Lauren Bacall

There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,288 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• LAUREN BACALL

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of birth
    16 September 1924
    New York, New York, USA

Birth name
    Betty Joan Perske

Nickname
    Baby
    The Look

Height
    5' 8½" (1.74 m)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Betty Jean Perske

Spouse
    Jason Robards (4 July 1961 - 10 September 1969) (divorced) 1 child
    Humphrey Bogart (21 May 1945 - 14 January 1957) (his death) 2 children

Trade mark
    Her deep, sexy voice

Trivia
    Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#6). [1995]

Ranked #20 in the AFI's top 25 Actress Legends.

She has a daughter and a son from her marriage to Humphrey Bogart: Leslie and Stephen H. Bogart.

Ranked #11 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Mother of actor Sam Robards.

Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World. [1997]

Bacall was staying in the same New York apartment building as Beatle John Lennon when he was shot (and later died on 8th December in the Roosevelt Hospital) in 1980. When interviewed on the subject in a recent UK TV programme hosted by former model Twiggy, Bacall said she had heard the gunshot but assumed that it was a car tire bursting or a vehicle backfiring.

Was crowned "Miss Greenwich Village" in 1942.

Used her mother's maiden name of Bacal, but added an extra "L" when she entered the cinema.

Shortly after Humphrey Bogart's death, she announced her engagement to Frank Sinatra to the press. Mr. Sinatra promptly backed out.

Her screen personna was totally based and modeled after Howard Hawks's wife, Slim. She even uses her name in To Have and Have Not (1944).

She and former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres (currently the foreign minister) are cousins. Both have the same original last name -- Perske.

Those close to her call her by her real first name, "Betty".

Still undiscovered, Bacall volunteered as a hostess at the New York chapter of the Stage Door Canteen, working Monday nights when theaters were closed.

Having lost her job as a showroom model and quit acting school for lack of funds, the teenage Bacall found work as a Broadway theater usher. George Jean Nathan voted her the prettiest usher of the 1942 season in the pages of "Esquire".

An only child.

One of the initial "Rat Pack" with Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Irving Paul Lazar (aka "Swifty" Lazar) and their close friends.

Won a Tony for her role as Margo Channing in the Broadway production of "Applause", a musical based on the movie, All About Eve (1950). It was presented by Walter Matthau.

With former husband Humphrey Bogart, has a kind of vocal disorder named after her. "Bogart-Bacall syndrome"' (or BBS) is a form of muscle tension dysphonia most common in professional voice users (actors, singers, TV/radio presenters, etc) who habitually use a very low speaking pitch. BBS is more common among women than men and has been blamed on "social pressure on professional women to compete with men in the business arena".

Starred, with her husband Humphrey Bogart, on the syndicated radio program "Bold Venture" (1951-1952). Her character's name was Sailor Duval.

Measurements: 34-26-34 (her 1940 modeling card) (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)

Her autobiography, "By Myself", won a National Book Award in 1980

Actress Kathleen Turner has often been compared to Bacall. When Turner and Bacall met, Turner reportedly introduced herself to Bacall by saying "Hi, I'm the young you."

Her marriage to Humphrey Bogart occured at the Pleasant Valley area of Richland County, Ohio home of Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Louis Bromfield, Malabar Farm (now within the township of Lucas, Ohio). The home is now an Ohio State Park.

Katharine Hepburn, her long-time friend, is the godmother of her son, Sam Robards.

Has won two Tony Awrds as Best Actress (Musical): in 1970, for her role as Margo Channing in "Applause", based on the movie, All About Eve (1950); and in 1981, for "Woman of the Year," also based on a movie of the same name, Woman of the Year (1942).

As of 2005 she is the only surviving legend mentioned in a popular phrase from Madonna's 1990 #1 hit song "Vogue". Other legends mentioned: Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Grace Kelly, Jean Harlow, Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth and Bette Davis, who all died before the release of the song. Marlene Dietrich, Joe DiMaggio, Marlon Brando, Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers, Katharine Hepburn and Lana Turner all died in following years.

Is mentioned along with former husband Humphrey Bogart in the 1980s song "Key Largo" ("We had it all, just like Bogart and Bacall").

Is portrayed by Kathryn Harrold in Bogie (1980) (TV)

Her appearance on a cover of Harper's Bazaar magazine at 18 years of age, led to her first film role; she was spotted by the wife of director Howard Hawks, who gave her a screen test and cast her in To Have and Have Not (1944).

Originally wanted to be a dancer.

A well respected actress for the past sixty years, she has only been nominated once for an Academy Award. She was 73 when nominated for The Mirror Has Two Faces.

Is half Romanian

Personal quotes
    "She's a real Joe. You'll fall in love with her like everybody else." - Humphrey Bogart

"I never believed marriage was a lasting institution... I thought that to be married for five years was to be married forever."

"I was this flat-chested, big-footed, lanky thing."

"I don't think being the only child of a single parent helped. I was always a little unsteady in my self-belief. Then there was the Jewish thing. I love being Jewish, I have no problem with it at all. But it did become like a scar, with all these people saying you don't look it."

"I remember my oldest son, Steve, saying to me once, 'I don't ever remember seeing you with an apron on.' And I thought, that's right, honey, you did not. That was his concept of what a mother should be."

"I would hate now [2005] to be married. It does occur to me on occasion that, if I fall and hit my head, there will be no one to make the phone call. But who wants to think about that disaster, I'd prefer not to."

"I am still working, I've never stopped and, while my health holds out, I won't stop."

"I put my career in second place throughout both my marriages and it suffered. I don't regret it. You make choices. If you want a good marriage, you must pay attention to that. If you want to be independent, go ahead. You can't have it all."

"Actors today go into TV, which I don't consider has a lot to do with acting. They only think of stardom. If you photograph well, that's enough. I have a terrible time distinguishing one from another. Girls wear their hair the same, and are much too anorexic-looking."

"We live in an age of mediocrity. Stars today are not the same stature as Bogie (Humphrey Bogart), James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart (James Stewart)."

"It's inappropriate and vulgar and absolutely unacceptable to use your private life to sell anything commercially, but I think it's kind of a sickness."

"A legend involves the past. I don't like categories. This one is great and that one is great. The word great stands for something. When you talk about a great actor, you're not talking about Tom Cruise."
    Salary
    Two Guys from Milwaukee (1946) $5,000
    To Have and Have Not (1944) $125/week

Mini Biography
    Lauren Bacall was born Betty Joan Perske on September 16, 1924 in New York City. Her parents were middle-class with her father working as a salesman and her mother as a secretary. They divorced when she was five. When she was a young school girl, Lauren originally wanted to be a dancer, but later became enthralled with acting so she switched gears to head into that field. She had studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York, after high school, which enabled her to get her feet wet in some off-Broadway productions.

Once out of school, Lauren entered modeling and, because of her beauty, appeared on the cover of Harper's Bazaar, one of the most popular magazines in the US. The wife of famed director, Howard Hawks spotted the picture in the publication and arranged with her husband to have Lauren take a screen test. As a result, which was entirely positive, she was given a part as Marie Browning in To Have and Have Not (1944), a thriller opposite the great Humphrey Bogart, when she was just 19 years old. This not only set the tone for a fabulous career, but also one of Hollywood's greatest love stories (she married him in 1945.) It was, also, the first of several Bogie-Bacall films.

After 1945's Confidential Agent (1945), Lauren received second billing in The Big Sleep (1946) with Bogart. The mystery, in the role of Vivian Sternwood Rutledge, was a resounding success. Although she was making one film a year, each production would be eagerly awaited by the public. In 1947, again with her husband, Lauren starred in the thriller Dark Passage (1947). The film kept movie patrons on the edge of their seats. The following year she starred with Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore in Key Largo (1948). The crime drama was even more of a nail biter than the previous film. In 1950, Lauren played in Bright Leaf (1950), a drama set in 1894. It was a film of note because she appeared without her husband - her co-star was Gary Cooper. In 1953, Lauren appeared in her first comedy as Schatze Page in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953). The film, with co-stars Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable, was a smash hit all across the theaters of America.

After filming Designing Woman (1957) which was released in 1957, Humphrey Bogart died on January 14, 1957 from throat cancer. Devastated at being a widow, Lauren returned to the silver screen with The Gift of Love (1958) in 1958 opposite Robert Stack. The production turned out to be a big disappointment. Not undaunted, Lauren moved back to New York City and appeared in several Broadway plays to huge critical acclaim. She was enjoying playing before live audiences and the audiences in turn enjoyed her fine performances. Lauren was away from the big screen for five years returning in 1964 to appear in Shock Treatment (1964) and Sex and the Single Girl (1964). The latter film was a comedy starring Henry Fonda and Tony Curtis. In 1966, Lauren starred in Harper (1966) with Paul Newman and Julie Harris. It was one of Newman's signature films. Alternating her time between films and the stage, Lauren returned in 1974's Murder on the Orient Express (1974). The film, based on Agatha Christie's best selling book was a huge hit. It, also, garnered Ingrid Bergman her third Oscar. Actually, the huge star studded cast helped to ensure its success. Two years later, in 1976, Lauren co-starred with John Wayne in The Shootist (1976). The film was Wayne's last - he died from cancer in 1979.

In 1981, Lauren played an actress being stalked by a crazed admirer in The Fan (1981). The thriller was absolutely fascinating with Lauren in the lead role. After that production, Lauren was away from films, again, this time for seven years. In the interim, she again appeared on the stages of Broadway. When she returned, it was for the filming of 1988's Mr. North (1988). After Misery (1990), in 1990, and several made for television films, Lauren appeared in 1996's My Fellow Americans (1996). It was a wonderful comedy romp with Jack Lemmon and James Garner as two ex-presidents and their escapades.
    Denny Jackson

Mini Biography-2
    from Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia:
    Her unforgettable instruction on whistling in her first film, 1944's To Have and Have Not is the thinking woman's variation on Mae West's "come up and see me some time," and that distinction provides a valuable clue to Bacall's uniqueness. Although the beautiful, lithe ex-model was dubbed "The Look" upon arriving in Hollywood, it was more than the raised eyebrow that made her irresistible when she finally got before the camera. It was the way she delivered a line-worldly but never jaded, slyly cynical but never sour-that cinched her appeal. Bacall broke into pictures courtesy of the then Mrs. Howard Hawks, who showed a "Harper's Bazaar" cover shot of Bacall to her producer/director husband. He had Bacall flown in from the East Coast almost instantly and cast her opposite Humphrey Bogart in To Have and Have Not The 19-year-old ingenue and 45-yearold screen star fell in love on the set, and married in 1945. They appeared together in three other films: In The Big Sleep (1946, also directed by Hawks), their uncanny chemistry rescued that picture from its impenetrable plot. While 1947's Dark Passage was the least interesting of their films together, 1948's classic Key Largo exploited their chemistry in a darker, more mature context.

Few of Bacall's other films were memorable; among her costarring vehicles were Confidential Agent (1945), Young Man With a Horn (1950), the very enjoyable How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), Woman's World (1954), The Cobweb, Blood Alley (both 1955), soap opera supreme, Written on the Wind (1956), The Gift of Love (1958), and Flame Over India (1959). She spent much of the 1950s caring for her ailing husband, until his death from cancer in 1957. In 1961 Bacall married actor Jason Robards, Jr. (they divorced in 1969). Her film appearances in the 1960s and 1970s were sporadic; indeed, she took eight years off from the screen between 1966 and 1974, coming back in Sidney Lumet's all-star adaptation of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. During her hiatus from Hollywood she worked on the stage, garnering kudos for her work in Broadway's "Applause." In 1981 she played a star terrorized by a crazed admirer in The Fan-touching a raw nerve in that era of John Hinckley and Mark Chapman-and since then has taken occasional supporting roles in telefilms and features, including that of James Caan's agent in Misery (1990), a costarring part opposite Anthony Quinn in the unreleased A Star for Two and the hostess (originally played by Billie Burke) in the TV remake of Dinner at Eight (1989). In 1993 she reunited with Gregory Peck (her costar in 1957's romantic comedy Designing Woman for the enjoyable TV movie The Portrait and costarred in A Foreign Field with Alec Guinness. Her distinctive voice has also been heard with growing frequency on TV commercials.
    Copyright © 1994 Leonard Maltin, used by arrangement with Signet, a division of Penguin Putnam, Inc.

Filmography
    Actress
    1. Firedog (2005) (post-production) (voice) .... Posche
    2. These Foolish Things (2006) .... Dame Lydia
    3. Manderlay (2005) .... Mam
    4. Birth (2004) .... Eleanor
    5. Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004) (voice: English version) .... Witch of the Waste
    ... aka Howl's Moving Castle (International: English title) (USA)
    6. Amália Traïda (2004) .... TV anouncer
    7. Dogville (2003) .... Ma Ginger
    ... aka Dogville (France)
    ... aka U - Der Film 'Dogville' erzählt in neun Kapiteln und einem Prolog. (Germany)
    8. The Limit (2003) .... May
    ... aka Gone Dark (USA: DVD title)
    9. Presence of Mind (1999) .... Mado Remei
    ... aka Celo, El (Spain)
    10. The Venice Project (1999) .... Countess Camilla Volta
    11. Diamonds (1999) .... Sin-Dee
    12. Madeline: Lost in Paris (1999) (voice) .... Madame Lacroque
    13. "Too Rich: The Secret Life of Doris Duke" (1999) (mini) TV Series .... Doris Duke (elderly)
    14. "Chicago Hope"
    - Absent Without Leave (1998) TV Episode .... Samara Visco Klein
    - Risky Business (1998) TV Episode .... Samara Visco Klein
    15. The Man Who Had Everything (1998) (TV) (voice) (also archive footage) .... Narrator
    16. Jour et la nuit, Le (1997) .... Sonia
    ... aka Día y la noche, El (Mexico)
    ... aka Day and Night
    17. My Fellow Americans (1996) .... Margaret Kramer
    18. The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996) .... Hannah Morgan
    19. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (1995) (TV) .... Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    20. Prêt-à-Porter (1994) .... Slim Chrysler
    ... aka Prêt-à-Porter: Ready to Wear (Canada: English title)
    ... aka Ready to Wear
    21. A Foreign Field (1993) .... Lisa
    ... aka We Shall Meet Again
    22. The Parallax Garden (1993) (TV)
    23. The Portrait (1993) (TV) .... Fanny Church
    24. All I Want for Christmas (1991) .... Lillian Brooks
    25. A Star for Two (1991)
    26. Misery (1990) .... Marcia Sindell
    27. The Real Story of the Three Little Kittens (1990) (V) (voice) .... Freezelda
    28. A Little Piece of Sunshine (1990) (TV) .... Beatrix Coltrane

29. Dinner at Eight (1989) (TV) .... Carlotta Vance
    30. "The Dame Edna Experience"
    - Episode #2.5 (1989) TV Episode
    31. Tree of Hands (1989) .... Marsha Archdale
    ... aka Innocent Victim (USA)
    32. Mr. North (1988) .... Mrs. Amelia Cranston
    33. Appointment with Death (1988) .... Lady Westholme
    34. The Fan (1981) .... Sally Ross
    35. HealtH (1980) .... Esther Brill
    36. "The Rockford Files"
    ... aka Jim Rockford, Private Investigator (USA: syndication title)
    - Lions, Tigers, Monkeys and Dogs: Part 2 (1979) TV Episode .... Kendall Warren
    - Lions, Tigers, Monkeys and Dogs: Part 1 (1979) TV Episode .... Kendall Warren
    37. Perfect Gentlemen (1978) (TV) .... Mrs. Lizzie Martin
    38. The Shootist (1976) .... Bond Rogers
    39. Murder on the Orient Express (1974) .... Mrs. Harriet Belinda Hubbard
    40. Applause (1973) (TV) .... Margo Channing
    41. Harper (1966) .... Elaine Sampson
    ... aka The Moving Target (UK)
    42. "Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theatre"
    ... aka The Chrysler Theater
    ... aka Universal Star Time (syndication title)
    - Double Jeopardy (1965) TV Episode .... Amanda/Barbara
    43. Sex and the Single Girl (1964) .... Sylvia Broderick
    44. "Mr. Broadway"
    - Something to Sing About (1964) TV Episode .... Barbara Lake
    45. Shock Treatment (1964) .... Dr. Edwina Beighley
    46. "Dr. Kildare"
    - The Oracle (1963) TV Episode .... Virginia Herson
    47. "The DuPont Show of the Week"
    - A Dozen Deadly Roses (1963) TV Episode .... Lorraine Boswell
    48. North West Frontier (1959) .... Catherine Wyatt
    ... aka Flame Over India (USA)
    49. The Gift of Love (1958) .... Julie Beck
    50. Designing Woman (1957) .... Marilla Brown Hagen
    51. Written on the Wind (1956) .... Lucy Moore Hadley
    52. Blithe Spirit (1956) (TV) .... Elvira Condomine
    53. "Ford Star Jubilee"
    - Blithe Spirit (1956) TV Episode .... Elvira
    54. Blood Alley (1955) .... Cathy Grainger
    ... aka William A. Wellman's Blood Alley (USA: complete title)
    55. The Cobweb (1955) .... Meg Faversen Rinehart
    56. "Producers' Showcase"
    - The Petrified Forest (????) TV Episode .... Gaby Maple
    57. Woman's World (1954/I) .... Elizabeth Burns
    ... aka A Woman's World (USA)
    58. How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) .... Schatze Page
    59. Bright Leaf (1950) .... Sonia Kovac
    60. Young Man with a Horn (1950) .... Amy North
    ... aka Young Man of Music (UK)
    ... aka Young Man with a Trumpet (Australia)
    61. Key Largo (1948) .... Nora Temple
    62. Dark Passage (1947) .... Irene Jansen
    63. The Big Sleep (1946) .... Vivian Sternwood Rutledge
    64. Confidential Agent (1945) .... Rose Cullen
    65. To Have and Have Not (1944) .... Marie 'Slim' Browning

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. Dogville Confessions (2003) (thanks)
    2. S1m0ne (2002) (simone wishes to thank the following for their contribution to the making of simone)
    3. Nighthawks (1998) (dedicatee)
    4. The Fan (1981) (singer: "Hearts, Not Diamonds")
    5. The Big Sleep (1946) (singer: "And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine") (uncredited)
    6. To Have and Have Not (1944) (singer: "How Little We Know") (uncredited)

Herself
    1. "The Hollywood Greats"
    ... aka Hollywood Greats (USA: new title)
    - Lauren Bacall (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Kirk Douglas (2003) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Judy Garland (????) TV Episode .... Herself
    2. "On ne peut pas plaire à tout le monde"
    ... aka O.N.P.P. (France: short title)
    ... aka ONPP vu de la loge (France: summer title)
    ... aka ONPP vu de la plage (France: summer title)
    ... aka ONPP vu du bocal (France: summer title)
    ... aka ONPP vu du désert (France: summer title)
    - Episode dated 1 May 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    3. "The Paul O'Grady Show"
    - Episode #2.22 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    4. "Parkinson"
    - Episode dated 9 April 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 23 October 2004 (2004) TV Episode .... Herself
    5. "CBS News Sunday Morning"
    ... aka Sunday Morning
    - Episode dated 13 March 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    6. "The Early Show"
    ... aka The Saturday Early Show (USA: weekend title)
    - Episode dated 2 March 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    7. "The View"
    - Episode dated 2 March 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    8. "Today"
    ... aka NBC News Today (USA: promotional title)
    ... aka The Today Show (USA)
    - Episode dated 1 March 2005 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    9. The Road to Manderlay (2005) (TV) .... Herself
    10. "GMTV"
    - Episode dated 8 September 2004 (2004) TV Episode .... Herself
    11. "Great Performances"
    - Broadway's Lost Treasures II (2004) TV Episode .... Herself
    12. "V Graham Norton"
    - Episode #5.36 (2003) TV Episode .... Herself
    13. Nicole Kidman: An American Cinematheque Tribute (2003) (TV) .... Herself
    14. "Tribeca Film Festival Presents" (2003) (mini) TV Series .... Herself
    15. "The Rosie O'Donnell Show"
    - Episode dated 7 June 2002 (2002) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 27 March 2000 (2000) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 19 February 1999 (1999) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 20 November 1996 (1996) TV Episode .... Herself
    16. New York at the Movies (2002) (TV) .... Herself
    17. Liza Minnelli: The E! True Hollywood Story (2002) (TV) .... Herself
    18. Greta Garbo: A Lone Star (2001) (TV) (voice) .... Herself/Narrator
    19. "So Graham Norton"
    - Episode #4.2 (2000) TV Episode .... Herself
    20. "Private View" (2000) TV Series .... Interviewer
    21. "Late Show with David Letterman"
    ... aka Late Show Backstage (USA: title for episodes with guest hosts)
    ... aka The Late Show (USA: informal short title)
    - Episode dated 4 January 2000 (2000) TV Episode .... Herself

22. A Conversation with Gregory Peck (1999) .... Herself
    23. "The Howard Stern Radio Show"
    - Episode dated 20 March 1999 (1999) TV Episode .... Herself
    24. Get Bruce (1999) .... Herself
    ... aka Get Bruce! (USA: promotional title)
    25. "The Directors"
    - The Films of Barbra Streisand (1999) TV Episode .... Herself
    - The Films of Rob Reiner (????) TV Episode .... Herself
    26. 5th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards (1999) (TV)
    27. The Best of Film Noir (1999) (V) .... Herself
    28. "Inside the Actors Studio"
    - Episode #4.5 (1998) TV Episode .... Herself
    29. 4th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards (1998) (TV)
    30. Intimate Portrait: Lauren Bacall (1998) (TV) .... Herself
    31. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1997) (TV) .... Herself (Honoree)
    32. The Music of Kander and Ebb: Razzle Dazzle (1997) (TV) .... Herself
    33. Sports on the Silver Screen (1997) (TV) (uncredited) .... Herself
    34. Humphrey Bogart: You Must Remember This... (1997) (TV) .... Herself
    35. The Line King: The Al Hirschfeld Story (1996) .... Herself
    ... aka The Line King
    36. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1994) (TV) .... Herself
    37. "Hollywood Women" (1994) (mini) TV Series .... Herself
    38. Leonard Bernstein: The Gift of Music (1993) (TV) (voice) .... Narrated by
    39. "Aspel & Company"
    - Episode #10.9 (1993) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode #6.14 (1989) TV Episode .... Herself
    40. "The Full Wax"
    - Episode #2.1 (1992) TV Episode .... Herself
    41. Casablanca 50th Anniversary Special: You Must Remember This (1992) (V) (voice) .... Narrator
    42. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1991) (TV) .... Herself
    43. The American Film Institute Salute to Kirk Douglas (1991) (TV) .... Herself
    44. 7th Annual American Cinema Awards (1990) (TV) .... Herself/presenter
    45. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1990) (TV) .... Herself
    46. John Huston: The Man, the Movies, the Maverick (1989) .... Herself
    ... aka John Huston (USA)
    47. The American Film Institute Salute to Gregory Peck (1989) (TV) .... Herself
    48. Bacall on Bogart (1988) (TV) .... Host/narrator
    49. The 59th Annual Academy Awards (1987) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter: Best Costume Design
    50. The American Film Institute Salute to John Huston (1983) (TV) .... Herself/Hostess
    51. The Wayne Newton Special (1982) (TV)
    52. Night of 100 Stars (1982) (TV) .... Herself
    53. The 35th Annual Tony Awards (1981) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter
    54. "The Barbara Walters Special"
    ... aka The Barbara Walters Summer Special (USA: repeat compilations title)
    - Episode #5.3 (1981) TV Episode .... Herself
    55. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1980) (TV) .... Herself
    56. "Live From Lincoln Center"
    ... aka Great Performances: Live from Lincoln Center (USA)
    - The Film Society of Lincoln Center: A Tribute to John Huston (1980) TV Episode .... Herself
    57. Circus of the Stars #3 (1979) (TV) .... Herself - Ringmaster
    58. The 51st Annual Academy Awards (1979) (TV) .... Herself - Co-Presenter: Writing Awards
    59. The 32nd Annual Tony Awards (1978) (TV) .... Herself
    60. "CBS: On the Air" (1978) (mini) TV Series
    61. Salute to Lew Grade (1975) (TV) .... Herself
    62. The 47th Annual Academy Awards (1975) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter: Best Costume Design
    63. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
    ... aka The Best of Carson (USA: rerun title)
    - Episode dated 11 December 1974 (1974) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 9 April 1971 (1971) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 13 April 1970 (1970) TV Episode .... Herself

64. The 23rd Annual Tony Awards (1969) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter
    65. "The Match Game"
    - Episode dated 15 January 1968 (1968) TV Episode .... Herself
    66. "ABC Stage 67"
    - The Light Fantastic (1967) TV Episode .... Herself
    67. "What's My Line?"
    - Episode dated 19 December 1965 (1965) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode dated 8 November 1953 (1953) TV Episode .... Herself
    68. "Password"
    ... aka Password All-Stars (USA: new title)
    - Lauren Bacall vs. Jack Palance (1965) TV Episode .... Herself

69. "Toast of the Town"
    ... aka The Ed Sullivan Show (new title)
    - Episode #9.41 (1956) TV Episode .... Herself
    - Episode #5.6 (1951) TV Episode .... Herself
    70. The 27th Annual Academy Awards (1955) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter: Scientific & Technical Awards
    71. 1955 Motion Picture Theatre Celebration (1955) (uncredited) .... Herself
    72. Light's Diamond Jubilee (1954) (TV) .... Herself
    73. A Star Is Born World Premiere (1954) (TV) .... Herself

74. Hollywood Wonderland (1947) .... Herself (in photo)
    75. Two Guys from Milwaukee (1946) (uncredited) .... Herself
    ... aka Royal Flush (UK)

Archive Footage
    1. "Cinema mil"
    - Episode #1.11 (2005) TV Episode .... Herself
    2. Premio Donostia a Willem Dafoe (2005) (TV) .... Herself
    3. Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days (2001) (TV) (uncredited) .... Herself
    4. Pulp Cinema (2001) (V) .... Herself
    5. Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall (2000) (TV) .... Herself
    6. The 71st Annual Academy Awards (1999) (TV) (uncredited) .... Lisa
    7. "The Rat Pack" (1999) .... Herself
    8. "Cold War" (1998) (mini) (uncredited) .... Herself
    9. Warner Bros. 75th Anniversary: No Guts, No Glory (1998) (TV) (uncredited)
    10. "The Fifties" (1997) (mini) (uncredited) .... Herself (concerned about HUAC)
    11. Judy Garland's Hollywood (1997) (V)
    12. Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's (1997) (uncredited) .... Herself (with Bogie)
    13. Classe américaine, La (1993) .... Christelle
    14. One on One: Classic Television Interviews (1993) (TV) .... Herself
    15. Katharine Hepburn: All About Me (1993) (TV) .... Herself
    16. Sixty Years of Seduction (1981) (TV) .... Herself
    17. Due Kennedy, I (1969) (uncredited) .... Herself

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Lauren Bacall made just 2 films with Duke,

The Shootist (1976) .... Bond Rogers
    Blood Alley (1955) .... Cathy Grainger

Originally of course, in Blood Alley Duke wanted Humphrey Bogart to play
    the lead, but he declined, due to the price.
    Lauen Bacall, was cast as the leading lady.
    When Duke finally took the part, he and Lauren, got along famously,
    even though they had opposing political views.
    Duke admired her backbone, her confidence in her beliefs, her humour,
    and her ability to express her convictions.

5e077e236e64548c88dfe52db2b48116.jpg

During the making of The Shootist , Lauren, claimed that

Duke was ornery, but then again, insisted, that he'd always been ornery!
    I knew he felt rotten all the time..but he never complained..
    Once he said, 'God, I can't smoke anymore, can't drink anymore, all the fun's gone'.

Lauren sensed that Duke was struggling with his own mortality,

A crew member at the time commented,

One day when we were wating for the set to be lighted,
    Wayne took Bacall's hand, and held it.

and Duke said

"Boy it's a beautiful day!"...Everyday you wake up, is a beautiful day"

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Feb 22 2006, 03:07 AM
    During the making of The Shootist, Lauren, claimed that

Lauren sensed that Duke was struggling with his own mortality

[snapback]27742[/snapback]

[/b]

Why would he have said this back in 1955? Wasn't he still smoking and drinking then? Had cancer reared its ugly head yet?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi

(photos from my own collection)

Looking at the photographs at the beginning of this thread they seem to have been taken during the seventies or even later. These are showing how she looked early in her career displaying 'The Look' for which she bacame known. This one was taken to highlight her place as one of the mpire Magazines 100 Most Sexiest Woman.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

(photograph from my own collection)

And heres another version of the Look, slighty quizzical perhaps? At present I'm reading her book, I haven't reached the part where she played next to John Wayne.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Kieth

Great photographs. n her book she says that despite Bogart having black moods when he was very very drunk, the time she spent with him was the best time of her life. They seemed to be an idllyic couple.

And like Jim and Sue I never tire of looking at her photographs.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Lauren Bacall, 2 others receive early Oscars

LOS ANGELES – Without the burden of a live worldwide broadcast, members of the film academy threw themselves a lively yet relaxed dinner party to honor the first Oscar winners of the season.
    The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences broke with tradition and presented its honorary Oscars off-camera Saturday night, months ahead of the televised ceremony in March.
    Actress Lauren Bacall, B-movie king Roger Corman and "Godfather" cinematographer Gordon Willis each received Oscar statuettes during the black-tie banquet at the Grand Ballroom above the Kodak Theatre, the same room where the annual post-Academy Awards Governors Ball is held.
    In addition, producer John Calley was honored with the Irving J. Thalberg Memorial Award, recognizing career accomplishments that include "Catch-22," "The Remains of the Day" and "The Da Vinci Code."
    Each of the recipients was chosen by the academy's Board of Governors.
    Tom Hanks, Jack Nicholson, Annette Bening, Morgan Freeman and Steven Spielberg were among the 600 invited guests at the inaugural Governors Awards event.
    "We're gathered here together, all artists, celebrating excellence without any television cameras — isn't it great?" said veteran producer Norman Jewison.
    Warren Beatty agreed: "It's so much better ... that nobody's worrying whether 36.5 million people are watching us or 29.2," he said.
    Guests drank Champagne and dined on filet mignon as each honoree was celebrated with tributes, toasts and a generous montage of film clips — leisurely elements not possible in previous years when special-Oscar presentations were built into the already-crowded Oscar broadcast.
    Corman, 83, was the first to be honored Saturday night. The longtime producer-director was lauded for being a champion of independent and efficient filmmaking and for promoting women to positions of leadership long before it was popular.
    Quentin Tarantino said the man behind films such as "Bloody Mama" and "X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes," inspired him to become a filmmaker. He praised Corman for his "undeniable impact on the industry, both as a business and as an art form."
    "The movie lovers of planet earth thank you," Tarantino said.
    Ron Howard credited Corman with giving him his start as a filmmaker, saying working for Corman was "a badge of honor."
    Corman's advice to his peers? "Keep gambling. Keep taking chances."
    Kirk Douglas honored Bacall, his friend for more than 60 years, and confessed that he once tried to seduce her — "without success."
    Anjelica Huston presented the award to the legendary actress, saying she "defines what it means to be a great actress and also a huge movie star" and praising her "steadfastness, honesty and extraordinary beauty."
    Ever feisty, the 85-year-old actress shooed away an escort who tried to help her to the podium to accept her Oscar.
    She spoke of her late husband, "my great love" Humphrey Bogart, and her dashing leading men: Douglas, Gregory Peck and Henry Fonda.
    Bacall said she did not expect to receive an Oscar but gratefully welcomed the honor.
    "The thought when I get home that I'm going to have a two-legged man in my room is so exciting," she quipped.

Though not televised, the Governors Awards were taped and portions will be shown during the 82nd annual Academy Awards on March 7, 2010.
    ___