Robert Mitchum

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,276 times. The latest Post () was by CHANCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello :rolleyes:

Robert Mitchum and James Stewart are two of my other top favorite actors either in westerns or not :rolleyes:

Who are your's :unsure:

Monique ;)

• I also like Jimmy and Mitchum especially Jimmy. Clints good as well but thinking about it its just his image as he has made an awful lot of lousy movies. I like watching Alfred Hitchcock moives (I know he isnt an actor although he does make a cameo role in his movies). McQueen and Lancaster are pretty good and Glenn Ford is decent.

B)

Regards
    Robbie

I think Robert Mitchum's best movie would be "Heavan Knows Mr. Allison" I know it's not a western but it sure is good :D

Monique ;)

• As far as westerns the list is good

Robert Mitchum
    Burt Lancaster
    Kirk Douglas
    Ward Bond
    Ben Johnson

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

Other classics on DVD :rolleyes:

Bend of the River.....................Stewart
    Shenandoah............................Stewart
    Winchester73...........................Stewart
    The Far Country.......................Stewart
    Night Passage..........................Stewart
    Desrty Rides Again...................Stewart
    The Red Head from Wyoming...Maureen Ohara

Monique ;)

Just read this months entertainment magazine :huh:

Dennis Quaid has just signed to play James Stewarts role in the remake of "Flight of the Phinoix"

Monique ;)

• You gotta like Gary Cooper. He's done so many good westerns, and my favorite non-Duke western actor would be Henry Fonda. I like James Stewart, but not as much in westerns. He's good in many things, which makes him my favorite non-Duke all around actor.

Glenn Ford was good in some of the westerns, like The Left handed Gun. And I like Brian Keith in many supporting parts.

Paul Newman was good in Butch and Sundance. Steve McQueen in Magnificant 7. James Garner in Support your local Sheriff.

Just thought you wanted to know others.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Glenn Ford westerns :huh:

Border Shootout
    Sam Cade
    Texas
    Desperadoes
    Man from Colorado
    Man from the Alamo
    Americano
    Violent Men
    Fastest Gun Alive
    Jubal
    3:10 to Yuma
    Cowboy
    Cimarron
    Rounders
    Santee
    Sacketts

A few good ones here :huh:

Monique ;)

• Don't leave out some of the "newer" stars whose Westerns have been made-for-TV for the most part:
    Sam Elliott "The Sacketts"
    Robert Duvall "Lonesome Dove"
    Tom Selleck "Quigley Down Under"

David

• More on Mitchum :rolleyes:

GIRL RUSH

erry and Mike (the comedy team of Wally Brown and Alan Carney), two vaudevillians stranded in San Francisco during the 1849 Sutter's Mill gold rush, strike it rich in a completely unexpected way. They decide to bring a musical revue top-lined by female entertainers to the womanless frontier town of Red Creek, an idea which is quickly endorsed by the local miners who view these shapely recruits as potential mail order brides. Success brings complications, of course, and Jerry and Mike's plans to buy a wagon train and return east to New York are constantly frustrated at every turn by crooked gamblers and assorted varmints though a friendly cowpoke (Robert Mitchum) often bails them out of trouble. In the end, it takes a huge street brawl to set everything right and bring the townspeople together in a united front.

Girl Rush (1944) is not a standard Western by any means - it's a musical comedy - and it's certainly atypical of Robert Mitchum's later work in the genre. Here, he is a mere supporting character, playing second fiddle to Brown and Carney's comedy routines and in one of the plot's more outrageous contrivances, Mitchum even appears in drag, somehow managing to look nonchalant while dressed in a bonnet and gingham dress. Yet, despite his secondary role, Mitchum's relaxed, self-assured screen presence was noted favorably by critics in all the reviews and led to the role that launched his career the following year - The Story of G.I. Joe (1945); he received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his performance as Lt. Walker.

Prior to Girl Rush, Mitchum was being championed by producer/director Mervyn LeRoy as a lead in the biblical epic, The Robe. When MGM passed on the option, LeRoy persuaded Mitchum's agent to introduce the actor to Ben Piazza, head of talent at RKO. That meeting resulted in Mitchum being offered a seven-year contract with the studio but he almost turned it down. RKO management wanted to change his name to John Mitchell but Mitchum's agent effectively convinced them otherwise and the actor went on to enjoy fifth billing under his own name in Girl Rush. Approximately twenty-two minutes into the film, he makes his first appearance, rising up from a crowded dinner table. Dressed in buckskin with his hands poised on his gun belt, he strikes an iconic pose that made him a natural for Westerns and he went on to make several for the studio - in the starring role; Pursued (1947), Blood on the Moon (1948) and The Lusty Men (1952) are among his more memorable efforts in this genre.

Producer: John H. Auer
    Director: Gordon Douglas
    Screenplay: Robert E. Kent
    Art Direction: Albert S. D'Agostino, Walter E. Keller
    Cinematography: Nicholas Musuraca
    Editing: W. Duncan Mansfield
    Music: Gene Rose
    Cast: Wally Brown (Jerry Miles), Alan Carney (Mike Strager), Frances Langford (Flo Daniels), Barbara Jo Allen (Suzie Banks), Robert Mitchum (Jimmy Smith), Paul Hurst (Muley).
    BW-65m. Closed captioning.

By Jeff Stafford

Monique ;)

• We read this interesting article about Robert Mitchum over on the McCandles Texas forum at Yahoo. We thought you might enjoy it here:

Happy Birthday to Robert Mitchum

The Morrison and Mitchum families had a very close relationship even though the Duke and Mitch only made one film together. Mitch's son
    Christopher made three films with the Duke. His brother John Mitchum wrote the poetry for John Wayne's album "AMERICA - WHY I LOVE HER" and also appeared in three films with the Duke. The dream of every Hollywood producer in the middle 60's was to cast Mitchum and Wayne in film. It was Howard Hawks that finally bought the two giants together in his 1967 film "El Dorado". The tag line used in commercials to promote the film pointed out that the two greats were together: "It's The Big One With The Big Two!" The two actors enjoyed working together but the cost of having them in a film silenced any ideas of them working in any other projects.

SOME OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES FROM ROBERT MITCHUM:

"The only difference between me and my fellow actors is that I've spent more time in jail."

"I gave up being serious about making pictures around the time I made a film with Greer Garson and she took 125 takes to say no."

August 6, 1917 Robert Mitchum is born

Underrated American leading man of enormous ability who sublimates his talents beneath an air of disinterest. Born to a railroad worker who died in a train accident when Robert was two, Mitchum and his siblings (including brother John Mitchum, later also an actor) were raised by his mother and step-father (a British army major) in Connecticut, New York, and Delaware. An early contempt for authority led to discipline problems, and Mitchum spent good portions of his teen years adventuring on the open road. On one of these trips, at the age of 14, he was charged with vagrancy and sentenced to a Georgia chain gang, from which he escaped. Working a wide variety of jobs (including ghostwriter for astrologist Carroll Righter), Mitchum discovered acting in a Long Beach, California amateur theatre company. He worked at Lockheed Aircraft, where job stress caused him to suffer temporary blindness. About this time, he began to obtain small roles in films, appearing in dozens within a very brief time. In 1945, he was cast as Lt. Walker in "The Story of G.I. Joe", and received an Oscar nomination as Best Supporting Actor. His star ascended rapidly, and he became an icon of Forties film noir, though equally adept at Westerns and romantic dramas. His apparently lazy style and seen-it-all demeanor proved highly attractive to men and women, and by the 1950s he was a true superstar. This despite a brief prison term for marijuana usage in 1949, which seemed to enhance rather than diminish his "bad boy" appeal. Though seemingly dismissive of "art", he worked in tremendously artistically thoughtful projects such as Charles Laughton's Night of the Hunter, and even co wrote and composed an oratorio produced at the Hollywood Bowl by Orson Welles. A master of accents and seemingly unconcerned about his star image, he played in both forgettable and unforgettable films with unswerving nonchalance, leading many to overlook the prodigious talent he can bring to a project which he finds compelling. He moved into television in the Eighties as his film opportunities diminished, winning new fans with
    "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance". His sons James Mitchum
    and Christopher Mitchum are actors, as is his grandson Bentley Mitchum and granddaughter Carrie Mitchum.

Mitchum died of Lung Cancer on 1 July 1997 in Santa Barbara, California.

SOME TRIVIA ON ROBERT MITCHUM:

Treated at the Betty Ford Center in the early 1990s for alcoholism

Sidelines: Played the saxophone and wrote poetry.

In 1947, Robert Mitchum and Gary Gray recorded the songs from "Rachel and the Stranger" for Delta records' soundtrack album. In 1998, these and other songs, were released on a CD as "Robert Mitchum Sings."

Served in the Army of the United States, under service number 39 744 068, from April 12, 1945 to October 11, 1945. Was discharged as a Private First Class and received the World War II Victory Medal.

INFORMATION ON "EL DORADO"

Hired gunman Cole Thornton (The Duke) turns down a job with Bart Jason (Edward Asner) as it would mean having to fight an old sheriff friend (Robert Mitchum). Some months later he finds out the lawman is on the bottle and a top gunfighter (Christopher George) is heading his way to help Jason. Along with young Mississippi (James Caan), handy with a knife and now armed with a diabolical shotgun, Cole returns to help.

CAST:
    John Wayne -Cole Thornton
    Robert Mitchum - El Dorado Sheriff J.P. Harrah
    James Caan - Alan Bourdillion Traherne ('Mississippi')
    Charlene Holt - Maudie
    Paul Fix - Dr. Miller
    Arthur Hunnicutt - Bull Harris
    Michele Carey - Josephine (Joey) MacDonald
    R.G. Armstrong - Kevin MacDonald
    Edward Asner - Bart Jason
    Christopher George - Nelse McLeod

TRIVIA ON "EL DORADO"

John Wayne starred in Rio Bravo (1959) (of which this film is a remake), and after reading the script for "El Dorado" he asked to play J.P. Hara, but the part went to Robert Mitchum.

The opening credits feature a montage of original paintings that depict various scenes of cowboy life in the Old West. The artist was Olaf Wieghorst, who appears in the film as the Gunsmith, Swede Larsen.

The poem recited by Mississippi is an actual poem called "El Dorado" by Edgar Allan Poe.

Robert Mitchum revealed in an interview that when Howard Hawks asked him to be in the film, Mitchum asked what was the story of the film. Hawks reportedly replied that the story didn't matter because the film had some "great characters".

Robert Mitchum's character was wounded and needed to use a crutch, but Mitchum would switch which arm he used with the crutch through out shooting. The continuity was so poor that Wayne (who actually worked
    continuity in silents while a star college football player, a method used by Hollywood fans to slip players some spending money) had his character mention it in one of the last scenes. The director enjoyed it so much he left it in the movie.

Happy Birthday to Robert Mitchum.

See you along the trail,

Art

• Just saw Five-Card Stud for the first time. I didn't know that Robert Mitchum was in the movie, and as a preacher. The movie was pretty good. It starred Dean Martin, and Roddy McDowell. Anyway, I liked it. And Mitchum was good as a . . . , well you have to see it, if you haven't already.

Don't want to give away the plot for those who haven't seen the movie.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Yo Chesty you give a little bit of incorrect trivia regarding "El Dorado" Duke did not ask to play JP Harrah, however when Hawks give him the script for "Rio Lobo" Duke jokeingly said "do I get to play the drunk". This incorrect little bit of trivia also exists in the IMDB.

Cheers

B)

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by chester7777@Aug 6 2003, 10:38 PM
    We read this interesting article about Robert Mitchum over on the McCandles Texas forum at Yahoo. We thought you might enjoy it here.

Robbie,

We appreciate the input, but as we mentioned at the beginning of our post, we were simply sharing a post from another location. Apparently, Sheriff Art gets some of his info from IMDb. In fact, one of the biographical articles on IMDb, that Sheriff Art used in this article, was not credited at IMDb, but apparently written by one of the members of the McCandles Texas forum, who made a critical post, because he was upset for not receiving credit. It's hard to keep everybody happy.

BTW, you can contact IMDb on any trivia page, near the bottom -

You may report errors and omissions on this page to the IMDb database managers. They will be examined and if approved will be included in a future update. Clicking the button on the left will take you through a new improved step-by-step process.

C'mon, Robbie, do your part to correct an inaccuracy - let them know. :rolleyes:

Chester

• I think Lee Marvin was in the Man who shot liberty Valance also in the Comencheros also Cat Balou alsoin Paint Your Wagon he made a brilliant Cowboy one of my Favorites. :rolleyes:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• Chance,

It's interesting that you think that of Lee Marvin, because I see him more of a secret agent type in the In Like Flint movies. I also think of him mainly in war movies like The Dirt Dozen.

Anyway thank you for you comments.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo i'd think he'd a made a brilliant western star rivaling Eastwood Mitchum he had the voice and a look of an old fashion cowboy almost like the Duke.
    It's a pity he didn't make a few more westerns. :cowboy:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• Chance,

I will agree that if he made more westerns, he might be regarded more as a western star. He did so many different types of genres, and played them well. Really like him in Cape Fear with Gregory Peck.

The voice does make him a forceful type of western star. I bet he would have been with the greats if he was born ten years earlier with Duke, Stewart, Fonda, Borgart, etc.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote