Do you like Country music?

There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,065 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I like some of it but not as a steady diet. I like almost all kinds of music except for opera, hip-hop (or whatever they call it) and heavy-metal rock. My favorite music, in order, is the Big Band music from the thirties and forties; old-time rock and roll from the fifties, sixties and seventies; jazz; rhythm & blues from the fifties and sixties; and C&W from the fifties, sixties and seventies.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• One of the funniest things I ever saw was during my visits to Japan and China while in the Navy during the Fifties. Practically every port we visited had a nightclub with Japanese or Chinese guys dressed up in Western garb and playing country and western music. I must admit though that many of them were pretty talented.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I am a fan of C&W. But only the more traditional sounds. I cannot stand this new type of pop country where half the time you cannot tell if you are listening to top 40 pop rock or country western music. Guys like Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, George Strait, and that type are who I like. I also like the 80's hair bands and some newer heavy rock. Cannot stand rap or hip hop, that is just plain pathetic music if you ask me.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• One of the funniest things I ever saw was during my visits to Japan and China while in the Navy during the Fifties. Practically every port we visited had a nightclub with Japanese or Chinese guys dressed up in Western garb and playing country and western music. I must admit though that many of them were pretty talented.

When I was in the Navy, I saw Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys at the EM (Enlisted Men's) Club in Okinawa while our ship was visiting there. Then we steamed up to Yokuska just in time to catch him at the EM Club there. Then we went back down to Sasebo, our home port, and who should we see at the EM Club but Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys. How's that for Country & Western in the Orient?! We just about had all his songs memorized by the third concert! :biggrin: Several of his ditties included The Squaws Along the Yukon are Good Enough for Me; Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette; The Footprints of a Fool; and Humpty Dumpty Heart, just to name a few.

So, to answer the question, yes, I do like country and western, the older style like Todd mentioned.

Chester :newyear:

• I am a fan of C&W. But only the more traditional sounds. I cannot stand this new type of pop country where half the time you cannot tell if you are listening to top 40 pop rock or country western music. Guys like Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, George Strait, and that type are who I like. I also like the 80's hair bands and some newer heavy rock. Cannot stand rap or hip hop, that is just plain pathetic music if you ask me.

Like Todd, I like these singers as well.

Also like Todd, I cannot stand hip-hop & cRAP either. I absolutely like some big band stuff, some ragtime, traditional German music and lots of Jazz especially that 1950's Russian underground Jazz, rock and roll from the 50-mid 80s and few later exceptions, country & western from the 30's to the mid 80's with some exceptions. I like music played on Xylophones (SP?) as well as guitar music, piano music, and Jazz with lots of bass drum in it.

I can add that I do not like the garbage that seems to have made brittany spears a rich girl, and all the ones like her.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Just imagine us souls who are lucky enough to have
    young kids, heaven above!! and I thought my Mom and Dad
    were square, in those days!!.
    Now I know what they went through!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I know this going to Date me, But I am back in the 30s and 40s when it comes to Real Country and Western Music.
    People like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Marty Robbins and any of the Newer People that do what is known here in the West as Real Country and Western Music !
    I even liked "Duke The Singing Cowboy."
    :hyper:
    And of course any thing with a Good Classical Guitar Playing Good Mexican and Good Flamenco Spanish Guitar Music !!!
    :violinist:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• People like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers . . .

I'd give a thousand dollars or more if I could play the guitar and had all the songs memorized that these gentlemen knew how to sing. Two of our children have learned to play the guitar, but they are into other styles of music besides C&W. I would love to see my 10 year old son learn the guitar also, and sing some of those old Roy Rogers songs . . . . Hey, I can dream, can't I??

• Best music in the world Country is :)

I'm more into the old stuff. Like Johnny Cash(greatest Musician ever), Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings.
    The newer stuff's also good though, eg Garth Brooks, Trace Adkins & Lee Kernaghan(Aussie Country singer)

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I'd give a thousand dollars or more if I could play the guitar and had all the songs memorized that these gentlemen knew how to sing. Two of our children have learned to play the guitar, but they are into other styles of music besides C&W. I would love to see my 10 year old son learn the guitar also, and sing some of those old Roy Rogers songs . . . . Hey, I can dream, can't I??

The guitar has been kind good to me too,
    It's made me a living for nearly 46 years!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jim,

I hope Chistopher continues with his guitar,
    he'll find it all so very fulfilling when he's older,
    and will gain great satisfaction from it all!!
    I'm glad I continued,as it's given me a fantastic life!

I love the Roy Rogers, Sons of The Pioneers,
    Gene Autry songs, many of which I still incude, as repertoire!

One day Jim, he'll suprise you, and start singing them!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks, Keith, for those encouraging words!

• Traditional C&W tells a story that relates to the heritage of the people.

Like other great music traditions, it will last. I predict you'll hear Tumbling Tumbleweeds long after the last bit of rap crap has been forgotten.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."