Randolph Scott Westerns

There are 32 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,879 times. The latest Post () was by Big Jake Jr..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• With the release last month of Seven Men From Now, and the release this month of Ride the High Country, Randolph Scott is riding high (not a bad feat for a guy who passed away almost 20 years ago).

Scott got his start in the early 30s in such films as To The Last Man and Rocky Mountain Mystery (The Fighting Westerner). His career almost mirrors that of John Wayne as he spent most of the 30's as a "B" movie cowboy, and then graduated into "B+" or "A-" movies by the end of that decade. He starred in Westerns, Dramas, Shirley Temple movies, and in the 40's added War movies to his resume.

But by 1950, unlike John Wayne, he concentrated SOLELY on Westerns, as he didn't make a single non-Western movie from 1950 to the end of his career in 1962.

Many of Scott's Westerns were clearly low budget affairs, but many of them were quite good, including Abilene Town, Hangman's Knot, Man in the Saddle, Rage At Dawn, etc. Scott even got into the movie production business, co-producing several movies with Harry Joe Brown. Some of those movies were less than spectacular (Ten Wanted Men suffered from a weak script and very poor editing), but others were quite good (the aforementioned Man in the Saddle; Hangman's Knot; The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, and Comanche Station - those last 3 directed by Budd Boetticher).

Many of Scott's films are available on DVD, but some of his best are not (The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station, etc), and some are available only on poor quality DVDs (Abilene Town), but hopefully that continues to change in 2006.

Scott, of course, made a couple movies with The Duke, most notably The Spoilers in 1942 - where the usually likeable Scott played the villain!

If you haven't picked up many (or any) of Scott's movies on DVD I highly recommend 7 Men From Now, Ride the High Country, The Spoilers (which many of you probably already have), Man in the Saddle, and The Desperadoes (with Glenn Ford). Another good one is Rage at Dawn, which I recommend only in the version from the Roan Group (the Roan version looks pretty decent, and is in anamorphic widescreen - the other versions all feature pan & scanned prints with faded color).

There are few actors as synonymous with Westerns as Randolph Scott (John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and only a few others come to mind), and 2005-2006 looks like a renaissance for Scott with several of his movies seeing release on DVD for the first time.

• I mentioned the release of Seven Men from now last month and I concur. Scott was one of our greatest western actors to date and including Seven men from now and The Spoilers with Duke, those are 2 of my most favorite Scott films. Look forward to seeing many more new releases this coming year.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I became a Randolph Scott fan when I first saw him in the original "Gung Ho" which also had an early appearance by Robert Mitchum and I think also had Noah Beery Jr.

I thought Randolph Scott was great opposite John Payne and Maureen O'Hara in: "To the Shores of Tripoli."

I wonder if they will ever get around to releasing 7th Cavalry on dvd?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Randolph Scott (reverently said as in "Blazing Saddles") made some great movies. One of my favorites is the one he did with Joel McCrea, "Ride the High Country," which I saw a few months ago. This is the last movie Scott did since he retired right after. McCrea did a couple of others over the next decade, but both regarded this picture a high point in their careers. Both actors played off each other very well.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• We were first introduced to Randolph Scott through the Shirley Temple movie Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. The next time we encountered him was in some VHS tapes of some old Westerns that I picked up at a rummage sale for about a dollar a piece. I don't remember all the titles, but I know one was The Tall T, and I honestly don't remember the plot to it at all. We'd have to watch it again.

Anyway, most recently, I bought Seven Men from Now, which we enjoyed very much, along with Ten Wanted Men and The Stranger Wore a Gun. It's been a fun time getting acquainted with this star.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

It's not until you visit IMDb that you realise how many films he made.

Apart from Pitsburgh and the brilliant fight scene in The Spoilers, a couple I particulary liked were Last of the Mohicans, Western Union and 7th cavalry which included Harry Carey jnr in quite a good part.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, if you see this, please give me what you think about these movies: Last of the Mohicans as well as 7th Cavalry. I know that Mohicans is now available on DvD and I want to get it soon.

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Jan 20 2006, 01:50 PM
    I agree with Arthur,
    RS was a fine cowboy actor, and I have quite a few of his films,
    the 3 films you mentioned, being very enjoyable films.

[snapback]25544[/snapback]

Ditto the reviews request for you Mate. :)

• Hi Karl

I think the 1936 version of the Last of the Mohicans is a perfect example of the films made during Hollywoods Goldenage. Despite it being black and white it has retained is quality and contains a marvelous main cast which as well as Scott also includes Binnie Barnes, Henry Wilcoxen, Bruce Cabot as the evil Magua and Robert Barrat.
    The supporting casts also includes many familiar names who played supporting roles with many of the great stars of the day including John Wayne.

Its a film I never tire of seeing.

&th Cavalry is the exact opposite it is a bright piece of nonsense which bears no relation whatever to historical accuracy, but saying that I quite enjoy it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur, that helps me out some. I will be ordering LotM as soon as I can as its out on DvD.

Have you ever seen a similar movie though not the same, which is called: Fort Ti. This one has George Montgomery (Robert;s Bro) in it. I think its one of his best movies.

Best wishes--C.

• Hi Karl

If I read you right are you saying that George Montgomery was Robert Montgomery's brother. I think you may be in error. George Montgomery was born George Pletz and appeared under that name in a couple of John Wayne's 1930's pictures.

Robert Montgomery born Henry Montgomery was the son of a wealthy businessman.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, i'm not sure. I saw it once about 10 or so years ago. It could have been in 3-D at the theater though. ;-))

Gruss-Carl.

• Hi Arthur, that's what I had always heard about them both. I know that Elizabeth Montgomery (of the TV series: Bewitched) is the daughter of one of them. Of course, if it were not for me always being in eerror--you guys would be out of qa job trying to correct me. ;-))

Which of John Wayne's movies did he appear in? (George) that is. ;-))

Best wishes--C.

• Hi Carl,Mi Amigo,
    I am sure Arthur will confirm this but , I can only find him in 2 or 3, credited and uncredited.

Pals of the Saddle (1938) (uncredited) .... Rider, as George Letz

New Frontier (1939) (stunts) (uncredited)
    The Night Riders (1939) (stunts) (uncredited)
    Santa Fe Stampede (1938) (stunts) (uncredited)

Tell you what my friend, I'll make up a review on
    Pals of the Saddle right now, so you can take a look,

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• One movie of Scotts I did enjoy was 'Ride the high country', however I thought '7th cavalry' and 'A lawless street' were terrible. I will need to see a few more Scott movies before I can form a more accurate opinion on the man.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie