Errol Flynn movie Reviews for Vera-or anyone interested.

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,048 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• First movie is:

The Seahawk. Stars: Errol Flynn, Alan Hale Sr. Olivia de Havilland, Claude Raines, Gilbert Roland & Montague Love.

Errol Flynn is an English "Pirate Ships Captain" who is totally devoted to the Queen and England. The classic movie which is set during the troubled times with the French and the Spanish nations. England needs money to build ships and Flynn is the perfect person to help get that money. As he is associated with a group know as The Seahawks, who are unofficially, "part of the Royal Navy" and whose services are "unofficially" welcomed by the Queen of England.

This movie is one of two of THE best of these types I have ever seen. The interaction between all the characters really makes this a great movie. Also to see both Claude Raines and Montague Love, both as nemises to Captain Geoffrey Thorpe (Flynn) really makes for an excellent film. Gilbert Roland really outdoes himself as Spanish Captain Lopez.

Anyway, if your looking for a great Swashbuckler kind of movie, this is one of a few perfect examples (of those I have seen) of such a movie. Other perfect examples include: Captain Blood and Captain Horatio Hownblower.

On a ratings system for movies from 1-10-10 being the highest, I easily give this one a 10.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Great movie Ringo. I often wonder why they never went to the extra cost and made it in colour as they planned. When you consider how gret Robin Hood looks.

Did you notice the scenes were Thorpe tries to steal the Spanish gold are in sepia before returning to normal black & white.

Apparently that was in the cinema release but TV companies when transmitting graded the film all the same way.

Mike

• hI

I must admit that Errol Flynn's The Sea Hawks is one of my favourite movies. the acting is good from all members of the cast,but for me its the soundtrack. Korngolds music is in turn stirring romantic and majestic.

I watched Captain Blood on television some years ago perhaps it was the small screen but it didn't do too much for me. Perhaps it was with Flynn minus his moustache.

Another related film although not with Flynn is Fire Over England starring Lawrence Olivier Vivien Leigh and Flora Robson as Queen Elizabeth I.

And of course there is alway Elizabeth and Essex starring Flynn and Bette Davis which is in colour.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• hI

I must admit that Errol Flynn's The Sea Hawks is one of my favourite movies.

Mine too, Arthur. When Errol was in his prime, he made some great movies. He always projected an image in his more swashbuckling films that I'm sure came close to his true persona, at least according to what I've read about him. Devil-may-care.............

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim

It's not only the great ones that you think of, its also the ones like They Died With Their Boots On and The Charge of the Light Brigade that are also classics in the true sense of the word.

I wonder what sort of film what have emerged if Duke and Flynn had ever appeared together.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur, Mike and all, many thanks. I think that this was the first Flynn movie I ever saw. I remember that it was long ago and I was probably about 25 or so year younger, that it was played on a Saturday, and that I really got into that movie--not knowing who Errol Flynn was nor what he looked like.

Arthur, Mike, thanks for the photos. Also, I thought that the one with him holding Gilbert Roland at swords point is a classic shot. I also agree, that I wish they had spent the money to have made it in color. I have seen a colorized version of it though--done by ted turner and his company. It was not too bad but--was not that great either.

Vera, glad you liked it. I was in a rush to get this write-up done before the library closed yesterday. Ill try to get another one done today or by sometime tomorrow. Tell you one thing, I sure am are looking forward to the release of the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Nr. 2. And off-hand, the only other Flynn Films (that I have seen that I waish were going to be released on dvd are: Edge of Darkness and Desperate Journey. There are many others I want to see of course--especially (I forget is name again (:rolleyes: ) but the one with him playing with toy trains.

• Hi Arthur, I kinda like Objective Burma as well--even if it is a period propaganda film. Flynn and company really did a good job in this movie as well.