My Darling Clementine

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,379 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 9:15 a.m. CDT, I received an e-mail to the effect that My Darling Clementine, a John Ford picture is going to be released in the States on January 6, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast List
    Henry Fonda ... Wyatt Earp
    Linda Darnell ... Chihuahua
    Victor Mature ... Dr. John 'Doc' Holliday
    Cathy Downs ... Clementine Carter
    Walter Brennan ... Old Man Clanton
    Tim Holt ... Virgil Earp
    Ward Bond ... Morgan Earp
    Alan Mowbray ... Granville Thorndyke
    John Ireland ... Billy Clanton
    Roy Roberts ... Mayor
    Jane Darwell ... Kate Nelson
    Grant Withers ... Ike Clanton
    J. Farrell MacDonald ... Mac the barman
    Russell Simpson ... John Simpson
    Francis Ford ... Dad, Old Soldier
    Earle Foxe ... Gambler
    Don Garner ... James Earp
    Ben Hall ... Barber
    Aleth 'Speed' Hanson ... Guitarist
    Duke R. Lee ... Townsman
    Don Barclay ... Opera House Owner
    Fred Libby ... Phin Clanton
    Robert Adler ... Stagecoach Driver
    Kermit Maynard ... Townsman
    Louis Mercier ... François, the Chef
    Hank Bell ... Opera House Patron
    Jack Pennick ... Stagecoach Driver
    Mickey Simpson ... Sam Clanton
    Charles Stevens ... Indian Joe
    Arthur Walsh ... Hotel Clerk
    Danny Borzage ... Accordionist
    Harry Woods ... Luke
    Frank Conlan ... Pianist
    Jack Curtis ... Bartender
    William B. Davidson ... Asian Saloon Owner
    C.E. Anderson ... Townsman
    Mae Marsh ... Simpson's Sister
    Margaret Martin ... Woman
    Frances Rey ... Woman

Go to this website.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...3960600-5944630

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading through the cast, seeing "old, familiar" names like Ward Bond and Jack Pennick (and of course the star Henry Fonda, and others like Walter Brennan and Francis Ford, whose name would mean nothing to me except for all that extra stuff on The Quiet Man DVD, about him being John Ford's brother).

And just does how one get on an e-mail list that notifies one of releases such as this? :unsure:

Chester :cowboy:

• Good question, Chester!

I happen to go to Amazon.com and look for a particular movie title that I could possibly get on DVD. If it doesn't have a release from them, they take you to a page where you can get put on an e-mail list when the movie will come out. I do happen to have The High & The Mighty, and Island In The Sky on that e-mail notification when they will come out on DVD.

My Darling Clementine, as well as several others have been on my waiting list. I don't remember when I put My Darling Clementine on the e-mail notification list, but it must have been over a year ago. I forgot I did it, but Amazon.com didn't.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just a reminder that it's coming up very soon.

My Darling Clementine, a John Ford picture is going to be released in the States on January 6, 2004.

Get your copy of this great classic.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• thanks hondo for this information when do i get to kill you ;) only kidding just now this is another movie i will have to wait 3 - 6 months for it to be released in my zone. don't worry still love you guys well sometimes at least :lol:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• smokey,

you wound me. If you just come to states, like I said in the past, you'd get the movies at the same time. ;)

I'm sure it will come out sooner than that, but I'll tell you how good they are when I get them. :lol:

Have a grand day with your bloke.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• oh hondo,

how can you be so bad and make me wait till you have watched it :D . thanks will wait for your report on the movie.

will have a great day with the little bloke, will think of you if we have a fine hot day so stay near your fire and stay warm ;)

catch up with you soon

cheers smokey

• Well,

My copy of My Darling Clementine is on it's way according to my confirmation from DeepDiscountDVD.com. ;)

I recieved it this afternoon (Tuesday, December 30). I bet I get it by Saturday (January 3). That's service, since the DVD is due to be out Tuesday, Januray 6. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see that John Ford classic. :D

