There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,832 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

I was sad to hear of Gene Pitney's sad death yesterday. I saw him many years ago at a concert in Portsmouth.

I also think it was a shame that his song The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance wasn't used in the film.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I remember my dad listening to him, he had a album. I think the name of the song that was a hit was "Only Love Can Break a Heart" Cannot remember for sure though.
    RIP Gene.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hello All
    I have the 45 record with Gene Pitney doing Liberty Valance on the A side and Gene doing Half Heaven Half heartache on the B side. The record was released by Quality as part of the Golden Treasures series by Musicor records. (manufactured in canada). murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi William

This should give you an idea on Gene Pitney

The article is quite right in that the song was never sung in the film but if you watch the trailer the song and singer are mentioned. Why it was never used I don't know for certain. My own opinion and I stress that it is my own opinion, is that thesong was too upbeat for the film. The entire mood of the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was one of sombre nostalgia. Critics and experts all state that Ford was pining for the West that was and was fast coming to an end. The theme music likewise apart from the beginning resembled the romantic parts heard in How The West Was Won and although I am not a musical expert I think he music was scored to deliberately reflect this attitude.

It would be interesting to hear other opinions.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Good post Arthur. Gene Pitney was one of my absolute favorites back in the day. I always loved his music. I've been to a few oldies concerts over the last few years and always wished he would've done one that I could see. He did do one here in Detroit a few years back but, I didn't hear about it till afterward. The man was one of the best. My two most favorites were I'm Gonna Be Strong and 24 Hours From Tulsa. But, I also liked Half Heaven Half Heartache, Only Love Can Break A Heart, Last Exit To Brooklyn, I Must Be Seeing things, Backstage, Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I Wanna Love My Life Away, Every Breath I Take, Mecca, True Love Never Runs Smooth, It Hurts To Be In Love, She's A Heartbreaker, Town Without Pity. He did one by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, That Girl Belongs To Yesterday. To me, he was one of the best ever. He'll be missed.