User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who is you Favorite Character in Rio Bravo, except for John T. Chance?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude ('Borachón')(Dean Martin)

24 30.00%
  • Colorado Ryan (Ricky Nelson)

0 0%
  • Feathers (Angie Dickinson)

7 8.75%
  • Stumpy (Walter Brennan)

46 57.50%
  • Pat Wheeler (Ward Bond)

1 1.25%
  • Nathan Burdette (John Russell)

1 1.25%
  • Carlos Robante (Pedro Gonzales-Gonzales)

1 1.25%
  • Consuela Robante (Estelita Rodriguez)

0 0%
  • Joe Burdette (Claude Akins)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favorite Rio Bravo Character

Deputy Marshal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Favorite Rio Bravo Character

Dean Martin's remarkable performance as a man trying to recover from a 2 year drinking binge was impressive. It was difficult to choose between him and Walter Brennan, whose performance as Stumpy was memorable.

Please, may I vote for both actors?
    We're burning moonlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumpy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta be Stumpy, but I think one of the reasons the film is so good, it because of the way all the characters, and the actors who portrayed them interacted.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I voted for Stumpy too, though it was several years ago! This last week I was reminded of Stumpy again, as I pulled a muscle in my leg, and for several days, I was walking around like Stumpy with the same limp.
    It was very painful. Seems to be healing up, thank goodness.

Chester

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear it is healing. I pulled a teeninesy bit of my pectoralis major. I iced it, then applied heat the next day. I took it easy...no work. Worked only about 10 hours after two days, (remember I build things....some weigh about eighty pounds and have to be moved around a bit), and by the end of the day, my chest and under my arm were SCREAMING. Yep, I had pulled the dickens out of the Major AND Minor muscles. Took a month to heal. BE CAREFUL Jim, don't do too much too soon! KP KEITH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has to be Walter Brennan as Stumpy, he adds alot to the plot and helps the story flow with his antics when there's not much happening, his interaction with the guy in the jail is often hilarious aswell. Brennan really is an asset to any film he's in and I honestly think it would be bad to find a poor performance from him, or one in which he didn't add something to the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I HAD TO GO FOR WALTER BECAUSE I AM SITTING HERE LOOKING AT HIS
    SAW-OFF SHOTGUN THAT HE USED IN THE FILM, BY THE FIREPLACE HERE AT MY LITTLE MUSEUM HERE AT THE 26 BAR RANCH !!!
    CHILIBILL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, personal thing here.......I had to vote for Dino, because he is the only one of them that I personally knew. And he was by far from a drunk. I mean I sat either beside him, (once), and just down the table quite a few times at Celebrity Pro-ams when MOST of the Celebs and the people who payed the money to play and have dinner with them, got a lot more than a bit inebriated. Dino never did. Oh, he would have few drinks during the course of the dinner and the auctions, etc. I first met him at DINO'S DEN, a night club in Savannah Inn and CC, named for him in Wilmington right out of Savannah. Lou Rosanova, the GM there, introduced him to me and "gave me to him" as his golf course guide....all he needed was the first day. But, he stayed and sang at the club and Lou and I always sat with him. Once I move to the Springs, actually, there was once that he was sitting next to me and Jack Benny was on the other side. Dino and I picked a bottle of wine to go with dinner and both liked it....it was a regional. I think he had two glasses and I had three....but he had to get up and do a monologue, LOL. Anyway, he was at my club the next day where everyone got together for lunch and 18 holes of golf. Most of the celebs were hungover. Dean was just brighter than the sun......he was so much fun. For him to play what he did as DUDE, I was just totally flabbergasted. I never thought of Dino as an actor. Boy, after that movie, there was NO question in my mind. KP KEITH
    Last edited by Hawkswill; June 27th, 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Forgot again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walter Brennan has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid......long time away from 62 years, LOL. Anyway, he had always been great. BUT, I don't remember his ever playing a character outside of his realm. Dino did. I STILL can't believe that he played that so well. I am really sorry that he didn't win something in the "actor category". He imagined that he really wanted to since he had pretty much "conquered the world with his voice and mannerisms"......as well he had. I have some VHS tapes of his TV Show with Frank, Duke, and on and on. They flocked to him because he was really GOOD! By what I mean that they flocked to him....many times, same as the Johnny Carson Show, folks doing a thing across the building would just show up on screen and leave the poor folks thinking they were going to get on in the GREEN ROOM. I was in the Green Room waiting for Ed to finish a couple of times when someone didn't get on because celebrities did. Once, five major celebs in full coat and tails,etc. just bypassed everyone and went right out onto the stage. Funny how a boyfriend of Joann Pflugg, I think, swore he was going to sue Johnny, LOL because his girl friend had to sit for an hour and never got on. Didn't happen, of course, but Johnny DID invite her back again. He was a very nice fellah. I loved seeing him every time we went to gather up Ed for dinner. And there was no question..........we always ate at Sneaky Pete's. I wonder if it is still there? KP KEITH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkswill View Post
    Walter Brennan has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid..... BUT, I don't remember his ever playing a character outside of his realm. KP KEITH
    Take a look at Walter in
    How the West Was Won
    My Darling Clementine
    The Westerner

He was a totally different Brennan in those films.
    He played real mean, baddies

Pals Of The Saddle- Walter Brennan
    Last edited by ethanedwards; June 28th, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Best Wishes
    Keith
    Totnes- the Tombstone of England

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to say, who was my favourite in Rio Bravo, because Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson - all of them where great and they worked together in a phantastic way! But I would say, Walter Brennan was the greatest of them all!!!
    "Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caught a portion of this on TV the other day. Every time Stumpy pops his head up like a demented gopher and says "What's the password?", I crack up.

We deal in lead, friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better than getting shotgunned through the door, LOL! KP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all I want to clear out there isn't a character I dislike.Every actor/actress plays perfect in this flick.

My vote goes to Feathers.Angie is so sweat and attractive...She is only twenty eight years old and by the side of Duke she was the perfect lady for him where he was older from her.They had so good chemistry and that helped to overlooked that difference.

As a second choice of course I have Stumpy in my book.He had so individual and memorable presence here.A charismatic actor without doubt.
    Break the law and he's the last man you want to see. And the last you ever will.

San Antonio, TX, 3 miles south of the Alamo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walter Brennan - He was one great character actor, look at the Oscars he toted away.
    Cheers - Jay
    "Not hardly!!!"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information