There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,850 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 220px-Tim_Holt_Western.jpgTIM HOLT

Information From IMDB

Date of Birth
    5 February 1918, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA

Date of Death
    15 February 1973, Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA (cancer)

Birth Name
    Charles John Holt III

Height
    5' 10" (1.78 m)

Spouse
    Birdee Stephens (1952 - 15 February 1973) (his death)
    Virginia Ashcroft (? - ?) (divorced)
    Alice Harrison (? - ?) (divorced)

Trivia
    Perhaps best remembered as the younger partner of Humphrey Bogart in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), in which his father, Jack Holt, played a bit part.

Brother of actress Jennifer Holt.

At the peak of his career in the 1940's "B" westerns, he was the "fastest draw" in the movies with the ability to draw his revolver in five frames of film (slightly over one-sixth of a second).

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1991.

From 1941-43 and 1948-52 Tim Holt was a top ten box office star.

Attended Culver Military Academy in Indiana, where his roommate was Hal Roach Jr.

During World War II Holt was a member of the Army Air Corps and was wounded - ironically, on the last day of the war - in a bombing raid over Tokyo, for which he received a Purple Heart.

Mini Biography
    As they say...like father, like son. Cowboy hero Tim Holt avidly followed in the boots of his famous character dad, actor Jack Holt (ne Charles John Holt), who appeared in hundreds of silents and talkies (many of them westerns) over the years. The two actually appeared together as father and son in the western The Arizona Ranger (1948) and Jack was glimpsed in the western classic The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) that co-starred Tim. Also a part of the acting Holt clan was lovely "prairie flower" Jennifer Holt (nee Elizabeth Marshall Holt), Tim's younger sister, who appeared in scores of 1940s oaters. The three, however, never performed together in a single film.

Tim was born Charles John Holt, Jr. in Beverly Hills on February 5, 1918, to Jack and his wife, Margaret Woods, at a time when Jack was just making a dent in silent films. Nicknamed "Tim", he was raised on his father's ranch in Fresno where he performing outside chores and learned to ride a horse. Tim, in fact, made his debut at age 10 in one of his father's westerns The Vanishing Pioneer (1928), based on a Zane Grey story. He played Jack's character as a young boy.

The boyishly rugged, athletically-inclined Tim attended military school in his teens where he excelled in polo. While studying at USC, he met and married college sweetheart Virginia Ashcroft in 1938. At this point he decided to try to put together an acting career. Virginia herself made a very brief foray into acting.

Tim apprenticed at various stock companies before he eased his way back into films with an unbilled part in History Is Made at Night (1937). He then earned strong notices in the classic Barbara Stanwyck tearjerker Stella Dallas (1937) and as Olivia de Havilland's brother in Gold Is Where You Find It (1938). His horseback riding capabilities and fast-drawing technique quickly kicked in with The Law West of Tombstone (1938), and he joined a superb cast in John Ford's classic western Stagecoach (1939) as a by-the-book lieutenant.

Hardly confined to westerns at this early stage, Tim showed impressive acting abilities in comedy (5th Ave Girl (1939)), adventures (Swiss Family Robinson (1940)) and high drama (Back Street (1941)), all for RKO Studios. He reached an early peak when Orson Welles cast him against type as the cruel, malicious son George in The Magnificent Ambersons (1942), a role Welles initially contemplated playing himself. By the mid-1940s, however, Tim had settled into the western genre. He starred in a series of dusty RKO features partnered with comic Cliff Edwards by his side and also appeared solo elsewhere.

WWII interrupted his thriving career. He was a decorated hero (Dintinguished Flying Cross, Victory Medal and Presidential Citation among them) while serving in the Air Corps and discharged with the rank of Second Lieutenant. Wounded in Tokyo on the last day of the war, he was also given the Purple Heart. He returned to films auspiciously with the role of Virgil Earp in Ford's My Darling Clementine (1946), then continued in a somewhat lesser vein with "B" level oaters. He came to the forefront one more time co-starring with gold prospecting rivals Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston in John Huston's masterpiece The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), arguably the hallmark of Tim's entire film career.

Richard Martin became his second sidekick in another popular string of RKO westerns, with Tim repeatedly making the "top ten" ranks of money-making cowboy stars. Appearing almost exclusively for RKO from 1939 on, Tim eventually became disillusioned with the quality of his pictures and decided to abandon filming after appearing in RKO's Desert Passage (1952), still a popular draw. Divorced from his second wife, Alice Harrison, he retired for the most part to his Oklahoma ranch with his third, Birdee Stephens, and three children. He later became a manager for a radio station in Oklahoma City. In 1957 he came out of retirement to head up the cast in the sub-par sci-fi horror The Monster That Challenged the World (1957), then quickly returned to anonymity.

Little was heard from Tim over the years, save a co-starring role in a lowbudget backwoods crimer This Stuff'll Kill Ya! (1971). He was diagnosed with bone cancer in August of 1972, and passed away rather quickly on February 15, 1973, shortly after his 55th birthday. Buried in Oklahoma, he was posthumously inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame in 1991 and was a recipient of the "Golden Boot" award in 1992.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Gary Brumburgh

Filmography
    Actor
    1. This Stuff'll Kill Ya! (1971) .... Agent Clark
    ... aka The Devil Wears Clodhoppers (USA)
    2. "The Virginian" .... Abe Landeen (1 episode, 1969)
    ... aka The Men from Shiloh (USA: new title)
    - A Woman of Stone (1969) TV episode .... Abe Landeen
    3. The Yesterday Machine (1963) .... Police Lt. Partane
    4. The Monster That Challenged the World (1957) .... Lt. Cmdr. John 'Twill' Twillinger
    5. "Schlitz Playhouse of Stars" (1 episode, 1954)
    ... aka Herald Playhouse (USA: syndication title)
    ... aka Schlitz Playhouse (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Playhouse (USA: syndication title)
    - Adventure in Java (1954) TV episode
    6. Desert Passage (1952) .... Tim Holt
    ... aka Starlight Canyon (USA)
    7. Target (1952) .... Tim Holt
    8. Road Agent (1952) .... Tim Holt
    9. Trail Guide (1952) .... Tim Holt
    10. Overland Telegraph (1951) .... Tim Holt
    11. Hot Lead (1951) .... Tim Holt
    12. Pistol Harvest (1951) .... Tim
    13. His Kind of Woman (1951) .... Bill Lusk
    14. Gunplay (1951) .... Tim Holt
    15. Saddle Legion (1951) .... Dave Saunders
    16. Law of the Badlands (1951) .... Dave Saunders aka the Tioga Kid
    17. Rio Grande Patrol (1950) .... Kansas
    18. Border Treasure (1950) .... Ed Porter
    19. Rider from Tucson (1950) .... Dave Saunders
    20. Storm Over Wyoming (1950) .... Dave Saunders
    21. Dynamite Pass (1950) .... Ross Taylor
    22. Riders of the Range (1950) .... Kansas Jones
    23. The Mysterious Desperado (1949) .... Tim Holt
    24. Masked Raiders (1949) .... Tim Holt
    25. Stagecoach Kid (1949) .... Dave Collins
    26. Rustlers (1949) .... Dick McBride
    27. Brothers in the Saddle (1949) .... Tim Taylor
    28. Gun Smugglers (1949) .... Tim Holt
    29. Indian Agent (1948) .... Dave Taylor
    30. The Arizona Ranger (1948) .... Bob Morgan
    31. Western Heritage (1948) .... Ross Daggert
    32. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) .... Bob Curtin
    ... aka Treasure of Sierra Madre (USA: poster title)
    33. Guns of Hate (1948) .... Bob Banning
    34. Wild Horse Mesa (1947) .... Dave Jordan
    35. Thunder Mountain (1947) .... Marvin Hayden
    36. Under the Tonto Rim (1947) .... Brad Canfield
    37. My Darling Clementine (1946) .... Virgil Earp
    ... aka John Ford's My Darling Clementine (UK: complete title) (USA: complete title)
    38. The Avenging Rider (1943) .... Brit Marshall aka Bill Scanlon
    39. Sagebrush Law (1943) .... Tom Weston
    40. Fighting Frontier (1943) .... Kit Russell
    41. Hitler's Children (1943) .... Lieutenant Karl Bruner
    42. Red River Robin Hood (1942) .... Jim Carey
    43. Pirates of the Prairie (1942) .... Deputy Marshal Larry Durant
    44. Bandit Ranger (1942) .... Clay Travers
    45. Thundering Hoofs (1942) .... Bill Underwood, aka Bill Dawson
    46. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) .... George Minafer
    47. Come on Danger (1942) .... Jack Mason
    48. Land of the Open Range (1942) .... Dave Walton
    49. Riding the Wind (1942) .... Clay Stewart
    50. Dude Cowboy (1941) .... Terry McVey
    51. The Bandit Trail (1941) .... Steve Haggerty
    52. Six-Gun Gold (1941) .... Don Cardigan
    53. Cyclone on Horseback (1941) .... Stan Bradford
    54. Robbers of the Range (1941) .... Jim Drummond, aka Curly Yantis
    55. Along the Rio Grande (1941) .... Jeff
    56. Back Street (1941) .... Richard Saxel
    57. Know for Sure (1941) (uncredited) .... Jerry Anderson
    58. The Fargo Kid (1940) .... The Fargo Kid
    59. Wagon Train (1940) .... Zack Sibley
    60. Swiss Family Robinson (1940) .... Fritz Robinson
    61. Laddie (1940) .... Laddie Stanton
    62. 5th Ave Girl (1939) .... Tim Borden
    63. The Girl and the Gambler (1939) .... Johnny Powell
    64. The Rookie Cop (1939) .... Clem Maitland
    ... aka Swift Vengeance (UK)
    65. The Spirit of Culver (1939) .... Capt. Wilson
    ... aka Man's Heritage (UK)
    ... aka Two Smart Boys (UK)
    66. Stagecoach (1939) .... Lt. Blanchard
    67. The Law West of Tombstone (1938) .... Ted, aka The Tonto Kid
    68. Sons of the Legion (1938) .... Steven Scott
    69. The Renegade Ranger (1938) .... Larry Corwin
    70. Gold Is Where You Find It (1938) .... Lanceford 'Lance' Ferris
    71. I Met My Love Again (1938) .... Budge
    72. Stella Dallas (1937) .... Richard 'Dick' Grosvenor III
    73. History Is Made at Night (1937) (uncredited) .... S.O.S. Radio Operator
    74. The Vanishing Pioneer (1928) .... John Ballard, Age 7
    75. Young Hollywood (1927)

Watch a Tim Holt Full Movie and Trailers in:-

Tim's Video Gallery

Here is the Full Movie:-

The Yesterday Machine (1963)

The Yesterday Machine

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Decorated War hero, and awarded the Purple Heart,
    on the last day of the war, Tim Holt was to become
    not just a 'B' western star, but also, a western legend.
    He was in the the Top Ten box office stars, for many years,
    and made his name in his own series of 'B' movies.

Born into a western movie family,
    son of character actor Jack Holt and brother
    of Jennifer Holt, who in her own right starred in
    many 'oaters'.

Tim, was one of the fastest drawers of a six gun, in movie history.

At the peak of his career in the 1940's "B" westerns, he was the "fastest draw" in the movies with the ability to draw his revolver in five frames of film (slightly over one-sixth of a second)

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers
    of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1991

Tim appeared as Virgil Earp, in My Darling Clementine

He also appeared in a support role in 1 film with Duke.

Stagecoach(1939) .... Lt. Blanchard

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 11 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• When I was a kid, I saw alot of the "B" western series he did with Richard Martin and enjoyed them very much. Every once in awhile, Encores Westerns Channel, will show one of these and they're still good to watch. To bad they're not available on home video.

• Iv'e seen several movies with him in it-Stagecoach and Treasure of the Sierrra Madre come to mind. I always did like him even way before seeing any of his movies-don't know why that was so but, it's the truth ;-))

Also, when I lived in Kingsville, TX, I met a guy who owned and operater a convience store, who was related to Tim Holt. This guy had pictures of Holt hanging throught his store.

I almost forgot. I also knew another store owner by the name of Hoot Gibson. This guy owned a gas station/store and I used to go to it all the time after school and during the summer-mainly to play video games. Anyway, he too was related somehow-to his names sake.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• a great actor in b westerns.his rko western were above average.he and jack holt played son and father in the excellent b western reneagade ranger.he nevered acted with his sister jennifer holt.

• the western channel is doing a salute to Tim on 1-29-2011. Tim is buried a half mile from my home, in Harrah Oklahoma. I still visit his grave. His son still lives in Harrah. I talk with elders and they remeber the day he died and they day Duke came to town twice as matter of fact once in a parade and the other for his funeral. I believe duke saw him the day he died in Shawnee hospital about 15 miles away. We have Tim Holt drive in Harrah. I always liked Holts movies. My little town has quite a history with the waners being born here, carl Hubbel up the road a piece. Behind my house is the old wagon trail and you can still see the buffalo wallers from sattelite. The prarie grass on 50 acres is virgin ground, I take my dog and we'll sit in the wallers reliving the buffalo grazing as a few Indian Hunters riding by and we listen for the noon stage as she creaks and hoofs pound the ground making time for the passengers, Maybe Bill Tiglman is riding through with one of the doolins as prisoner. I hear Gunshots and a hoop and hollar its old Pete Bourbon drunk again, I reckon I better meander over there and take his gun away for he shoots himself and lock him up for the night. Yes my little Town was there. God bless America!!

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Thank you for bringing Holt's full career to my attention. I had no idea he had made so many "B" westerns. I know him from his roles in the famous films and particularly enjoy him in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

The last scene of him laughing with Houston in that film was given a homage at the end of The Wild Bunch. After seeing that one, Robert Ryan and Tim Holt always reminded me of one another Guess I've got some catching up to do with Tim.

We deal in lead, friend.

• the western channel is doing a salute to Tim on 1-29-2011. Tim is buried a half mile from my home, in Harrah Oklahoma. I still visit his grave. His son still lives in Harrah. I talk with elders and they remeber the day he died and they day Duke came to town twice as matter of fact once in a parade and the other for his funeral. I believe duke saw him the day he died in Shawnee hospital about 15 miles away. We have Tim Holt drive in Harrah. I always liked Holts movies. My little town has quite a history with the waners being born here, carl Hubbel up the road a piece. Behind my house is the old wagon trail and you can still see the buffalo wallers from sattelite. The prarie grass on 50 acres is virgin ground, I take my dog and we'll sit in the wallers reliving the buffalo grazing as a few Indian Hunters riding by and we listen for the noon stage as she creaks and hoofs pound the ground making time for the passengers, Maybe Bill Tiglman is riding through with one of the doolins as prisoner. I hear Gunshots and a hoop and hollar its old Pete Bourbon drunk again, I reckon I better meander over there and take his gun away for he shoots himself and lock him up for the night. Yes my little Town was there. God bless America!!

thanks brick for the history of where you live and about tim holt.it's great to have a famous western actor just up the road from you.

• Thanks Brick, for the heads up. I'll be sure to tune in. Tim has always been one of my favorites. How do you find out what is on the Western Channel ahead of time? I would be interested in that as I make personal copies for my collection and I sometimes pick up ones I don't have on the Western Channel and TCM . Thanks again - Big Jim

• Big Jim The western channel anounces its six gun salute daily to whatever actor. When you watch it daily as I do You'll learn true west moments and the stars they'll salute in weeks and or months to come. I'll bet if you go to their website you'll see whats upcoming. I usually watch ole gene and smiley daily. Smiley Burnette was a gifted musician not to mention funny to boot. So theree you have it now you know what a boring life I live. lol God Bless America

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Thanks Brick: I was hoping they had a monthly guide like TCM. I do almost the same thing with Gene and Smiley but I record it and probably don't watch the before and after, missing the up n comming. I'll do that from now on. Smiley was great. He also invented numerous instruments and played many of them in their films. Sad he died young but we have the films to watch and enjoy. Thanks for the come back - Big Jim.

• The Warner Archives just released a big Tim Holt box set! 10 films on 5 DVDs.

http://www.wbshop.com/Tim-Holt…017,default,pd.html?cgid=

Tim Holt Western Classics Vol. 1 DVD set:

Between 1938 and 1952 famed A-list supporting player Tim Holt took the reins as leading player in more than 40 rip-snorting oaters at RKO, reigning as a king of the Western Bs. Get ready to slap leather alongside Holt as this wagon train sized collection brings 10 of them to you from the early years of Holt's long ride.

RENEGADE RANGER 1938 - Western star George O'Brien passes the torch to Tim Holt, also featuring Rita Hayworth.

LAW WEST OF TOMBSTONE 1938 - Tim Holt backs up Harry Carey,playing a con man become law man, in this unconventional Western.

ALONG THE RIO GRANDE 1941 - In order to avenge their boss, three cowhands pose as bank robbers. With Ray Whitley.

BANDIT TRAIL 1941 - A bank robber poses as a Town Marshal, only to find the law growing on him. With Roy Barcroft.

ROBBERS OF THE RANGE 1941 - Framed for murder, a rancher assumes a dead man's identity in his quest for justice. With Virginia Vale.

DUDE COWBOY 1941 - A federal agent investigates a counterfeiting ring at a dude ranch. With Marjorie Reynolds.

COME ON DANGER 1942 - Holt takes the lead in this new take on the Renegade Ranger tale. With Ray Whitley.

BANDIT RANGER 1942 - A young rancher is framed for the murder of a ranger. With Cliff Edwards.

PIRATES OF THE PRAIRIE 1942 - A Deputy U.S. Marshall investigates two towns ruled by vigilantes. With Nell O'Day.

FIGHTING FRONTIER 1943 - Special Investigator Kit Russell discovers that a gang of robbers has a secret master. With Ann Summers.

Also just released:

Two Joel McCrea films:
    Stars in My Crown.
    The Outriders (1950) with Claude Jarman, Jr. and James Whitmore.

Two Robert Taylor Westerns:
    Ambush (1950): Sam Wood's last film and Ride, Vaquero (1953)