book is incorrect in a few accounts, but as many as ten would be a little much. Most of the mistakes were at the most 2. The last movie Duke and Yakima did together was "The Dark Command."

So most of the movies they did together were the "B" movies. So, unless this book has really made a mistake, then I will stand at 22 with an error of 2. (Ha-ha).

This is featured motion pictures of Duke's.

Hondo B)

chester7777
May 31st, 2003, 02:26 PM
Hondo,

Maybe you could cross-reference between your book and IMdB. It would be interesting to see why there is such a discrepancy.

Keep up the good work.

We're gonna catch up to you . . . :D

Chester

Hondo Duke Lane
May 31st, 2003, 10:30 PM
Chester, ;)

Here is the list from the reference book.

<_<

1. Shadow of the Eagle (1932)
2. Telegraph Trail, The (1933)
3. Sagebrush Trail (1933)
4. Lucky Texan, The (1934)
5. West of the Divide (1934)
6. Blue Steel (1934)
7. Man from Utah, The (1934)
8. Randy Rides Alone (1934)
9. Star Packer, The (1934)
10. Lawless Frontier, The (1934)
11. 'Neath the Arizona Skies (1934)
12. Dawn Rider, The (1935)
13. Paradise Canyon (1935)
14. Westward Ho (1935)
15. Lawless Range (1935)
16. Oregon Trail, The (1936)
17. King of the Pecos (1936)
18. Lonely Trail, The (1936)
19. Winds of the Wasteland (1936)
20. Stagecoach (1939)
21. Wyoming Outlaw (1939)
22. Dark Command (1940)

This is the list of the others that were additional from IMDb, and the parts Yakima's played

:)

1. Riders of Destiny (1933) - Cast as a Henchman
2. Three Musketeers, The (1933) - El Shaitan (when masked) Wilfred Lucas is the voice of El Shaitan
3. Texas Terror (1935) - Bit part (uncredited)
4. Santa Fe Stampede (1938) - Ben Carey (uncredited)
5. Overland Stage Raiders (1938) - Bus driver (uncredited)
6. Night Riders, The (1939) - his scenes deleted
7. In Old Oklahoma (1943) - uncredited
8. Laramie (1949) - stock footage from Stagecoach with Duke
9. Rio Bravo (1959) - Gunman on horse (uncredited)
10. Hollywood (1980) - Himself

I will accept the first (5) five, #7, & #9 because he did appear.

<_<

Number 6, he did not appear in the film at all, even though shots of him were on film, it was deleted.

:ph34r:

Number 8, is another movie with Stagecoach showing.

:blink:

And Number 10, is not even live, but footage of some documentary (Duke was already deceased).

:angry:

So, my total count would be adding 7 more to a total of 29.

:o

The reference book does not include uncredited part.

:huh:

That's the explamation from the book.

;)

Hope that's clear as mud.

:unsure:

Hondo B)

chester7777
May 31st, 2003, 11:06 PM
Hondo,

So you concede defeat . . . ? :rolleyes:

I hope you didn't take my request to cross-reference as a challenge, I didn't mean it that way. :rolleyes:

I didn't count the one from 1980 for the same reason you didn't, and I would willingly accept your reasons for ditching the two that you did, which would take my count down from 32 to 29, so at last we do agree :D .

(Hondo, this was my wife's doing - I'm innocent - :ph34r: )

Chester

JWfan
June 29th, 2003, 12:07 PM
hi
I think Ben Johnnson played in much movies of John Wayne.
like: The three godfathers, She wore a yellow ribbon, rio grande, The Undefeated, Chisum and The Train Robbers

but not so much as he played with Yakima Canutti, but those movies arent so much famous as those he played with Ben.

Jwfan

BrianB
July 2nd, 2003, 02:54 AM
My guess would have been Ward Bond, but I can see it is Paul Fix.
I have always enjoyed the revolving cast that followed the Duke in alot of his movies in the 60's and 70's.

Brian
Tulalip Wa

Monique
July 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM
I would have guessed at Ward Bond. Just goes to show you that I've got alot to learn. Now I have to look up to see what Paul Fix looks like.

Monique ;)

chester7777
July 9th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Monique,

I'd like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board! Looks like you're having a good time here . . . :) .

There is no picture of Paul Fix on Internet Movie Database (IMdB), but to give you an idea of who he is, he plays Sheriff Billy Wilson in The Sons of Katie Elder. That was our original reference point, and it's easy to pick him out after that.

Glad to have you aboard!

Chester

Patrick
October 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm reviving an old topic here, but I thought of a name that hasn't been mentioned, Chuck Roberson, the Duke's personal stunt double. I don't know if this counts, since he didn't have a lot of huge roles, but he's recognizable in just about every Duke movie he's in. I count him in 22 movies, although most of them are just bit parts or background guys. Still, he's one of my favorite John Wayne stock players.

1. Wake of the Red Witch
2. The Fighting Kentuckian
3. Rio Grande
4. Hondo
5. The Searchers
6. Rio Bravo
7. The Alamo(my favorite Roberson performance)
8. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
9. How the west Was Won
10. McLintock!
11. Donovan's Reef
12. The Sons of Katie Elder
13. El Dorado
14. The War Wagon
15. The Green Berets
16. Hellfighters
17. The Undefeated
18. Chisum
19. Rio Lobo
20. Big Jake
21. Cahill, US Marshal
22. McQ

ethanedwards
October 15th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Tim,
In fact Chuck was in 27 films associated with the Duke,
as in The John Wayne Reference Book
You can also add

THE CONQUEROR(Stuntman)
THE WINGS OF EAGLES
BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA GIRL(Stuntman)
THE COMMANCHEROS
THE COWBOYS
THE TRAIN ROBBERS
ROOSTER COGBURN
THE COLTER CRAVEN STORY(Wagon Train)

However, he is not listed as being in
How the West Was Won
Rio Bravo or
El Dorado

Hope this helps,
Best Wishes,
Keith

Patrick
October 15th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi, Keith. How come you say that Roberson isn't in those movies? At imdb.com, he's listed in all three of the movies you mentioned. I'm not saying he is in those, and the movie database isn't the most accurate website, but what makes you say he isn't?

Is it because his parts are uncredited?

ethanedwards
October 15th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Tim,
Please refer to The John Wayne Reference Book,
Best wishes,
Keith