Hd Dvd And Blu Ray

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,637 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• With the emergence of HD DVD and Blu Ray, what is the difference in these to DVD?

Will they be in regions as the DVDs?

I have seen some (very little) of Duke movies out right now, will they take the place of DVDs?

Right now, The Searchers is the only one out that I know of, heard of any others in the near future?

I haven't seen the machines out yet in stores, are they only available on-line?

Does anyone have the others? How do you like it?

I know that DVDs can be played on HD DVD, but what about Blu Ray?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'm curious about this "blue ray" myself. I saw a small display in Target the other day - Noticed that the prices were considerably higher than regular DVDs. We are reaching the point of diminishing returns here on how we can get the absolute best product. Personally, I'm very happy with the quality of DVDs the way they are now. This seems to me another way to get consumers to spend their money to try to upgrade their video collections and be the first on their block to do so :stunned: . Just how much improvement will this "blue ray" be over a regular DVD? I think we have reached the point where one would have to make a direct comparison between the two to distinguish any improvement.
    Cheers - Jay <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Nov 27 2006, 12:53 PM
    I'm curious about this "blue ray" myself. I saw a small display in Target the other day - Noticed that the prices were considerably higher than regular DVDs. We are reaching the point of diminishing returns here on how we can get the absolute best product. Personally, I'm very happy with the quality of DVDs the way they are now. This seems to me another way to get consumers to spend their money to try to upgrade their video collections and be the first on their block to do so :stunned: . Just how much improvement will this "blue ray" be over a regular DVD? I think we have reached the point where one would have to make a direct comparison between the two to distinguish any improvement.
    Cheers - Jay <_<

[snapback]37269[/snapback]

I know nothing about these other types of DvD's but, I fully agreew with ya Jay. I also will add, that I Aint
    going to start buying another kind of dvd. I flat out just can't afford to do so.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Well, techno geek here to the rescue.

"HD DVD" and "BLU-Ray" are competing formats for the high definiton versions of movies that are coming out now. HD DVD discs can hold approx. 30 GB of data while Blu Ray holds 50 GB. Regular dvd's only hold 9 GB of data, so they have alot more space on the disc to fit specail features and menu options, as well as the high def version of the film. As you have already surmised and if you are old enough to remember, they are in the same type of war that VHS and Betamax were doing back in the early 80's. So its best just to sit on the sidelines for now and wait and see what happen's. The companies will not be abandoning the regular DVD format for sometime as they know there are way to many people out there with regular DVD players.

The biggest problem is that they both use different technologies to watch there movies on so the players will not play both format's. Just the one's they were designed for. So a Blu-Ray player will not play a HD DVD disc and vice versa. But all both types of format's players will play our "old" DVD's just fine.

As to the actual HD DVD and Blu-Ray disc players, there are a few out there and they are quit expensive. Best Buy has a couple of them that I know of and you can pick them up online or any TV/Stereo place and they are in the $800-$1000 range and anybody who picks up a Sony Playstation 3, if you can find one, has a built in Blu-Ray disc player that will play the Blu-Ray DVD's as that is the format that Sony is using to put there games on. Also, just the other day I was at Walmart and saw a RCA HD DVD player for $499 or something like that.

The other thing to consider is that if you were to go and buy one of these players, you will need a High Definition TV to play it on. I myself am waiting to see what happens and will not make the jump till one or the other wins out(my money is on the Blu-Ray disc as it holds more data then HD DVD). If you haven't watch a movie in HD yet it is really very nice to see, as well as your local programing from ABC, NBC, and CBS is as well. Sports in HD is really nice to see and you can see very clearly what is going on. If you can swing it , go HD you will not be sorry. And you don't have to buy a expensive, huge TV to do it. You can get just about any size TV in a HD format and they are really geting competitive on there prices.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne