For Vera: They Died with their boots on.

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,539 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• They Died with their boots on: w/ Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Sidney Greenstreet, Arthur Kennedy and Anthony Quinn.

Though not historically accurate in many ways, this is still a great film. Flynn and Gen George Armstong Custer and Olivia de Havilland as Libby Custer, could not have been a better couple paired together to play these people.

I like how it starts off with Custer at West Point Academy before the Civil War. Custer, was portrayed as not being a very good Cadet--which was wrong but, still made a great story,

As for Custer just barely getting a posting with the Cavalry is really nonsense. Anyway, he get's his posting with the 7th U.S. Cavalry - which was a prestigous unit by that time. Showing a bit on Custer during the U.S. Civil War was nice--as most movies about him do not go that far back (aka) Custer of the West etc.

After hostilities cease, Custer gets his demotion from Brevet Brigadier General (to Lt. Colonel) and then transfer to a post way out in the wild west. We get to see some 7th Cav herorics as he arrives with a wagon train - even capturing Cochise as well.

Anthony Quinn is also one of my all-time most favorite actors. He was born in Chihuaua, Mexico (Mexican Father, Irish Mother) Quinn plays Cochise, Custer's nemisis. These two have a few clashes before Custer's final fight at The Little Big Horn.

A great misconception of Custer's final fight was that he was the last to die--which is false and has since been proven different. It sure looked great on the big screen when Custer and the 7th Cav, made that charge into the masses of Indians - which did not happen.

Custer's men were also in groups of Companies and were stationed in a hilly area--not flat land.

All that aside, this was a great film and I enjoy it every time I get a chance to watch it.

By the way, some accuracies in this film are: That he did love eating, Creamed Bermuda Onions, and that "Garry Owen" was the song of the 7th Cavalry.

The only thing missing from this movie that I wished could have been in it was, when Custer sent Major Reno and Captain Benteen on their seperate and almost disasterous missions.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• According to everything I've read, the real Custer was an arrogant megalomaniacal SOB. While some of the ego comes through in Errol's portrayal, I think he tones down the arrogance and even some of the ego. All in all, an enjoyable Flynn film. No "Robin" or "Sea Hawk" for sure but I've seen hundreds of worse movies.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Have to admit that I always enjoyed They Died with Their Boots on despite historical inaccuracies. Wasnt this the last time Olivia De Havilland starred with Flynn?

I remember seeing Custer of The West with Robert Shaw once but to be honest I cant remember much about it.

Custer's other appearance was in Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman were I think they slightly over did the arrogance?

Mike

• Ugh, I can't stand Custer of the West-though I am a fan of many of the actors in it. Also had to have it on DvD as it did have some great scenes. Do you remember the scene where a group of Cavalry were out on wood detail and were all attacked and killed by the Indians--cept for the sergeant (at that time) I love his escape scenes especially when he takes a long ride down that logging chute. I hated seeing him get killed off trying to reach that passing train.

I absolutely disliked: Little Big man. I like Dustin Hoffman but not in that film.

• Must admit I passed on buying Custer of The West and I see it around the £5.00 mark. To be honest I couldnt reemember much about it accept I was disappointed.

Little Big man was also a film I have seen once and didnt particularly like.

Mike

• Must admit I passed on buying Custer of The West and I see it around the £5.00 mark. To be honest I couldnt reemember much about it accept I was disappointed.

Little Big man was also a film I have seen once and didnt particularly like.

Mike

HI GT, Mike.

GT, that is interesting? TCM seems to have had a "Cavalry" thing going on all day today. This morning I watched one that had the Cav dealing with the Kiowa and Cheyenne? Indians. Did not catch the name of it though. I did recognize one actor in it who was a Captain or Major, and who had acted in a few of Dukes movies like: In Harms Way and The Longest Day.

Mike, I did not care much for Custer of the West either--as well, I never did like Little Big Man either. Dustin Hoffman just does not fit in anykind of Western IMO.