Edward Faulkner

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,267 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• EDWARD FAULKNER

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of Birth
    February 29, 1932 (Leap Year!)
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Height
    6' 3" (1.91 m)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Ed Faulkner / Ted Faulkner

Spouse
    Barbara Faulkner (? - present)

Trivia
    Was a part of a group of actors that John Wayne regularly used in his movies.

Originally set out to become a civil engineer but in 1958 decided to try acting and moved to Los Angeles. Within a month he found a role on the TV western episode of "Have Gun Will Travel".

Earned a degree in business before entering the United States Air Force.

(February 1994) Retired from acting and manager of a large Time Share complex, and has many of his movies on video for hire in the foyer.

Mini- Biography
    Fielden Edward Faulkner II was born on Leap Year (February 29), 1932, in Lexington, Kentucky, where his father owned and operated a prominent building supply company. His mother was a retired piano and music teacher. He was the second of two children; his sister (now deceased) was nearly 19 years his senior when he was born.

As a youth he was very creative with woodworking as well as mechanical drawing and other artistic skills. His affinity for performing began to appear when he became fascinated with the art of magic at the age of eleven. He enjoyed showing his skills at this new hobby to friends and family and by the time he was nearly thirteen he was performing a full-fledged magic show for children's birthday parties, service clubs and other gatherings. He eventually used the services of a small local talent agent who immediately increased the fees for his act, which he continued to do through college.

He matriculated through the Lexington public school system and when he entered high school teamed up with a friend for a vaudeville-like comedy song-and-dance routine, billed as "Faulkner & Seeley -- The Sunshine Twins." They performed at numerous high school events and service organizations in Lexington for two years.

During his high school junior year, he became very aware of a tall, slender, extremely pretty brunette classmate named Barbara Baldwin who had transferred from her high school in western Kentucky. Fortunately for Ed, they were cast as Emily and George, the leads in their senior class play "Our Town." Ed and Barbara were married in real life after they graduated from the University of Kentucky in June 1954.

Prior to earning a B.S. degree in the Business College at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, he attended the University of Virginia for two years, majoring in Civil Engineering. While attending the University of Kentucky, his acting abilities were further stimulated by three leading roles in the University's outstanding Guignol Theater: "The Dover Road," "Born Yesterday" (as Harry Brock) and "Detective Story" (as the detective); in the latter, Barbara portrayed the detective's wife. No thoughts of becoming a professional actor occurred to him since service in the United States Air Force was required after being commissioned as a second lieutenant on completion of Reserve Officer Training Corp at U.K. and he was awarded his wings as a single engine jet fighter pilot.

After two years of service in the military Ed returned to civilian life to fulfill his family obligation of managing the building supply business (because of age and serious health problems, his father could no longer actively participate in the business). After his father's 1957 death, Ed discovered that two former employees had compromised the business into a financial situation that could not be remedied, and dissolution of the company was the best option of those available. It was at this juncture that the idea of becoming a professional actor became an option. After several discussions with the professor of the Drama Department at the University of Kentucky about the feasibility of going to Hollywood, he was encouraged to "give it a go." In the spring of 1958 and with the full support of his wife, Barbara, they and their daughter moved to Beverly Hills to test the unknown waters of Hollywood.

Through friends, Ed was fortunate to be introduced to Andrew V. McLaglen, son of the well-known character actor and Academy Award winner Victor McLaglen. At that time, Andrew was a CBS staff director, helming such notable western TV series such as "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957), "Gun Law" (1955) and "Rawhide." McLaglen was aware of "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957)" star Richard Boone's interest in cultivating young unknown actors, and introduced Ed to the star. Faulkner was 6'3", 185 pounds and had knowledge of horsemanship, all plusses in those days when Westerns dominated the TV landscape; Boone became a coach and mentor (along with McLaglen) and Ed was cast in an episode of "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957) within a month of arrival in California.

Over the next 18 plus years he became a journeyman actor appearing in over 250 television programs and some 30 theatrical motion pictures and telemovies. He is perhaps best remembered for his appearance in top featured roles in six films with John Wayne, two with Elvis Presley and for working with such prominent actors as James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Dean Martin, Maureen O'Hara, Doris Day, Jean Arthur, Brian Keith, Rock Hudson, Jim Hutton, Vera Miles and Katharine Ross.

In 1975, Ed took a sabbatical from the film industry and entered the business world by joining Sea Containers Inc., a publicly held company whose primary activity was the ownership and leasing out of marine cargo containers to the marine transportation industry worldwide. He became president of the subsidiary office in San Francisco for five years, then became Director of Sales (western U.S. and Canada) for the company's leisure division, world-renowned for the restoration and operation of the Orient Express, know today as The Venice Simplon-Orient Express and owners of over forty luxury hotels worldwide including the Hotel Cipriani in Venice. He retired from the Sea Containers Group in 1987.

Now retired, he occasionally does voiceovers and guest appearances on TV and in October 2008 did a two-hour interview for Turner Classic Movies Archive Files which will air at appropriate times on TCM and TNT. Since 2004 he has been a guest at numerous film festivals across the United States (primarily Western-themed) and was recently honored at the 2007 Western Legends Round-Up in Kanab, Utah, with a plaque on their Little Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Ed and Barbara Faulkner reside in Palm Desert, California. They have three daughters, a son and five grandchildren.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Anonymous

Filmography
    Actor
    1. Hard Ground (2003) (TV) .... Warden
    2. Johnnie Mae Gibson: FBI (1986) (TV) (as Ed Faulkner) .... Tom Higgins
    ... aka Johnnie Gibson F.B.I.
    3. "The Blue Knight"
    - The Candy Man (1976) TV Episode .... Reverend Bob
    4. "Disneyland"
    ... aka Disney's Wonderful World (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Disney Sunday Movie (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Magical World of Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Wonderful World of Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney Presents (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (USA: new title)
    - Now You See Him, Now You Don't (1975) TV Episode (uncredited) .... Mike the Bank Guard
    - The Barefoot Executive: Part 2 (1973) TV Episode .... Reporter
    - The Barefoot Executive: Part 1 (1973) TV Episode .... Reporter
    - Hang Your Hat on the Wind (1970) TV Episode .... Pilot
    5. "Marcus Welby, M.D."
    ... aka Robert Young, Family Doctor
    - The Covenant (1975) TV Episode
    6. Stowaway to the Moon (1975) (TV) .... Eli Mackernutt Sr.
    7. The Log of the Black Pearl (1975) (TV) .... Fenner
    8. "Movin' On"
    - Cowhands (1974) TV Episode .... Elton Edwards
    9. Ride in a Pink Car (1974) (as Ed Faulkner) .... Frank Barber
    10. "Toma"
    - Indictment (1974) TV Episode
    11. "The Odd Couple"
    - Felix Directs (1973) TV Episode .... Harry
    12. "Gunsmoke"
    ... aka Gun Law (UK)
    ... aka Marshal Dillon (USA: rerun title)
    - The Brothers (1972) TV Episode .... Drummer
    - Drago (1971) TV Episode .... Trask
    - The Quest for Asa Janin (1963) TV Episode .... Deputy Sheriff from Hays City
    - The Renegades (1963) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Sergeant
    - Unwanted Deputy (1960) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Harry
    (1 more)
    13. The Man (1972) .... Secret Service Man
    14. Now You See Him, Now You Don't (1972) (uncredited) .... Mike Bank Guard
    15. "Adam-12"
    - Backup 1-L20 (1972) TV Episode .... Sgt Ed Powers
    - Mary Hong Loves Tommy Chen (1972) TV Episode .... Sgt Powers
    16. "Cannon"
    - The Island Caper (1972) TV Episode .... Ferris
    17. "Nichols"
    ... aka James Garner (Canada: English title)
    ... aka James Garner as Nichols
    - Zachariah (1972) TV Episode
    18. The Night Stalker (1972) (TV) (uncredited) .... Las Vegas Policeman
    19. "O'Hara, U.S. Treasury"
    - Operation: Hijack (1971) TV Episode .... Sgt. Wall
    - Operation: Big Store (1971) TV Episode .... Ike Carter
    20. "Bearcats!"
    - Assault on San Saba (1971) TV Episode .... Mills
    21. Scandalous John (1971) .... Hillary
    22. The Barefoot Executive (1971) .... Reporter
    23. Something Big (1971) (as Ed Faulkner) .... Capt. Tyler
    24. Rio Lobo (1970) .... Lt. Harris
    ... aka San Timoteo
    25. Night Chase (1970) (TV) .... Patrolman
    ... aka L.A. Cab (USA: video title)
    ... aka The Man in the Back Seat
    26. The Intruders (1970) (TV) .... Bill Riley
    27. "San Francisco International Airport"
    ... aka SFX (USA)
    - We Once Came Home to Parades (1970) TV Episode
    28. "The Virginian"
    ... aka The Men from Shiloh (new title)
    - With Love, Bullets and Valentines (1970) TV Episode .... Leroy Plimpton
    - Death Wait (1969) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Matt Clayton
    - Jacob Was a Plain Man (1966) TV Episode .... Packer
    - Morgan Starr (1966) TV Episode .... Proctor
    - Nobility of Kings (1965) TV Episode .... Andy Proctor
    (6 more)
    29. Chisum (1970) .... James J. Dolan
    30. Triangle (1970)
    31. "Then Came Bronson"
    - A Long Trip to Yesterday (1969) TV Episode .... Patrolman
    32. The Undefeated (1969) .... Capt. Anderson, CSA (Col. Langdon's aide)
    33. "It Takes a Thief"
    - The Blue, Blue Danube (1969) TV Episode
    34. "The Bold Ones: The New Doctors"
    ... aka The New Doctors
    - Rebellion of the Body (1969) TV Episode .... Dr. Brandon
    35. Daddy's Gone A-Hunting (1969) (uncredited) .... Cop at Dixon's Party
    36. Hang Your Hat On the Wind (1969) .... Pilot
    37. "Dragnet 1967"
    ... aka Dragnet (USA: syndication title)
    ... aka Dragnet 1968 (USA: second season title)
    ... aka Dragnet 1969 (USA: third season title)
    ... aka Dragnet 1970 (USA: fourth season title)
    - Juvenile Division - DR-19 (1969) TV Episode .... Lawrence Devon
    - Public Affairs - DR-12 (1968) TV Episode .... Agent Jim Shepheard
    38. "The Outcasts"
    - The Candidates (1969) TV Episode .... Willis
    39. Lost Flight (1969) (TV)
    40. Hellfighters (1968) .... George Harris
    41. "The Mod Squad"
    - When Smitty Comes Marching Home (1968) TV Episode .... Griff
    42. The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968) (as Ed Faulkner) .... Sam Huggins
    43. The Green Berets (1968) .... Capt. MacDaniel
    44. Nobody's Perfect (1968) .... John Abelard
    45. "Cimarron Strip"
    - Fool's Gold (1968) TV Episode .... Captain
    46. "The Invaders"
    - Storm (1967) TV Episode .... Invader #1
    47. "Gilligan's Island"
    - It's a Bird, It's a Plane (1967) TV Episode .... Colonel
    48. "Laredo"
    - The Other Cheek (1967) TV Episode .... Ed Garmes
    49. The Ballad of Josie (1967) (uncredited) .... Juror-Livery Man
    50. The Doomsday Flight (1966) (TV) .... Reilly (co-pilot)
    51. The Navy vs. the Night Monsters (1966)
    ... aka Monsters of the Night
    ... aka The Night Crawlers
    52. "The F.B.I."
    - Anatomy of a Prison Break (1966) TV Episode .... Allen Wilson
    53. "Bonanza"
    ... aka Ponderosa (USA: rerun title)
    - Credit for a Kill (1966) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Casey
    - No Less a Man (1964) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Bank Robber in Green Shirt
    - The Friendship (1961) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Bob Stevens
    54. "The Monroes"
    - Ordeal by Hope (1966) TV Episode .... Ferris
    55. "Run for Your Life"
    - The Committee for the 25th (1966) TV Episode .... Assistant District Attorney
    56. "The Fugitive"
    - All the Scared Rabbits (1965) TV Episode .... Sheriff
    - Corner of Hell (1965) TV Episode .... Roy
    57. "The Loner"
    - The Lonely Calico Queen (1965) TV Episode .... Bounty Hunter
    58. Sergeant Dead Head (1965) (as Ed Faulkner) .... Lt. Dixon
    ... aka Sergeant Deadhead, the Astronut
    59. Tickle Me (1965) .... Brad Bentley
    60. Shenandoah (1965) (uncredited) .... Union sergeant
    61. How to Murder Your Wife (1965) .... Club Member in Steam Room/Party Guest
    62. "The Lieutenant"
    - Tour of Duty (1964) TV Episode .... Lt. Shelby Logan
    63. "Destry"
    - Destry Had a Little Lamb (1964) TV Episode .... Foggy
    64. "Rawhide"
    - Incident at Gila Flats (1964) TV Episode
    - Incident of the Gallows Tree (1963) TV Episode .... Cryder
    - Incident of the Four Horsemen (1962) TV Episode .... Carl Gault
    - Deserter's Patrol (1962) TV Episode .... Rutledge
    - The Long Shakedown (1961) TV Episode .... Lobey
    (2 more)
    65. McLintock! (1963) .... Young Ben Sage
    66. "Have Gun - Will Travel"
    - Be Not Forgetful to Strangers (1962) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Ben
    - The Hunt (1962) TV Episode .... Lieutenant Brager
    - The Brothers (1961) TV Episode
    - The Hanging of Aaron Gibbs (1961) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Harden
    - Soledad Crossing (1961) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Bud McPhatter
    (6 more)
    67. The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962) (uncredited) .... Officer at welcme party
    68. The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come (1961) (uncredited)
    69. "Ripcord"
    - Chuting Stars (1961) TV Episode
    70. G.I. Blues (1960) (uncredited) .... Red
    71. "Hotel de Paree"
    - Vengeance for Sundance (1960) TV Episode .... Deputy Sheriff
    72. "Playhouse 90"
    - The Tunnel (1959) TV Episode (as Ed Faulkner) .... Soldier
    73. "Flight"
    - Chopper Four (????) TV Episode

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Edward Faulker, was less famous than many of Duke's co-stars,
    but nevertheless, was in 6 films:-

Rio Lobo(1970) .... Lt. Harris
    Chisum (1970) .... James J. Dolan
    The Undefeated (1969) .... Capt. Anderson, CSA (Col. Langdon's aide)
    Hellfighters(1968) .... George Harris
    The Green Berets (1968) .... Capt. MacDaniel
    McLintock!(1963) .... Young Ben Sage

edwithjohnwayne.jpg

As part of the John Wayne Stock Company,
    he is in more movies,then many of us realize!
    acquits himself, very well, in every one,
    better, in fact, than he is often given credit for.

EdFaulkner3640.jpg

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Keith,

I know him well by face, but not by name. Thanks for information. It is so pleasant to meet the same faces as supporting actors in the number of movies. Now that completly go away. No stock companies at all. :unsure:

Regards,
    Vera

• Ed Faulkner was one I knew by face for many years, but never knew his name. I thought he was very good as a supporting actor but felt he never was really given much chance to do more. I remember him as the Yankee Sergeant in Shenandoah - who captured a Confederate "soldier" who happened to be one of James Stewarts Sons: "the Boy." It's nice to see he was in a good number of things after his "John Wayne Years."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• It was fun to see and hear his stories at the Winterset celebration last year when they had the round table. Truly unforgettable experience and lots of fun too.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Check out A.C. Lyles as well on that video page. My wife disappeared during the symposium while we were getting our seats and she came back about 10 minutes later and she ended up talking to him. He is a very nice, down to earth man and fun to listen too. I thought he was trying to steal her away!!!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• While I enjoyed the Hondo trailer, I really enjoyed reading the article about John Wayne (six parts in all). Interesting that there was more mention of his second marriage, and passing mention of his third, but no mention whatsoever of his first marriage.

More importantly, however, it is an excellent listing of the many times Duke appeared on television throughout his career. It would be interesting to check the article against some of the lists of TV appearances our members have posted (Elly and Colorado Bob come to mind). If I'd have been as big a JW fan in the sixties and seventies as I am now, I would have been a happy camper, as many times as he was on the small screen.

Chester :newyear:

• I want to thank Andy (stagecoach50) for sharing the link to Ed Faulkner's web site! I hope Andy will jump in and share a little about his recent face-to-face visit with Mr. Faulkner.

I also see that Kevin added a YouTube interview with Ed Faulkner in the introductory post to this thread, which some of you may or may not have seen (he added it in 2008, well after the most recent post before mine), so I'd like to draw your attention to it.

Finally, I want to thank Keith for the countless hours he's put into compiling the Pals of the Saddle entries. The more I refer to them, the more I appreciate them!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• The meeting with Ed Faulkner was delightful. He lives only a few miles from my parents home in California. We had a great two hours together, he does a great JW impersonation, and his stories were wonderful about the Duke. It is a time I will never forget.
    Andy:teeth_smile:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• Ed Faulkner in my opinion is a great character actor, and he was in 6 Wayne films, and 2 Elvis Presley films, plus a whole bunch of other stuff. He has worked with some great actors. He is also very friendly, knows many people in show business, and is also a very successful business man. Contact him via his web site, he will respond, and tell him you are from the JW message board, it will give him a thrill, he has many stories about Duke working with him.

http://www.edwardfaulkneractor.com
    Take Care
    Andy:wink_smile:

• http://www.edwardfaulkneractor.com/

Ed Faulkner does a great John Wayne impersonation. If you look at his web site he tells how his son was born while filming THE GREEN BERETS. Ed has a great story to tell of Duke while filming and Ed had to make a critical phone call, ask Ed to tell you the story.
    Andy:teeth_smile: