User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which are the best, most complete DVD collections of John Wayne movies out there now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which are the best, most complete DVD collections of John Wayne movies out there now?

Hey, Everyone,

Which DVD collections are the best and most complete of Duke's movies currently? Like all of us, I have several favorites, such as Stagecoach, The Searchers, McLintock!, The Quiet Man, Hondo, the Ford Horse Soldier trilogy... (sorry if that isn't exactly what it's called!)

I have yet to invest in any sets of his movies, as I feel overwhelmed by the scads of them out there, and I need to know the best buys. If any people would know, it'd be you guys!

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Kcat

Sheriff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which are the best, most complete DVD collections of John Wayne movies out there

You just kinda have to weed through them... I will give you some advice. Onyl get the ones that come from Warner, Paramount or Republic. These 3rd rate groups like GoodTimes or Passport and some others do a lousy job of transferring movies to DVD. Use IMDB to see whether or not a movie has been released to DVD then check out Amazon which will tell you who actually released the movie to DVD. The new ones are mostly all safe. The ones I got this week are all Warner releases. And check sets for duplicates. I would say make a list of sets, the movies in that set, then compare the groups to make sure your not duplicating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which are the best, most complete DVD collections of John Wayne movies out there

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaSurfer View Post
    You just kinda have to weed through them... I will give you some advice. Onyl get the ones that come from Warner, Paramount or Republic. These 3rd rate groups like GoodTimes or Passport and some others do a lousy job of transferring movies to DVD. Use IMDB to see whether or not a movie has been released to DVD then check out Amazon which will tell you who actually released the movie to DVD. The new ones are mostly all safe. The ones I got this week are all Warner releases. And check sets for duplicates. I would say make a list of sets, the movies in that set, then compare the groups to make sure your not duplicating.
    Thank you kindly!

Kcat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if Kcat has purchased any of the available boxed sets since first asking her question, but I know there are several sets available now.

Have any of you purchased any of the boxed sets? Which ones? Do you feel like you got a good deal? The answers may prove valuable for newer members, and especially 'new' fans of Duke, who are just starting a collection.

We have -

John Wayne - Legendary Heroes Collection - this collection contains Tall in the Saddle, The Train Robbers, The Sea Chase, McQ, and Blood Alley.

The John Wayne Film Collection - contains Allegheny Uprising, Big Jim McLain, Trouble Along the Way, Tycoon, Without Reservations, and Reunion in France.

John Wayne/John Ford Film Collection
    - contains The Searchers, Stagecoach, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, They Were Expendable, 3 Godfathers, The Wings of Eagles, and The Long Voyage Home.

We paid close to $80 for the last collection, back in 2007, I think. I see it is now only $31.99 on Amazon right now!

There are at least two collections, which I don't own, but I own so many of the films in them that I probably won't buy them. But for somebody who's just starting out, they seem like a pretty good deal, to get so many movies (they average around $6 per title!).

Chester

Deputy US Marshal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We paid close to $80 for the last collection, back in 2007, I think. I see it is now only $31.99 on Amazon right now!
    The reason for that, is that it's the new version that has almost the exact same contents as the last, but is missing the Ultimate Collectors Edition of The Searchers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, that makes sense - we DO have the Ultimate Collector's Edition of The Searchers.

Thanks for pointing out that important difference!

Chester

Deputy US Marshal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to confess.. I erred in my statement about the John Wayne/John Ford set. The 31 dollar set is indeed the originally issued version.
    The one that doesn't have the The Searchers: UCE has yet to be released. I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused. Here's the links to the two sets.

The original set which is now 31.99
    http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-John-Col...6424525&sr=1-1

The yet to be released edition
    http://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Joh...6424525&sr=1-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post

According to someone who commented on Amazon, it seems the 'yet-to-be-released' set will NOT include Stagecoach and The Long Voyage Home, but WILL include the documentary Directed by John Ford. If that's the case, it would obviously be more cost-effective to buy the original collection for $31.99 and the documentary (to be released in September) for $17.99.

Move movies for less money!
    Last edited by chester7777; July 18th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the deagostini collection is doing a fine job. published every 2 weeks as of july 13th 09 weve had 76 dvds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the de Agostini collection as well, up to 88 DVD's so far. I don't know how many they are going to issue, but you get a nice magazine with each DVD that has info about that film and some other general stuff.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information