Burt Lancaster

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,341 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Another actor who I have always liked, particularly in westerns, is Burt Lancaster. Does anyone know if Burt and the Duke knew each other? It would have been interesting to see them make a movie together, something like "Vera Cruz".

• LAWMAN 1971
    VALDEZ IS COMING 1971
    ULZANA'S RAID 1972
    three very different roles all very well done. this man was a great actor.:thumbs_up:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Another actor who I have always liked, particularly in westerns, is Burt Lancaster. Does anyone know if Burt and the Duke knew each other? It would have been interesting to see them make a movie together, something like "Vera Cruz".

I don't think that Duke and Lancaster had any interaction with each other. Duke was older and well established. And their acting styles were different. I don't recall any book I have of John Wayne ever mentioned anything about Burt Lancaster. I also don't follow Lancaster that closely, so I have never heard him mention Duke in anything either.

Maybe someone may know something about that. I did check my sources and didn't see anything.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I don't think that Duke and Lancaster had any interaction with each other. And their acting styles were different.

Not only their acting styles - their politics were 180 degrees apart also. Although we know of some instances where Wayne both acted and was directed by people who were his ideological opposites, so politics may not have had anything to do with their failure to get together.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I can almost guarantee y'all would like "The Devil's Disciple" with Burt, Kirk Douglas and Laurence Olivier, a delightful little comedy set during the time of the American Revolution.
    Burt is at his Lancaster best in this film. I don't think it's available on disc - I bought a tape and then recorded it to DVD.

• I always liked Burt in The Train or when he was playing mad Generals in the like of Twilights Last Gleaming or Seven Days in May.

I think he would have been a similar partnership to Duke like Kirk Douglas. Interestingly in Vera Cruz he is out acted by laconic Gary Cooper who dominates the movie despite Lancaster's over the top acting.

Mike

• I always liked Burt in The Train

That's another of my favorite Lancaster films. I also really like him in "The Rainmaker", where he was his ebullient best.

I bought a boxed set of Lancaster movies not long ago, which included "Jim Thorpe, All American". That was another good Lancaster film, I thought.

Burt was near the top of my list of favorite movie stars. Though he and Kirk Douglas broke into Hollywood prominence about the same time, I always liked Burt best. "From Here To Eternity" was always one of my favorites too.

• I like Elmer Gantry, a very unusual movie, but one that bears mention.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• "The Professionals" was a good movie and I have that in my collection. But don't forget, and I believe it was his last appearance in a movie, "Field of Dreams". He had a nice role in it and I enjoyed seeing him play the old doc.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• also not a great film but a fun movie to watch is tough guys, with kirk douglas a comedy about two old train robbers who after 30 years in prison tty to go straight without success.:thumbs_up:

• also not a great film but a fun movie to watch is tough guys, with kirk douglas a comedy about two old train robbers who after 30 years in prison tty to go straight without success.:thumbs_up:

Hi Bill, I too liked: Tough Guys-having seen it at the theater when it came out. I love the look on Kirk's face near the end after he fired his Uzi at the police cars. :thumbs_up: This has always been one of my favorite movie with the two of them together. I think the other one was: Devils Disciple-or something like that?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• thats's right Ringo the devil's disciple with sir laurence olivier. lancaster & douglas were a great team together. let's not forget seven days in may and gunfight at OK corral.

• let's not forget gunfight at OK corral.

I had forgotten "Gunfight at OK Corral", which has always been one of my favorite Westerns with Lancaster and Douglas together.

However, I thought Val Kilmer's performance in "Tombstone" was the ultimate Doc Holliday. In fact, I thought he deserved an Oscar for that role. Not only that but Kurt Russell wasn't half bad as Wyatt either.

• I had forgotten "Gunfight at OK Corral", which has always been one of my favorite Westerns with Lancaster and Douglas together.

However, I thought Val Kilmer's performance in "Tombstone" was the ultimate Doc Holliday. In fact, I thought he deserved an Oscar for that role. Not only that but Kurt Russell wasn't half bad as Wyatt either.

Stumpy, I gotta agree with you there. That was by far his best role and I don't know how well Tombstone would have done without Val being in there.

Stay thirsty my friends.