Sign In: The Colditz Story.

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,952 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :D Ha ha, I got a good laugh at a painted sign that was shown in The Colditz Story. It was in four languages: Polish, French, English and German.

Im Deutsch:

Es ist Verboten mit Gefangenen in Einzelhaft zu sprechen.

Translation:

It is forbidden to speak to prisoners in solitary confinement.

:D Reminds me of the old days when I used to be a Correctional Officer.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl

The Colditz Story is quite a good film as is the book by Pat Reid. One of our National Newspapers is giving away a series of classic British films and the Colditz Story is among them. If iIremember correctly the Poles were among the best escapers and set the standard for the rest and, like most camps some did (including Reid) manage to escape.

Also in Colditz was Douglas Bader who tried to escape so many times that eventually the Germans took his legs away.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, I too thought that The Colditz Story was a great film. This film had several of my most favorite actors in it: Sir John Mills, Eric Portman, Anton Differing and Theodor Bikel. In fact, I think Theodor Bikel played one og the Polish officers and was very convincing. Anton Differing was a German officer. I thought Eric Portman was great as the British Colonel and ranking POW officer. Sir John Mills also gave a great performance.

This film was true to the real story as The Great Escape was true to Mr. Brickhill's great book.

I have heard much about Sir Douglas Bader. I have much respect for this great flyer and as a person so devoted to duty to his country by continuing his combat flying after losing both his legs.

You are correct about the Poles being some of the best escapers there. If I remember tonight, I will get you a tally of the home-run "scores" they made.

This film is among my top 25 all-time fmost favorite movies. B) :D

• One thing I might add about Sir John Mills is that I sure wish the movie company that has the rights to the great movie: "Dunkirk" I wish they would release that fine film.

A small bit of trivia about Dunkirk and the real history. Did you know that the surviving Officer (Herbert Lightholler) from the Titanic, actually helped with the rescuing of many British and some French Soldiers from the evacuation of Dunkirk. His exploits were also featured in that great film.

• Hi all

Carl, I watched The Colditz Story last night on BBC 4
    followed by "A Bridge To Far" which is a great war movie.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Emmanuel, I sure wish we had those channels over here as in my area, we don't get but a VERY few of those great movies made in England or elsewhere. Aye, I also like very much: A Bridge Too Far. I thought that Michael Caine was great as Colonel Joe Vandeleur of the Irish Armored Brigade. The whole cast was excellent to say the least.

Are you familiar with: The Password Is Courage w/ Dirk Bogarde? Bogarde plays British Artillery Sergeant Major Coward. I think SM Coward was also the -- or one of the, military advisors for this fine film.

• Hi Carl

I have seen THE PASSWORD IS COURAGE
    a couple of times, Dirk Bogarde plays a British
    soldier in a POW camp in WWII. It was based
    on a true story, a kind of a poor man's GREAT ESCAPE.
    but a very good movie.

Now here's a thing!!

Richard Attenborough, who directed A BRIDGE TO FAR,
    and co-stared with John Wayne in BRANNIGAN.
    Is in Belfast at the moment. He is directing a new movie,
    it's about A United States B-17 crashing in 1943 on cave hill
    in Belfast during WWII. A dying gunner gives a ring to a local,
    so it can be returned to his girlfriend in the USA. Fifty years
    later a man finds the ring, tracks down the girlfriend and the
    history of the ring. the story is set in Belfast and North Carolina,
    it stars Shirley MacLaine, who has been in Belfast for a few weeks
    filmng in the north of the city. It will be released in 2007.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Hi All

I have a copy of the Colditz Story on DVD (Region 2) came with a recent newspaper promotion. I have watched it so if anyone is interested in having it send me an email and I will post to them.

First come first served basis

Mike :)

• Good evening all,
    I agree that THE COLDITZ STORY is one of my all time favourite films along with THE PASSWORD IS COURAGE. I was fortunate enought to meet Douglas Bader when I was in the Air Training Corps in England in the late fifties. I also had the pleasure of meeting John Mills through my father. One thing that struck me about Douglas Bader was that he couldn't abide slackness or failure. John Mills was an absolute gentleman. But both men are greatly admired. Keep up the comments as it is interesting to read them.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Hi Arthur, Emmanuel DukePilgrim and Redcap,

Arthur, Thanks for letting me know today is Theodor Bikels birthday, I wish I could send him some greetings--from one Taurus to another ;-))

Emmanuel, I too have seen that most excellent film more than once. In fact, the first time I remember seeing it was election day for Pres of the US back when Ronald Wilson Reagan was running for the 2nd time. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Dirk Bogarde as R.A. SgtMaj Coward. I sure wish I could get this movie on DvD as well.

I've always liked Richard Attenborough. The first time I can remember seeing him on the screen was when I saw him in: The Sand Pebbles as "Frenchy" w/ Steve McQueen. I had not known that he was in a movie w/ The Duke--thanks for that as well :-))

That movie sounds like it will be a good one. i for one will go see it if it is played locally. :D

Hi Redcap, welcome to this fine site.

You certainly were lucky to have met two whom I would have loved to have met. Sir John Mills is one of my many favorite movie stars from the U.K. Bader is one I have read about and would always like to learn more about. In a way, I coould almost put A Password Is Courage on an even standing with The Great Escape. Both movies really have their own standout merits.

BTW, Sir John Mills was at the world premier of: The Wild Geese. I saw some newsreel footage about the event.

As you can tell, I love movies made in the U.K. as much as the ones made here in the USA.

Cheers and best regards--TRK.

• Hi Karl

Strange that we were talking aboutDougla Badaer and this article appeared in last nights local paper. he was stationed for a time at Tangmere which is just outside of Chichester and about threequarters of an hours drive from where I live not that I can drive but its on the bus route. Its got a very interesting museum.

I thought kenneth Moore played him very well in Reach For The Sky.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi Arthur, thanks for posting that article. If ever I can make it for a vacation across the pond, I would love to visit Tangmere and Chichester. Oddly enough, I have heard some on both places. Is this not the place that has a Cathedral that has the famous stain glass windows that honors the American Paratroopers??

I agree on Kenneth More, he does an excellent job in every film I have ever seen him in. Some of my more favorites with him include: "A Night To Remember, Sink The Bismarck and The Battle Of Britain." I am wondering if he was not also in "Dunkirk?"

Thanks Mate--C.

• Hi Carl

Chichester certainly has a big cathedral you can see the spire for miles not sure about the window but you're probably right.

The museum is very small but contains I think at least two spitfires and a hurricane while outside there is a sabre fighter plane. I know these planes fought in Korea but not sure about WWII perhaps William can enlighten us about that.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, thanks for this. Now I doubly defintely want to go visit there. Spitfires & Hurricanes are some of my most favorite of all WWII "Birds." They are only just beat by the P-51 D-Mustang. Aye--i'd like to see that F-86 Sabre too.

Cheers to you my friend.

C.

• Hi all

I've just watched "ICE COLD IN ALEX"
    starring Sir John Mills. It made
    me want a cold beer. ;)

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• I last saw ICiA about 20 or so years ago. I remember liking it very much but I do not remember anything about it though. :( This movie and: Dunkirk w/ Sir John Mills DEFINATELY need to be released on DvD..