My Stroke Of Luck By Kirk Douglas

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,565 times. The latest Post () was by BenFerko.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The following was posted by BenFerko over in the Newbie Forum. I took the liberty of moving his question over here to Off Topic, so others could answer and keep the original thread more in its intended direction.

Chester :newyear:

• I've only read Kirk's "The Ragman's Son", but I understand from the press that "Luck" received was that Douglas (one of my favorite actors, BTW) saw that for much of his career, he was a vain, shallow and egotistical actor who didn't embrace the things in life that were truly important to him, like faith, family and his fellow man. It took him a long time to realize this, but his stroke allowed him time to reflect on things and I believe he is all the better for it. Douglas was always committed to worthy causes like civil rights, etc. But it was not until this late date that he in essence, "grew up."

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• In the ragmans son he it critical of John Wayne calling him weird because he used to interact frequently with the stuntmen etc after filming instead of going home, it seemed as if Kirk didn't really mix well off set, however as a movie star he is quite good.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Feb 17 2005, 07:06 PM
    . . . for much of his career, he was a vain, shallow and egotistical actor who didn't embrace the things in life that were truly important to him, like faith, family and his fellow man.

[snapback]14728[/snapback]

I would have to say that based on the characters he played in many movies, these characteristics were evident even in his roles (his character in In Harm's Way comes to mind - what a creep!). That's not how we view the Duke, is it? It seems that real life maybe does spill over into roles more than we may imagine. Not always, of course, but "on the average" if you know what I mean.

Originally posted by Mrs.McLintock@Feb 18 2005, 05:06 AM
    I am actually reading the Ragman's son, right now. Have to say, the book has diminshed my view of Douglas the actor.

[snapback]14728[/snapback]

Mrs. McLintock,
    Did the book actually diminish your view of Douglas as an actor, or as a person?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Both; I am about half way finished - I love to read but am making myself continue with this one. He loves to tell of his sexual adventures; but to be so blunt about things that happened while he was married, while his wife was pregnant? He talks very disdainfully of many big stars and not as well known actors, the thought has crossed my mind, I wonder if this person is dead already and doesn't know how little Douglas thought of them.

I liked Chester's analogy between Douglas and his movie characters; especially Eddington.

Originally posted by chester7777@Feb 18 2005, 12:36 PM
    I would have to say that based on the characters he played in many movies, these characteristics were evident even in his roles (his character in In Harm's Way comes to mind - what a creep!). That's not how we view the Duke, is it? It seems that real life maybe does spill over into roles more than we may imagine. Not always, of course, but "on the average" if you know what I mean.

As we know, Duke simply would not play unsavory characters. It's well known that he refused the juicy role of Willie Stark, the very "distasteful" lead character in All the King's Men, which won Crawford the Academy Award. Crawford beat Duke out for the Oscar that year (1949) when our guy was nominated for Sands of Iwo Jima. That's another thing I love about John Wayne-he was so darned principled!

Another thing: It's funny how All the King's Men has languished in obscurity, and it even won best picture! Yet Duke'sSands of Iwo Jima is on every other week! Two very different films, but for the Crawford film to drop off the face of the Earth...

Okay, I'm getting off topic, and I apologize...

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Well, I'm back. I see some folks have read my last post concerning Kirk Douglas' latest book "My Stroke of Luck". Unfortunately, it sounds as though no one has actually read it yet. That's a shame. It's a very inspiring book that shouldn't be casually overlooked.

I saw a comment posted concerning an older book about Kirk's life as a younger man. Yeah, he probably was full of himself for a long time. Stardom can have that effect on the best of people. It's too bad that it took all these years to open his eyes and see the big picture of his life and were he truly stands. I believe many people are guilty of similar short sightedness in their own lives and it takes time to open all our eyes as to our true nature and how others see and think of us really. Some people do grow up quickly. Some people take a long time. Some never get to see the big picture.

Now John Wayne, I believe, saw a big picture for the most part. Of course there were things he probably wished he had done differently in his life, as we all have. If we only had a rewind setting on our own lives.

Perhaps someone will take the time to read the book and eventually comment on their findings later. I know I'd be interested in hearing about it. For now though, I'll move on to another subject. That is...as soon as I figure out what I would like to talk about. (Ha,ha) Perhaps I'll stop talking and read some more posts myself and respond to what others want to discuss. Sounds like a plan. (Ha,ha)

It's good to be back with you all. Good company. - Ben

PS: Chester 7777, I saw your last post to me on the Newbie Board. No worries mate. (Ha, ha) Thanks.