Jack Elam Dies

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,558 times. The latest Post () was by Emmanuel.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Sorry to here about the death of Jack Elam a superb character actor and one of the best good/bad guys i have ever seen.
    Chance :stunned:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• Olde to Jack Elam. A cranky old man who made the picture industry a character in itself. He had a good life, and it showed in the movies he made. Rio Lobo in my opinion was saved by the way he brought out his character in that movie, and without saying the character Duke played also. Take care Jack and give Duke a big "Howdy!"

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Sad to hear that another actor from the western movies has past. There aren't many of them left. I'm sure they must be having a blast up there at the Big Ranch.
    Funny man.
    Little Duke

• :uhuh: Sorry to hear about Jacks death! Met him twice
    in Palm springs , california U.S.A..... He was a great man, funny thing about him always seemed so tuff on film..But at his home he had the most wonderful flock of peacoks!! Say Hi to all the great's up there!
    C-ya chuckie

• September and October have been bad bad months for the duke's co-workers
    besides Jack Elam, we have lost Lyle Bettger (24-9-03), Sheb Woolley (14-9-03)
    George Plimpton (25-9-03), Louise Platt (06-9-03) and Ruth Hall (09-10-03)
    There arn't many left its very sad to see them go.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I'm sorry to see Jack go too. The man was under-rated in my mind. I liked the comedies I saw him in too. The man knew how to play off his looks. Lot's of the old timers are going. Can't see to many "flavors of the week" who can take their place.

• I too am sorry to hear of the death of jack,he was another of my favourites,he did a good job in support your local sherrif (dont know if he was in sopport your local gunfighter) and surprised to hear of george plimptons passing as well.

Originally posted by CHANCE@Oct 23 2003, 07:14 AM
    Sorry to here about the death of Jack Elam a superb character actor and one of the best good/bad guys i have ever seen.
    Chance :stunned:

[snapback]5026[/snapback]

i argee one of the last great unsung heros,a great actor who could play any roll at all,do you know how many of the old school is still alive,i think kirk douglas must be about the last,can you think of any others.rab.

• Yeah, I miss his acting as well. One of his best besides Rio Lobo had to be when he was with James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff or was it Support Your Local Gunfighter? I forget which. Jack Elam was nothing short of brilliant in that movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Jack Elam stood out in "Rio Lobo." It's too bad that he didn't get cast in other John Wayne pics (other than "The Comancheros"). He was one of the great character actors. I read somewhere in the dark ages of my past that he originally was an accountant before breaking into pictures. One of his early outings was in "Rawhide," with Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward, where he was a very nasty baddie.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@May 15 2005, 12:35 PM
    Yeah, I miss his acting as well. One of his best besides Rio Lobo had to be when he was with James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff or was it Support Your Local Gunfighter? I forget which. Jack Elam was nothing short of brilliant in that movie.

[snapback]16738[/snapback]

Actually, Ringo, he appeared in both movies. We've enjoyed him recently in both of those films, and also movies such as The Over-the-Hill Gang, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, and The Apple Dumpling Gang.

Although IMDb is not the final word, here is their filmography for Jack Elam.

I'm surprised the number of movies I've actually seen him in.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi all.

As a kid I remember Jack Elam as "Toothy Thompson" in "Sugarfoot" on TV. and for years whenever I saw him that was all I called him. Even today if I was to talk about him to my brothers, all I would have to say is "Toothy Thompson" and they'd know who I was talking about.

A great actor.

Duke once said. It's getting to a time when I know more dead people than living ones.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Emmanuel.

• I'd like to remind you, Emmanuel, that I'm still alive, and I'll have one or more of those black beers,with you, anytime.

Here I think is a most fitting tribute to Jack Elam:-
    He was in PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID,
    In it, his part was Alamosa Bill,
    In the film, his dying words, were,

"AT LEAST I'LL BE REMEMBERED"

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Ethan.

It's good to know that while others are throwing off this mortal coil. We who still remain, shall at least endeavor to consume on their behalf, whatever of the black beer we can lay our hands on.

In the time honoured way of the Irish wake we shall drink to those who can no longer drink to themselves.

Rest In Peace Jack Elam.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.