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• hondo,

have a jolly good weekend, get the popcorn out and sit back and watch your movie, and you can tell us all about it by monday ;)

happy watching

cheers smokey :P

• Chester,

It's US$14.64 including shipping. This is a great price, considering taxes in the big city is 10%, and travel is 45 miles (60.96 KM). So figure the price, I might be paying as much as US$24 after gas/tax and a possibility of not finding it. :blink:

I'll watch this in honor of you smokey. :lol: And I'll gvie a report to you.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• I got my copy of the movie, today. And it is great. The picture is rich, and the extras are good. It has a commentary by Wyatt Earp III. Behind the scenes featurette about Alternate Version, Alternate pre-release version of the movie. It is in full frame format, and has english, spanish, french audio. The subtitles are in english, and spanish. It's a great John Ford classic, and a must have in your western video library.

I've seen the movie only, but will get to the rest later. Everyone have a great day.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• They still have those bat doors from the "Clementine"-Saloon at the museum at Goulding's in Monument Valley - anybody ever been there? The town of Tombstone was built close to Goulding's (where the main road actually divides and leads up to the valley) - the same place where many Ford scenes were filmed, like a portion of the fort in "Yellow Ribbon".

• After seeing the movie closely, I discovered that the alternate pre-release version of the movie is sort of like the version that John Ford wanted in the movie before the head at Fox studios chopped it up to the final version that we are familar with today. The behind the scenes featurette about Alternate Version, was seen and they made the comparisions, and it's really fascinating. There was some lost footage from the Ford version that was never found, so the put what they could.

The story goes that a film class at UCLA was seeing this film and discovered that this was not the same movie. After long research, they discovered that this was the film that Ford presented to the studio for viewing with 30 additional minutes. The execs saw the film and didn't say anything but the next day sent a memo or letter to Ford of their concens about the movie. The people a Fox went back and edited, and reshot without Ford the scenes that they wanted changed, and added more of a musical score in the scenes. Anyway, they made major changes, that nobody knew about until recently.

I haven't read the Ford bio, so I don't know if there were anything mentioned in the book. It would be interesting if that book said something about the finish product of that movie. It was noted that this was one of the greatest Ford films ever, only to know that his work was changed from what he wanted.

I see that this movie was shot at Monument Valley. One of Ford's favorite locations. It's good that the set is still up after over 50 years. I'll have to get there soon. Thanks for the heads up Roland.

Anyway, that was in the new DVD of My Darling Clementine with both versions of the movie. I'll be watching soon both movies in one DVD. :)

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• As always, Ford never talked much about his films - but in the case of Clementine, he was really quiet. I guess it's because the film is regarded as a masterpiece - and not as a film that was chopped up by a studio. Why? It was filmland's wonderboy Darryl F. Zanuck who did the changing, and he was no fool. What he did is very well documented in the book "Memo from Darryl F. Zanuck" which has Zanuck's writings and orders, word by word. Ford mentioned the changing of the end to Peter Bogdanovich, and that he was forced into it.
    Hondo, the set - the town of Tombstone - was pulled down after the filming (note that Ford put in some fake cactus that doesn't grow in Monument Valley). What you can find today is the exact spot, and the only thing left in Monument Valley is, as I said, the bat doors at the museum.

• Hi Hondo, Chester and Itdo

Before I start can I say that I consider John Ford's 'My Darling Clementine' one of his finest pictures and very similar to 'Young Lincoln' which besides also starring Henry Fonda also had a number of similarities particularly in the dance and grave scenes.

However-

As you rightly say Itdo Ford never spoke much about My Darling Clementine even when pressed to name his favourite pictures.

Ford prided himself on his meticulous adherence to history particulary in his westerns and always followed the historical facts. A close inspection of the entire film reveals that in this case his knowledge of the Earps, and even stranger when Ford states that he counted Wyatt Earp among his personal friends and actually had Earp's rifle, was lacking somewhat.

apparantly James Earp was the eldest of the brothers not the youngest and could not have been killed in a cattle rustling incident as the Earps did not own cattle in Tombstone. He was killed in 1881 and not 1882.

By the time of the gunfight in October 1881 Old Man Clanton was dead.

None of the Earps had been shot prior to the gunfight and all emerged unscathed from the resulting battle although both Morgan and Virgil were subsequently killed in seperate incidents.

The biggest alteration to history is when Ford killed off Doc Holliday when he actually died from tuberulosis in a Colarado sanitarium in 1885.

In 'John Ford's American West' Ford explained how he came to film the actual gunfight and placed the emphasis on the arrival of the stagecoach. He explained that Wyatt Earp had told him about the gunfight and how he had planned his entire strategy on the arrival of the stage and the ensuing dust being enough to give him covering fire.

Watching 'My Darling Clementine' you can understand the later 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' and the statement 'when the legend becomes fact print the legend'.

Regarding the cutting Ford was a great believer in cutting with the camera, and on occasions he would hold his hand in front of the camera thus self cutting. This ensured that the editor was left with very little film to play with.

Darryl Zanuck however in scenes reminiscent of The Barbarian and the Geisha got the film and took out a number of scenes. Jane Darnell as the madam of the whorehouse was particully savaged to little more than a cameo role.

When Ford found out what Zanuck had done he was most displeased and felt that the picture had been taken away from him.

Others felt that the clash was a simple matter of Ford adopting a deliberate well ordered structure as opposed to Zanucks impatience and that his resulting fast structure had destroyed the rhythm of the picture.

Although the film received good reviews it was not considered to be a classic and its supporters while being complimentary about the direction and the beauty of the picture dismissed it as at worst horse opera and at best as a rip roaring saga.

His critics weren't so complimentry one found the film to be 'a slow poke cowboy epic ruined by Ford's pictorializing', while another claimed: that Ford's happy preoccupation with style reduced his material to a sentimental legend of rural America'

Taking your point in an earlier post Itdo the film is an art form to be enjoyed. Documentaries are for fact, and I will now repeat what I said earlier, right wrong or indifferent factual or legend I find Ford's
    westerns very watchable and I do like 'My Darling Clementine'

Regards
    Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The DVD tells us a little bit about what happen to the picture, and Zanuck went back to edit the film himself. He brought in another director to refilm what changes he wanted to make.

The Documentary tells us that 'after Ford left the picutre', Zanuck began redoing the picture. The ending was different from Ford's ending with more dialogue and a kiss. In Ford's ending, he had a little spoken part, and Fonda's character shaking hands with the girl. As a matter of fact Zanuck had Fonda and Cathy Downs come back, and reshoot the last scene a the studio. That was after it was reviewed by a test audience who wanted more of an affectionate ending. This is an interesting DVD, and I hope all will get it.

It's a great buy.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Well, call me Johnny-Come-Lately, but a year later, we have finally purchased and watched My Darling Clementine. Costco had DVD 2-packs, and this one had My Darling Clementine coupled with The Ox-Bow Incident. The other one I bought had How Green Was My Valley and The Grapes of Wrath. Each pack was $13.99 plus tax.

We really enjoyed watching MDC, and seeing some good ol' favorites from John Wayne movies, and also just from many of the old movies we have watched. It's interesting that you should mention the different endings, Hondo, because as we watched the ending in the pre-release version, even Christopher commented that John Wayne would at least have swept Clementine into his arms and kissed her before leaving :D .

At the beginning of ours, it says -

This version of John Ford's My Darling Clementine was copied from a 1946 nitrate preview print. It contains additional footage not in the general release version as well as a different soundtrack.

Our DVD probably has the general release version, but we couldn't find the remote control for the DVD player :headbonk: , so couldn't watch any special features, and by default watched the pre-release version.

We appreciate you guys talking about it here; we might not ever have bought it, but are glad we did.

Chester :newyear: