Hatari (1962)

There are 283 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 353,057 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, I watched this one again and payed particular attention to Mancini's music score. It still didn't contribute one iota to my enjoyment of the film. Sorry, guys and girls, but it just seemed innocuous.

We deal in lead, friend.

• My wife Sandra tells me off at times because I'm always whistling and yes its music from Duke's movies at the moment while I'm typing I'm whistling Just For Tonight from Hatari!. Yesterday it was I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen music from Rio-Grande, don't know what it will be in the morning could be a rendition of them all. lol

• Well Bill, thanks for trying again. You, like Mark are just not Hatari folks. So, we have two who didn't care for it.

And Tommy, thanks for another contribution.....whistling is one of my things also.....however, seem to hum more than whistle now.

Lately, I have been singing right out as we are having our 4 night Horseback bit....will be playing and singing everynight with Moon......sure hope he gets The Hall of Fame this year while he is still young enough to enjoy it and make more money on his gigs because of it!

Thanks again guys, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Mark,

I'm glad we don't always all agree on film choices. Hatari actually went up my list after watching it again, lol!
    I'll be interested to see what next months titles brings.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Mark,

I'm glad we don't always all agree on film choices. Hatari actually went up my list after watching it again, lol!
    I'll be interested to see what next months titles brings.

Well, it for sure went up on mine also. Doing those screen catches really "upped" my opinion of the actors. Whoever gave them their instructions, sure did it well as they actually, in some instances, were instrumental in effecting the capture of the animal. Also, I am not much into comedy, but getting to know the characters more actually got me to laugh at loud at some of the antics. And I will ALWAYS LOVE the mad dash through the market with the baby elephants in hot pursuit! Keith

• Had about 10 screen catches with explanations, and.................never mind, starting over again. This concerns the zebra catch.

Sean is after zebra with catch pole and rope.

Catch pole drops but rope is still aboard.
    Sean decides to Lasso the zebra. He brings the rope aboard and begins to make a noose.

Pockets, chasing the herd, goes right through a mud hole with guess who on the hood.

Sean is not happy with Pockets, LOL.

Sean swears he will wring Pocket's neck!

"Not this time, BWANA", says Pockets. Dallas is with him in the truck.

Sean gets ready to lasso a zebra. Notice his right hand is in proper form, but his left is not. Should be loosely coiled with three or four loose coils laying across his fingertips. You will see what happens.

OK noose falls over zebra's head, but it is too small because Sean did not let go of more of the end of the rope therefore closing the once plenty large enough noose.

He tries to work it over his head.....but he gets loose. Off for another try.

Am posting this now....don't want to lose all this again. Will pick up from here on next post.....the second try for the zebra. KP

• These screen grabs are fantastic Ladyhawk. There's so much action going on and the colours look so amazing it makes me want to watch it again, lol!
    I hope this gets the blu ray treatment soon as it would look spectacular!

• The comments, images, background information and the various sub topics that have been posted on "Hatari" are excellent. I was re-reading them because they are so good and it occurred to me that all of you must have seen the movie in order to be so detailed, but I can't figure out how many of us have actually watched it this month.
    It really doesn't matter (I'm not that anally fixated).

We deal in lead, friend

• Awwwww, you guys are GREAT!...The gals that contributed, also. Thanks so much for dropping by and putting your ideas in.

Don't forget, there are three very detailed screen grabs to finish this out. One is the giraffe, then the water buffalo, then the RHINO! Along with a few of the comedic episodes also. So check back.....almost over, then someone else's turn, thank goodness, LOL! KEITH

• Hey guys an gals glad I joined this group, I have really enjoyed myself over the last few weeks talking and answering questions about the movie Hatari!,
    now I have moved from being a newbee to a pilgrim things are looking up. Hatari! is the first movie my granddaughter ever watched, her mum my daughter use to put it on when she was nursing her daughter Miley and she started to notice what was on the tv screen, now she likes to watch Hatari! and McLintock and at the moment she is only 3 years old she is 4 on 2 November a young fan dont yer think. Really like the sketch of Hondo what a great likeness you have got him down to a T, and now I'm a Town Citizen what next newspaperman. Lol

• I got a question about Duke's hat in Hatari. Why does it have a large bill on the front of it? I understand the cloth on the back protects the neck from sun and sand, but why the oversized bill? Does the hat have a name?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Keith, so glad to see you on. Going to try to post the giraffe catch...it is a short one.

Pockets choosing a giraffe for Sean.

Pockets says he will put the giraffe in Sean's lap. Dallas is a bit "banged up" from the ride.

Sean gets noose over giraffe with catch pole.

Slowing the giraffe down, carefully....(part of Pockets' job).

Luis first actor to get there.

Sean in. Has arms around leg of giraffe. Keeps having to pick his foot up as the giraffe keeps almost stepping on him.....Leaning hard against the animal to calm him down.

Still struggling.

Looks like it is a wrap! Beer Time.

Back home for rest and relaxation with giraffe in Catch Truck.

Will try to get the Water Buffalo up tonight.

Met and got to know Tom....forgot his last name....does a TV show for the best rugged horse trails in US. Introduced him to Moon, he was excited to meet him....Chet Atkins is one of his "idols", and Moon knew him well and played with him many times. So, he invited us down to play with him...Moon put on his Mountain Man gear and Tom's crew filmed him playing a few songs. Then, he insisted he buy all 4 of us girls' dinner, and Moons also, of course.

Told him about the Bar 26 and Bud. He is interested in possibly doing a show from there. If so, he says he will fly me out with them. HEH, might get to meet Bud, yet! Have to talk to Bud by phone. But, if any of yall know him, ask him to send me a PM or email [email protected].
    Here is one of his websites. If you click on upcoming events, you will see the Leatherwood ride.....that is where we are now. Shows a pic of Tom, also....thing it is Tom Seay. Anybody heard of that show?

Well, gotta get down to the stables and "saddle up". Gonna see if I can't get in this weeks film. More later, Keith

• Well, last day here. Should be home around 4pm. Going to try to do the Water Buffalo catch now.

Pockets chooses one, Kurt keeps him close to catch truck and Sean readies catch pole.

Buffalo roped.

Buffalo caught and bangs truck.

Slowing Buffalo down.

Dallas takes pics and Pockets stays in truck.....his job is done.

Unloading crate for Buffalo.

Chips and Kurt get ready when Buffalo gets loose.

Getting ready to put ropes on back legs.

Getting ready to pull Buffalo inside crate.

Sean pulls buffalo.

Buffalo starting in.

Pushing Buffalo.

Sean ties him off.

Sean checks his hand for rope burns. Buffalo loaded and ready to take home!

There are a few more, but am running late. Still have gazelle and Rhino....Rhino is really good. Will do them tonight when I get home.

Later guys, KEITH

• LOL, I called my Loaned horse a "cow pony"....really called a "cutting horse".
    He can just about jump out from under you as big as he is if you don't catch the tiny signal his body gives out.

OK, FIRST PART OF The Second Rhino Sequence. The Indian really thought there was some sort of bad luck curse on this and did not want them to attempt it.....but, Sean outvoted everyone and here it is.....AWESOME, I think.

Kurt's jeep crew see Rhino following Sean's Catch Truck Crew and tell him.

Sean's crew looks back and

Low and behold.....a RHINO!

Rhino decides to help the truck along!

And BANG....knocks the crew off balance! Whoever did the sound effects was super! Wonder how much was real and how much not? As stated before, when fighting the animals, a lot had to be dubbed because of Duke's cussing, LOL!

Sean tells Pockets to relay to Kurt they will take this one.

Chips getting ready to take Pole. He and Sean will try to get two ropes on him first. Notice how STRONG Chips is? Look closely at the picture.

Chips has the pole readying it.

After Rhino and Dallas pops out to take a picture. Sean pushes her back in and says this is a mean one.

Rhino attacks Catch Truck. Lordy his back feet are almost off the ground!

Rhino gets in front of jeep turns and attacks it.

Rhino backs up and attacks Jeep again.

Knocks Jeep back...Sean calls them and tells them they are supposed to be chasing IT!, LOL.

Sean uses pole to get noose over nose.

Sean has catch pole in right hand and rope with Rhino in left hand. Rhino attacks jeep and actually knocks the front of it over to the right about a foot! WOW, didn't SEE that one before! Wish I could put it on here for you!

Chips gets his noose on....now two ropes on Rhino's head.

Two ropes on Rhino rears.

Rears again and Sean says Take a dally around that roller bar.....,Hold her!

Third time up then moves toward chase truck.

Sean says Hang on to the Son of a B............rest is cut out, LOL!

Sending this now....don't want to lose it. Remember to read up .

• PART TWO OF RHINO CATCH

Sean tell Luis to get down and do his part, (hogtying the back legs).

Luis is down and beginning the tie.

Sean comes down to help.

Pulling back legs while Chips tries to get to the front ones to tie.

Sean has Kurt use jeep to carefully pull the Rhino's front legs out so she will go down.

Starting down. Chips, Luis and worker help him over.

Sean comes in, steps carefully over ropes.

Jumps at Sean. Every time she moves she loosens the hogties.

Gonna try and move him.

Look out.

Sean loosens ropes a bit......a bit too much, maybe!

Sean jumps back.

Close up view.

Sean says it is a nice day's work. Indian says Nice going big Bwana.

But, there is more to come, right? You betcha

Guess that is the end of the jinx...............Dallas points..............he is almost loose.

Feet loose and moving out!

Stay away from those ropes.

Too many images, PART THREE will show his escape and recapture.

PART THREE ON NEXT POST RHINO

• PART THREE OF RHINO CATCH AND RECAPTURE

Rhino is loose and running.....like trying to hold a freight train!

Rhino turns and they do too and Hightail it!

Gone, but tired.......after him again.

Let's go get him again.

Doesn't look very tired to me!

Close up of attack. We talking about the same animal, Bwana?

Two catch poles after him again. Sean noosed him.

Luis ready to hogtie.

Sean comes to help. Only ONE noose around his neck!

Sean and Luis hogtying back legs.

Get another rope around his head! Luis hogtying front legs.

Now PULL.....pull flip him over.

That's it, now we got him.

Indian arrives with Dallas very pleased.

Ya see Indian, he won't get away.

Nope the jinx is broken. He's a real nice one.

Beer time......going home.

Wish I could have done it in more detail.....had the shots, just not the time, LOL! Took 4 hours....lost part of the beginning and had to start over.
    I will be putting up some comedy tonight.........so look for it. Might have to see it on the Hatari Thread....Keith switches on time, LOL! Have some great shots of Duke, LOL.......LAUGHED....oh how I laughed!

NOW, THERE IS SOMETHING I NOTICED THE VERY FIRST TIME I WATCHED THIS MOVIE YEARS AGO. IT STICKS OUT LIKE A HORRENDOUSLY SORE THUMB. I HAVEN'T MENTIONED IT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SPOIL THE WATCH. ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE SOMETHING EXTREMELY STRANGE ABOUT ALL THE CATCHES? I WILL GIVE YOU A HINT.

I HANDLED SHEETS, (THE ROPES THAT HOLD SAILS ON A SAILBOAT), ROPED CALVES AND COWS, SPLICED HEAVY HAWSERS WITH MARLIN SPIKES, USED ROPES TO HAUL THINGS OUT OF WELLS.......COULD GO ON, BUT YOU GET THE GIST. WHAT IS COMPLETELY INCONGRUOUS IN THE FILM?

THERE MAY BE AN EXPLANATION FOR IT, BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO THINK OF ONE ALL MONTH.

SO, COME ON GUYS AND GALLS, WHAT IS COMPLETELY UNREAL ABOUT THESE CATCHES?

Hope you enjoyed seeing these in slow mo. You certainly get a lot more appreciation for what was done.....I did, anyway.

Also, the comments used are not quotes, just the gist of the scene.

Had great fun with this. Had more planned, but didn't realize I was going to get my 4 day trip right at the end. HAGO, Keith

• OK boys and girls, there are THREE PARTS to the Rhino Capture and Recapture. Remember to start below. Also, please excuse typos, etc. Took a LONG time to do this, LOL.

Now:

NOW, THERE IS SOMETHING I NOTICED THE VERY FIRST TIME I WATCHED THIS MOVIE YEARS AGO. IT STICKS OUT LIKE A HORRENDOUSLY SORE THUMB. I HAVEN'T MENTIONED IT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SPOIL THE WATCH. ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE SOMETHING EXTREMELY STRANGE ABOUT ALL THE CATCHES? I WILL GIVE YOU A HINT.

I HANDLED SHEETS, (THE ROPES THAT HOLD SAILS ON A SAILBOAT), ROPED CALVES AND COWS, SPLICED HEAVY HAWSERS WITH MARLIN SPIKES, USED ROPES TO HAUL THINGS OUT OF WELLS.......COULD GO ON, BUT YOU GET THE GIST. WHAT IS COMPLETELY INCONGRUOUS IN THE FILM?

THERE MAY BE AN EXPLANATION FOR IT, BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO THINK OF ONE ALL MONTH.

SO, COME ON GUYS AND GALLS, WHAT IS COMPLETELY UNREAL ABOUT THESE CATCHES? Hope you Enjoy! Keith

• Great shots of the catches, Hawkswill. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but none of the men are wearing gloves. I can't see how they don't rip their hands up pulling tight on those ropes with wild animal pulling the other end.. Is that it?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Great shots of the catches, Hawkswill. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but none of the men are wearing gloves. I can't see how they don't rip their hands up pulling tight on those ropes with wild animal pulling the other end.. Is that it?

Mark

Hi Mark, you beat me to it! Gloves was the frost thing that I thought of too.
    Lets see if we're right! Excellent screen grabs again ladyhawk

• Well, just almost was finished with a long post to Mark, when...poof....it disappeared. Heh, Halloween was YESTERDAY. So, I will begin again. Peter's post came in after that anyway.

Yep, both correct. I cannot imagine a director being that ignorant. And Duke of all people should know better. Can't think of any reason why they wouldn't wear gloves, and they should have gone through at least three pairs of stout leather gloves in one catching season. Makes me really wonder about their real participation in the catches. Oh, I know for a fact by the screen catches that they really DID do quite a lot. Strange, very strange.

Well, I want to thank you both enormously for being so very supportive in this massive effort of mine. I was hoping to have a great many more participants, but the ones we had were wonderful and kept coming back to check as was my goal.

I had planned to do a bunch of the funny catches, but I ran out of time. So here is just one that made me laugh every time I watched it.

Dallas explaining to Sean that he would have to shoot her also if he didn't take the baby elephant.

After winning the argument with the support of the other crew members, Dallas brings Tembo home.

The crew takes up a collection and buys a truckload of goats to give milk to feed Tembo, but no one knows exactly HOW they are going to feed him. First the goats have to be milked.

Sean catches Pockets trying to milk a buck goat, so he moves out the male and grabs a female.

Meanwhile, Tembo is being kept away from the goats so as not to scare them.

Sean teaches Pockets how to milk a goat. HAH, Duke milking a goat....THAT got me started.

Tembo gets loose, smells the milk and comes running,.......all H_LL breaks loose!

Everyone is trying to catch the goats except for Sean and Pockets who are busy. That is Sean's legs you see up in the air on the right.

Oops, out of order, but there goes Sean falling over backwards and spilling his milk.

Sean and Pockets start back up.

With the miracle of modern film making, the milk that Sean spilled manages to get on his head and all over his body, LOL. Pockets sees it.

Pockets busts out laughing while Sean is more that a bit perturbed!

Comedian that he is Pockets falls down laughing and Sean is Still covered in goat's milk.

But no one seems to be able to figure out how to feed Tembo yet. That didn't work.

Dallas figures out how to feed Tembo.

Pockets arrives again!

That's all folks..,out of time. CYA, KEITH