The Dakotas (1963)

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,894 times. The latest Post () was by Laramie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE DAKOTAS

WARNER BROTHERS TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Marshal Ragan and his deputies maintain the peace in the Badlands of the Dakota Territory

Series Cast
    Larry Ward ... Marshal Frank Ragan / ... (20 episodes, 1963)
    Jack Elam ... Deputy J.D. Smith (20 episodes, 1963)
    Chad Everett ... Deputy Del Stark (20 episodes, 1963)
    Michael Greene ... Deputy Vance Porter (19 episodes, 1963)
    Lee Van Cleef ... Larry Jackson / ... (2 episodes, 1963)
    Don Kelly ... Paul Young / ... (2 episodes, 1963)
    Norman Alden ... Jim Barton / ... (2 episodes, 1963)
    Jeanne Cooper ... Marti Stevens / ... (2 episodes, 1963)
    Boyd 'Red' Morgan ... Bartender / ... (2 episodes, 1963)
    Sailor Vincent ... Barfly / ... (2 episodes, 1963)

Series Directed by
    Stuart Heisler (8 episodes, 1963)
    Charles R. Rondeau (3 episodes, 1963)
    Allan A. Buckhantz (2 episodes, 1963)
    Paul Landres (2 episodes, 1963)
    Richard C. Sarafian (2 episodes, 1963)
    Robert Totten (2 episodes, 1963)

Series Produced by
    William T. Orr .... executive producer (20 episodes, 1963)
    Anthony Spinner .... producer (20 episodes, 1963)
    Jules Schermer .... supervising producer (11 episodes, 1963)

Series Writing Credits
    Cy Chermak (4 episodes, 1963)
    E.M. Parsons (4 episodes, 1963)
    and others...

Series Original Music
    William Lava (15 episodes)

Filming Location
    Warner Brothers Burbank Studios-Burbank, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Dakotas is an American Western television series starring Larry Ward
    and featuring Jack Elam broadcast by ABC during 1963.
    The short-lived show is a spin-off of Cheyenne,

The Dakotas is perhaps most notable for the fact that it was cancelled one week
    after heavy viewer protest over an objectionable scene.

Our member Laramie mentioned this one so here it is.
    This series is unknown to me,
    so maybe memebers might post a review.

Warner Brothers presents "The Dakotas"!, 7 June 2009
    Author: geostrategic from United States

Of all the Westerns on TV during the early 1960s "The Dakotas", produced by Warner Brothers, was by far the very top of the top shelf. The hour long western drama was hard hitting, likely a bit too early for its time, but one true TV Western fans wished was not taken off the air so quickly.

I agree with the vast majority of reviewers, Western TV & motion picture veteran gunman & bad guy, Jack Elam, really made this TV western show one I really looked forward watching, after homework of course. The rest of the cast was equally fine, attempting to maintain the Dakota territorial law any way they could. The show had numerous familiar favourite guest Western stars who appeared, making for great Western TV entertainment. The show's musical score was wonderful! I shall always fondly remember "The Dakotas"!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I remember this show very well because it was the first time I ever saw Jack Elam as a hero instead of the steady stream of villains he played up to that time. If I remember correctly, the four guys had been outlaws at one time, maybe went to prison or not but, were persuaded to become lawmen, U.S. Marshalls, I believe. And out of the cast, only Elam and Chad Everett became household names.

• The Dakotas appeared in the Cheyenne series.While Clint Walker was havng problems with Warners,The Dakotas was a stand in.But when Walker came back to work,the public wanted to see more of The Dakotas.
    The series ran for only one season with 19 episodes however.
    "Sanctuary at Crystal Springs"was the next to last episode, and also the reason for cancellation. The Marshals were after two killers that held up in a church.Elam and Everett stormed the church(during services)and killed them.There was outrage from the publc over this episode so it was canceled.

.......Now.........The pilot of The Dakotas!!!

Larry Ward(Marshal Frank Regan) came to town to find the killer of his wife.Chad Everett(Del Stark}was raised by the man who sent the kller.
    Mike Greene(Vance Porter}was Sheriff of the town but the elder Starks puppet.Jack Elam(J.D.Smith)was a gunfighter Stark hired to kill Regan.But in the end they all joined in with the Marshal and became U.S.Deputy Marshals under Regan.

WESTERNS WERE CANCELED BECAUSE OF VIOLENCE...SOAP OPERAS ARE MORE VIOLENT TODAY!!

Edited once, last by Laramie ().