What Is It About Gary Cooper?

There are 21 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,784 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have been sitting at times wondering why Gary Cooper sets me off wrong. I try and watch his movies like, High Noon, Mr Deeds Goes to Town, Springfield Rifle, Meet John Doe, They Came to Cordura , and others. I can't pin point it, but he just doesn't click with me. Is it his movies he does, his acting , or his movie roles (characters he plays), or just him? I can't figure it out.

Is there anyone who feels the same as I do or maybe can anyone tell me what I am talking about? I know he is a friend of Duke's but he never did a movie with Cooper. Did he see something in his movies that kept him from doing a movie with Cooper?

By the way, Gary Cooper died a day before I was born. Is that eerie?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo, Not being a huge fan of Gary's either, but I do like 3 of his movies. High Noon, The Pride of the Yankees, and Sergeant York. I know what you are saying though, I have trouble focusing on some older movies but I tend to chock it up to me just needing to be in a certain mood to watch them. I do apprecitate what he did for the western so I will always give his films a chance and see if I like them.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Mike

Nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Strictly speaking Gary Cooper and John Wayne have shared the same bill together namely:- The Voice of Hollywood No 13

George Bancroft .... Himself
    El Brendel .... Himself
    Gary Cooper .... Himself
    Jackie Cooper .... Himself
    Allen 'Farina' Hoskins .... Studio master of ceremonies (as Farina)
    Thelma Todd .... Miss Information
    Lupe Velez .... Herself

John Wayne .... Announcer

true it was only a 12 minute short but its there.

I think Cooper and Wayne share many things in common. Duke wanted to do the Winning of Barbara Worth but Cooper got the part.
    During the McCarthy era Cooper testified against the threat of communism as Wayne campaigned against it.

Cooper starred in High Noon a film that John Wayne at first hated and spoke out loudly against, but then accepted Gary Coopers Best Actor Academy Award on his behalf.

Finally Rio Bravo came about as a direct rebuttal to High Noon.

I personally liked Gary Cooper's pictures his manner was slow and laconic but I would think thats how he was, but he did make good pictures.

Any way as I said previously glad to see you back, take care

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I agree with Hondo Duke Lane I like some of his movies especially SGT York I think it maybe his screen presence very mellow happy go lucky and it seems his acting style was always that in every movie also Gary Cooper (I may be wrong) I am pretty sure he was much older and his style was much more of the early 20s this is just IMO :cowboy:

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• I personally have always found Randolph Scott and his movies to be dour with Ride the high country an exception, although I seem to be alone with this opinion.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• In case some think that I have completely lost it, what I am trying to say is that I have the same opinion of Scott as Mike has of Cooper.

I personally like Coopers ackward persona although I never was a fan of one of his more acclaimed movies, namely 'For whom the bells toll'.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• This is what I wanted hear but what was it that made him stand out? He did great movies, but for some reason he didn't cross over as a legend. Again, I know of his untimely death. He only lived to be 60 years old. That's not very old. But Humphrey Bogart was only 57 years old when he died. And he was considered the best of all best actors in the business.

I do know that he was well respected in the acting community but again, what is it about him that is different from other actors? Was he not as convincing as the others?

Cheers B)

P.S. Good to be back Arthur; and good to hear from you.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo, I too used to not care much for Gary Cooper but, you just have to give him more time to "grow on you."

What I mean is, try watching severl other of his movies--some are not so well-known as others. For instance, try watching some like: Beau Geste, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Marco Polo, Seminole? The Unconquored etc, and you will begin to come around to really liking him as I did. It took me several years to come around and start liking him as much as I now do and his movies are definately well worth watching.

On TCM a few days ago, I cought about the last half of a movie he did where he was playing the part of a professor and was with a group of professors. I do not know tha name of the movie but it was one of his lessor known ones and also had: Dan Duryea and Dana Andrews in it. It was a comedy and was pretty funny. Its also nice to watch a movie in which Dan Duryea does NOT get killed.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 3 2006, 01:28 PM
    On TCM a few days ago, I cought about the last half of a movie he did where he was playing the part of a professor and was with a group of professors. I do not know tha name of the movie but it was one of his lessor known ones and also had: Dan Duryea and Dana Andrews in it. It was a comedy and was pretty funny. Its also nice to watch a movie in which Dan Duryea does NOT get killed.

[snapback]35332[/snapback]

That was "Ball of Fire" with Barbara Stanwick. It was remade a few years later with Danny Kaye in "A Song is Born," a kind of musical updating :lol: !!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I'll guaran-damn-tee that y'all will like Cooper in "Friendly Persuasion". It's one of the best feel-good movies ever made, of whatever genre.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I think Gary Cooper's OK,
    He seemed a good solid fella,
    and a decent bloke.
    His films were good, and he acted well.
    Duke thought the world of him,
    and I guess, Duke was a decent
    judge of actor and character.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Oct 3 2006, 04:32 PM
    That was "Ball of Fire" with Barbara Stanwick. It was remade a few years later with Danny Kaye in "A Song is Born," a kind of musical updating :lol: !!
    Cheers - Jay :D

[snapback]35336[/snapback]

Hi Jay, thanks for that! I hope this one will be released on DvD. Now there is another movie title that is a mystery to me but this time it has Errol Flynn in it in a comedy role. I saw this sometime last year on TCM (I think when I was in the hospital) and all I remember was that he was "at odds" with the wealthy father of some gal he wanted to go out with and also probably get married to. I also remember that he (Errol Flynn) and that gal's father, both had a "thing" for toy trains.

If you or anyone can remember the title to that, i'll buy you a 6 pack of Mr. Pibb. (Free shipping only in the USA) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 3 2006, 12:28 PM
    Hondo, I too used to not care much for Gary Cooper but, you just have to give him more time to "grow on you."

What I mean is, try watching severl other of his movies--some are not so well-known as others. For instance, try watching some like: Beau Geste, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Marco Polo, Seminole? The Unconquored etc, and you will begin to come around to really liking him as I did. It took me several years to come around and start liking him as much as I now do and his movies are definately well worth watching.

Grow on me, uh? Well I have to admit I haven't seen the ones you mentioned so I will give it a try.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Oct 3 2006, 03:35 PM
    I'll guaran-damn-tee that y'all will like Cooper in "Friendly Persuasion". It's one of the best feel-good movies ever made, of whatever genre.

[snapback]35338[/snapback]

Is this movie out on DVD, Stumpy?

I'm not so sure what you mean by "quite plain." Maybe you can expain what you mean by that.

Thanks for some of your comments. I will take into account what you said and see the movies that some of you suggest. I am open minded.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Try "Along Came Jones "
    Ya can't dislike him in that!

Also there was talk between the three, Duke , Coop and Gable so I have heard.
    But both Coop and Gable died before it could take place.

It was to be called "THE ALAMO"

Rick

SASS 39065 Life
    BOLD 114

• Now that's interesting, Rick, I've heard that Duke was interested in Bogart playing Crockett, but didn't know about Coop. Bogart died in '57 so that went out.

And thanks for the movie info on "Alone Came Jones." I'll have alot of watching to do.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Oct 5 2006, 11:55 PM
    Is this movie out on DVD, Stumpy?

Yes it is, Hondo.

Here's a synopsis.

It's a wonderful movie, I think.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by Stumpy@Oct 3 2006, 05:35 PM
    I'll guaran-damn-tee that y'all will like Cooper in "Friendly Persuasion". It's one of the best feel-good movies ever made, of whatever genre.

[snapback]35338[/snapback]

Stumpy, I agree with you on Friendly Persuasion. It's definitely a Cooper must-see film. It's available here at DeepDiscountDvd.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi Hondo, please do watch these, and I believe that you will greatly enjoy them. My favorites are: Sgt York, Springfield Rifle, BEAU GESTE, Along Came Jones, Ball of Fire, Unconquored and The Lives of a Bengal Lancer--just to name a few.