In How Many Films Did John Wayne's Character Die?

There are 32 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 23,494 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Bob,

Duke's character met with death in 8 of his movies. They are:

1. Central Airport
    2. Reap the Wild Wind
    3. The Fighting Seabees
    4. Wake of the Red Witch
    5. Sands of Iwo Jima
    6. The Alamo
    7. The Cowboys
    8. The Shootist

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" had Duke already dead, but reflected on his life with the James Stewart character. Count it or not he did not die in the movie.

Hondo :)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• There is actually one more movie that I know about. When duke was really young he was cast a a corpse for Columbia( im not sure of the title) duke was so annoyed at the disgusting way he was treated at columbia that he never worked for them again which shows what a real man he is even though he had to turn down some big roles. I dont know if this film counts or not as one in which he dies in but I thought I'd let you know!!!

Regards
    Robbie

• The last movie Duke was in with Columbia pictures was Two-Fisted Law released August 30, 1932. I don't know anything about the picture that tells me if Duke was a corpse or not, so if anyone seen the movie, they might be able to tell us that. It stars Tim McCoy, Alice Day and Walter Brennan. I only have a two sentence synopisis of the movie with no information about Duke.

Hondo :unsure:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo

I have "Two-Fisted Law" and he doesn't die in this one. He's not even close to a lead part in it. The movie is pretty bad. When you think of cheesy westerns with overdone hats, holsters and horse stunts, this movie is a prime example. The film is weak at best and the duke really has nothing to do with the plot.

later

Idaho

• Robbie,

Here is your answer you were looking for. The movie was THE DECEIVER (1931) - Ian Keith played Thorp in this film and John Wayne took over when this character became a corpse.

He's not really in the movie, but I guess you can count that. He was just a stand in.

Hondo B)

P.S. Idaho, thanks for the info on Two-Fisted Law.

- John Wayne quote

• john also died physically at the end of chisum when he was fell on cow horns. He died psychologically at the end of the Searchers when he learns he cannot fit into civilisation

• Hey there Big Jake. Sorry, your info is wrong about Chsim. The character who died on the cow horns was played by Forrest Tucker during the fight with Duke. They both fell from the balcony, and Tucker landed with the horns jabbed in his chest.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in the movie, "The Searchers." Maybe if you explain what you mean, that might clear up what you mean.

Welcome to the board.

Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• Yo Big Jake regarding the Duke getting killed in Chisum all I can say to you is NOT HARDLY, WATCH THE MOVIE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way Hondo nice work in finding out the name of that Movie ;)

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Just a thought -

This particular question has been asked more than once in the General Discussions (as have several others), and I wonder if a section might be set up called, originally enough, Frequently Asked Questions?

You know, there are the four sections on this message board - Trading Post, General Discussions, Off Topic, and Board News and Announcements.

On the other side of the coin, we wouldn't have the fun of answering these questions again (and again, and again and . . . :P ).

By the bye,

Chester

• :D

well we all like discussing these matters, but as we say down under "not as thick as some" i say this because if you look through the pages one would find the right page to access these questions.

:rolleyes:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• This should be an easy question for most of you...
    Am i correct in my belief that the only John Wayne film in which his character died was "The Cowboys" {1972}
    Is that right?
    and if so, can someone please point me to some sort of web based documentation of this fact?
    Please?
    I'm trying to win a bet ;)
    Please send responces to...
    [email protected]

• Gee, I thought he got killed in The Sands of Iwo Jima! I guess he was tired and went to sleep. ;)

bc105
    There is another thread that discusses this, but just in case;
    The Sands of Iwo Jima
    The Shootist
    The Cowboys
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (he was dead at the begining)
    The Alamo
    Wake of the Red Witch
    Reap the Wild Wind
    The Fighting Seabees

There were other movies in his B grade years, but I won't list them.
    I hope this helps you, oh, wait, this means you lost the bet! Cripes! I guess I can't split the winning with you 75/25. And here I was going to get 75% and buy me a new John Wayne DVD. I'll just slink out of here real quickly! :angry:

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Hi Das Woplf

Welcome to the John Wayne Messege Board, the best one in town, I hope you'll stay and enjoy the experience.

The film your after is Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) in which he played Sergeant Stryker and was nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

I NEVER SEEN HIM DIE..JOHN WAYONE CAN NOT DIE HE IS THE MAN IN THE FILM

I believe that statement was sarcasm, correct? ;)

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne