Buster Keaton

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,684 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• BUSTER KEATON

Information from iMDb

Date of Birth
    4 October 1895,
    Piqua, Kansas, USA

Date of Death
    1 February 1966,
    Los Angeles, California, USA (lung cancer)

Birth Name
    Joseph Frank Keaton

Nickname
    The Great Stone Face
    Malec

Height
    5' 5" (1.65 m)

Spouse
    Eleanor Keaton (28 July 1940 - 1 February 1966) (his death)
    Mae Elizabeth Scrivens (8 January 1933 - 4 October 1935) (divorced)
    Natalie Talmadge (31 May 1921 - 25 July 1932) (divorced) 2 children

Trade Mark

Pork pie hat, slapshoes, deadpan expression

His films contain elaborate gadgets of his own devising

Used the camera to help comedy, e.g to create effect of rocking boat in beginning of The Boat (1921).

Small and slight frame

Trivia
    Son of Joe Keaton and Myra Keaton.

Father, with Natalie Talmadge, of sons Buster Keaton Jr. and Bob Talmadge.

Older brother of Harry Keaton and Louise Keaton.

His older son was born during his marriage to Natalie Talmadge.

Unlike many silent movie stars, Buster was eager to go into sound considering he had a fine baritone voice with no speech impediments and years of stage experience, so dialogue was not a problem.

Interred at Forest Lawn (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, California, USA.

Pictured on one of ten 29¢ US commemorative postage stamps celebrating stars of the silent screen, issued 27 April 1994. Designed by caricaturist Al Hirschfeld, this set of stamps also honored Rudolph Valentino, Clara Bow, Charles Chaplin, Lon Chaney, John Gilbert, Zasu Pitts, Harold Lloyd, Theda Bara, and the Keystone Kops.

Fractured his neck while filming Sherlock Jr. (1924) and did not learn about it until a doctor saw X-rays of his neck during a routine physical examination many years later.

Died quietly at home, in his sleep, shortly after playing cards with his wife.

He was already quite ill with the cancer that would eventually kill him by the time he made his last completed film, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966). He used a stunt double in this film, as well as most of the films he made as an MGM contract player. Before signing with MGM in 1928, he had performed all of his own stunts, and even doubled for cast members in his own films, as in Sherlock Jr. (1924), where he played both himself, riding on the handlebars of a motorcycle, and the man who falls off the back of it.

His mother was of British/German heritage, and his father was of Scottish/Irish heritage.

Because most of his childhood was spent on vaudeville with his parents, he had few peers. However, he enjoyed a more regular childhood during his family's annual summer getaways to an Actor's Colony on Lake Michigan in Muskegon, Michigan. In fact, the city of Muskegon has erected a historical marker to note his stomping ground.

First married Mae Scriven in Mexico on 1 January 1932 before his divorce from Natalie Talmadge was final, then again legally in 1933.

He became an alcoholic when he his career collapsed around 1930, only kicking his habit and regaining his self-esteem when he married Eleanor Norris (Eleanor Keaton), his wife from 1940 until his death in 1966.

Was voted the 7th Greatest Director of all time by Entertainment Weekly, making him the highest rated comedy director. Charles Chaplin didn't make the list.

Biography in: John Wakeman, editor. "World Film Directors, Volume One, 1890-1945". Pages 523-531. New York: The H.W. Wilson Company, 1987.

He was voted the 35th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

When he married Natalie Talmadge, the Talmadge family was one of the great acting dynasties in both theater and film, and the gossip in Hollywood was that Keaton married her to gain respect in the industry, a rumor he never quite lived down during his peak. Ironically, Keaton is now a film legend, while most people would be hard-pressed to answer who the Talmadges are.

Not only did Keaton do all his own stunts, but, when needed, he acted as a stunt double for other actors in the films.

He often surrounded himself with tall and heavy-set actors in his films, typically as his antagonist, to make his character seem to be at as much of a physical disadvantage as possible. The similarly diminutive Charlie Chaplin (Charles Chaplin) also did this.

The three top comedians in silent era Hollywood were Keaton, Charlie Chaplin (Charles Chaplin) and Harold Lloyd. All three comics produced, controlled and owned their own films. Keaton was convinced to sell his studio and films to MGM in the 1920s, while Chaplin and Lloyd retained ownership of their films. Chaplin and Lloyd became wealthy, while Keaton endured years of financial and personal problems.

In one scene in Sherlock Jr. (1924), filmed at a train station, Keaton was hanging from a tube connected to a water basin. The water poured out and washed him on to the track, fracturing his neck. This footage appears in the released film.

Was named the 21st Greatest Actor on The 50 Greatest Screen Legends List by the American Film Institute

Was hearing-impaired since 1918, after serving in Germany fighting World War I.

Met Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle for the first time strolling down Broadway in New York City. Arbuckle was with Keaton's old vaudeville acquittance Lou Anger, who introduced them. Arbuckle immediately asked Keaton to visit the Colony Studio, where he was set to begin a series of comedies for Joseph M. Schenck. The famous comedy team was born.

Loved to play baseball. He would sometimes play baseball between takes on the movie set. Furthermore, for the annual Hollywood charity baseball game for Mount Sinai Hospital in the 1930s, he always lead the comedians' team and developed the comedy business on field with his writers.

Said he learned everything about movie-making and comedy from Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle.

The Navigator (1924) was his most successful movie by gross revenue.

There is much legend regarding the conception of his nickname, Buster. Many attribute the name to the legendary Harry Houdini, who was the partner of Joe Keaton (Buster's father) in the medicine-show group "Kathleen Marownen", after he saw a young Buster fall down a set of stairs without any injury. Others have said that it was Joe who conceived the name after he saw Buster's accident, while still others say that Joe Keaton fabricated the incident for a good story to tell on vaudeville. Which of these stories is actually true is unknown.

He and his parents formed an acrobatic group called "The Three Keatons" in his early youth.

Wanted to become an engineer as a child

His performance as Johnny Gray in The General (1926) is ranked #34 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).

His last film work was The Railrodder (1965), but because it was such a short film it was released before other movies, like A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966), which had completed filming before "The Railrodder".

Is mentioned in the song "Cinéma" by Paola Del Medico.

When he was three years old, he got his right index finger caught in a clothes wringer and it was crushed and had to be amputated at the first knuckle. The injury is most clearly visible in The Garage (1920), when Keaton steadies Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle's head with his right hand while wiping oil off his face with his left.

He died the same day as his The Slippery Pearls (1931), Speak Easily (1932) and Sunset Boulevard (1950) co-star Hedda Hopper.

In 1952 while remodeling his home, James Mason discovered several reels of Keaton's "lost" films (Mason had purchased Keaton's Hollywood mansion) and immediately recognized their historical significance. He took upon himself the responsibility for their preservation.

He is believed to be the first person to use "Buster" as a name, and popularized its usage ever after.

Keaton was one of the few actors who welcomed the advent of sound films. He knew his character didn't need dialog, but he looked forward to sound effects. "When somebody goes boom, they really go *boom*" he once said.

Keaton, Charles Chaplin and Stan Laurel all referred to their screen characters as "The Little Fellow".

A baseball fanatic, Keaton not only held games between takes, but also incorporated it into applications for employment. According to legend, two of the questions on the application he used to hire actors read "Are you a good actor?" and "Are you a good baseball player?" Anyone who answered "Yes" to either had a job with Keaton.

He appears in four of the American Film Institute's 100 Funniest Movies: The General (1926) at #18, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) at #40, Sherlock Jr. (1924) at #62 and The Navigator (1924) at #81.

Broke his ankle while filming The Electric House (1922) when he slipped on the escalator and was still recovering from it when he made The Play House (1921) in which his stunts were considered to be tamer than usual.

Ex-son-in-law of Margaret Talmadge.

Ex-brother-in-law of Norma Talmadge and Constance Talmadge.

On a whim, Keaton took crew member Ed Brophy and used him in a comedy role in "The Cameraman." That decision launched Brophy on his own notable comedy career.

Mini Biography
    When, at six months, he tumbled down a flight of stairs unharmed, he was given the name "Buster" by Harry Houdini who, along with W.C. Fields, Bill Robinson ("Bojangles"), Eddie Cantor and Al Jolson shared headlines with "The Three Keatons": Buster, his father Joe Keaton and mother Myra Keaton. Their act, one of the most dangerous in vaudeville, was about how to discipline a prankster child. Buster was thrown all over the stage and even into the audience. No matter what the stunt, he was poker-faced. By age 21, his father was so alcoholic the stunts became too dangerous to perform and the act dissolved. He first saw a movie studio in March 1917 and, on April 23, his debut film, Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle's The Butcher Boy (1917), was released. He stayed with Fatty through 15 two-reelers, even though he was offered much more to sign with Fox or Warner Bros. after returning from ten months with the U.S. Army (40th Infantry Division) in France. His first full-length feature, The Saphead (1920), established him as a star in his own right. By the middle of 1921, he had his own production company--Buster Keaton Productions--and was writing, directing and starring in his own films. With a small and close team around him, Keaton created some of the most beautiful and imaginative films of the silent era. The General (1926), his favorite, was one of the last films over which he had artistic control. In 1928, he reluctantly signed with MGM after his contract with independent producer Joseph M. Schenck expired. MGM quickly began to enforce their rigid, mechanized style of film-making on Keaton, swamping him with gag-writers and scripts. He fought against it for a time, and the compromise was initially fruitful, his first film for MGM - The Cameraman (1928) - being one of his finest. But with his creativity becoming increasingly stifled, he began to drink excessively, despondent at having to perform material that was beneath him. Ironically, his films around 1930 were his most successful to date in terms of box-office, which confirmed to MGM that their formula was right. His drinking led to a disregard for schedules and erratic behavior on the MGM lot, and a disastrous confrontation with Louis B. Mayer resulted in him being fired. The diplomatic producer 'Irving Thalberg' attempted to smooth things over but Keaton was past caring. By 1932, he was a divorced alcoholic, getting work where he could, mostly in short comedies. In 1935, he entered a mental hospital. MGM rehired him in 1937 as a $100-a-week gag-man (his salary ten years before was more than ten times this amount). The occasional film was a boost to this steady income. In 1947, his career rebounded with a live appearance at Cirque Medrano in Paris. In 1952, James Mason, who then owned Keaton's Hollywood mansion, found a secret store of presumably lost nitrate stock of many of Buster's early films; film historian and archivist Raymond Rohauer began a serious collection/preservation of Buster's work. In 1957, Buster appeared with Charles Chaplin in Limelight (1952) and his film biography, The Buster Keaton Story (1957), was released. Two years later, he received a special Oscar for his life work in comedy, and he began to receive the accolades he so richly deserved, with festivals around the world honoring his work. He died in 1966, age 70.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Ed Stephan

Personal Quotes
    No man can be a genius in slapshoes and a flat hat.

Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.

I gotta do some sad scenes. Why, I never tried to make anybody cry in my life! And I go 'round all the time dolled up in kippie clothes-wear everything but a corset . . . can't stub my toe in this picture nor anything! Just imagine having to play-act all the time without ever getting hit with anything!

[when told to cheer up at an MGM film premiere, the reporter asked, 'Are you happy to be here?'] Of course, I got off location for this!

What used to get my goat at MGM were comedians like The Marx Brothers or Abbott and Costello who never worried about the script or the next scene. My God, we ate, slept and dreamed our pictures.

Is Hollywood the cruelest city in the world? Well, it can be. New York can be like that, too. You can be a Broadway star here one night, and something happens, and then you're out - nobody knows you on the street. They forget you ever lived. It happens in Hollywood, too.

The first thing I did in the studio was to want to tear that camera to pieces. I had to know how that film got into the cutting room, what you did to it in there, how you projected it, how you finally got the picture together, how you made things match. The technical part of pictures is what interested me. Material was the last thing in the world I thought about. You only had to turn me loose on the set and I'd have material in two minutes, because I'd been doing it all my life.

They say pantomime's a lost art. It's never been a lost art and never will be, because it's too natural to do.

[on his time working as an uncredited gag writer for The Marx Brothers at MGM] It was an event when you could get all three of them on the set at the same time. The minute you started a picture with the Marx brothers you hired three assistant directors, one for each Marx brother. You had two of 'em while you went to look for the third one and the first two would disappear.

Think slow, act fast.

Silence is of the gods; only monkeys chatter.

[on the differences between his and Charles Chaplin's characters] Charlie's tramp was a bum with a bum's philosophy. Lovable as he was, he would steal if he got the chance. My little fellow was a working man and honest.

All my life I have been happiest when the folks watching me said to each other, "Look at the poor dope, will ya?"

Not long ago a friend asked me what was the greatest pleasure I got from spending my whole life as an actor. There have been so many that I had to think about that for a moment. Then I said, "Like everyone else, I like to be with a happy crowd."

Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public.

I've had few dull moments [in my life] and not too many sad and defeated ones. In saying this I am by no means overlooking the rough and rocky years I've lived through. But I was not brought up thinking life would be easy. I always expected to work hard for my money and to get nothing I did not earn. And the bad years, it seems to me, were so few that only a dyed-in-the-wool grouch who enjoys feeling sorry for himself would complain.

Only things that one could imagine happening to real people, I guess, remain in a person's memory.

When I've got a gag that spreads out, I hate to jump a camera into close-ups. So I do everything in the world I can to hold it in that long-shot and keep the action rolling. Close-ups are too jarring on the screen, and this type of cut can stop an audience from laughing.

Half of our scenes, for God's sakes, we only just talked over. We didn't actually get out there and rehearse 'em. We would just walk through it and talk about it. We crank that first rehearsal. Because any thing can happen - and generally did... We used the rehearsal scenes instead of the second take.

[on the advent of sound in the movies] In every picture it got tougher. They'd laugh their heads off at dialogue written by all your new writers. They were joke-happy. They didn't look for action; they were looking for funny things to say.

I always want the audience to out-guess me, and then I double-cross them.

A comedian does funny things. A good comedian does things funny.

[on why he did all his own stunts] Stuntmen don't get laughs.

Salary
    Le roi des Champs-Élysées (1934) $15,000
    Palooka from Paducah (1935) $2,500
    One Run Elmer (1935) $2,500
    Hayseed Romance (1935) $2,500
    Tars and Stripes (1935) $2,500
    The E-Flat Man (1935) $2,500
    The Timid Young Man (1935) $2,500
    Three on a Limb (1936) $2,500
    Grand Slam Opera (1936) $2,500
    Blue Blazes (1936) $2,500
    The Chemist (1936) $2,500
    Mixed Magic (1936) $2,500
    Jail Bait (1937) $2,500
    Ditto (1937) $2,500
    Love Nest on Wheels (1937) $2,500
    Sunset Boulevard (1950) $1,000

Filmography
    Actor
    1966 A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum...Erronius
    1966 The Scribe (short)...Journalist
    1965 Due marines e un generale...Gen. von Kassler
    1965 Film (short)...The Man
    1965 Sergeant Dead Head...Airman Blinken
    1965 How to Stuff a Wild Bikini...Bwana
    1965 The Railrodder (short)...The Man
    1965 Beach Blanket Bingo...Buster
    1958-1965 The Donna Reed Show (TV series)
    Charlie / Mr. Turner
    – Now You See It, Now You Don't (1965) … Mr. Turner
    – A Very Merry Christmas (1958) … Charlie
    1965 The Man Who Bought Paradise (TV movie)...Mr. Bloor
    1964 Pajama Party...Chief Rotten Eagle
    1964 Burke's Law (TV series)– Who Killed 1/2 of Glory Lee? (1964) … Mortimer Lovely
    1964 The Greatest Show on Earth (TV series)– You're All Right, Ivy (1964) … Pippo
    1963 It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World...Jimmy the Crook
    1963 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (TV series)– Think Mink (1963) … Si Willis
    1963 The Triumph of Lester Snapwell (short)...Lester Snapwell
    1962 Route 66 (TV series)– Journey to Nineveh (1962) … Jonah Butler
    1962 Es darf gelacht werden (TV series)– Matrosen ahoi (1962) … Guest in Studio
    1962 Ten Girls Ago (TV movie)...Gaspar Dan
    1962 Medicine Man (TV movie)...Junior
    1961 The Twilight Zone (TV series)– Once Upon a Time (1961) … Woodrow Mulligan
    1960 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...Lion Tamer
    1960 Sunday Showcase (TV series)– After Hours (1960)
    1958 The Adventures of Mr. Pastry (TV movie)...Professor
    1958 Playhouse 90 (TV series)
    Charles Blackburn / Harrison
    – The Innocent Sleep (1958) … Charles Blackburn
    – No Time at All (1958) … Harrison
    1958 You Asked for It (TV series)– Episode dated 16 February 1958 (1958) … The baker
    1956 Around the World in Eighty Days...Train Conductor - San Francisoc to Fort Kearney
    1956 Producers' Showcase (TV series)– The Lord Don't Play Favorites (1956)
    1956 Lux Video Theatre (TV series)– The Night of January Sixteenth (1956) … Member of the Jury
    1955 Screen Directors Playhouse (TV series)– The Silent Partner (1955) … Kelsey Dutton
    1955 The Eddie Cantor Comedy Theater (TV series)– Strange Little Stranger (1955) … Agent
    1954 The Best of Broadway (TV series)– The Man Who Came to Dinner (1954) … Dr. Bradley
    1954 Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Presents (TV series)– The Awakening (1954) … The Man
    1953 L'incantevole nemica
    1952 Limelight...Calvero's Partner
    1952 Un duel à mort (short)...Le premier pêcheur
    1952 Paradise for Buster (short)...Buster
    1951 Life with Buster Keaton (TV series)...BK
    1950 Sunset Boulevard...Buster Keaton
    1950 The Misadventures of Buster Keaton...Buster
    1950 The Buster Keaton Show (TV series)
    Buster Keaton / Buster 'B.K.' Keaton
    – Buster in the Jungle … Buster Keaton
    – Buster in Training … Buster 'B.K.' Keaton
    – Gone Fishing … Buster Keaton
    1949 In the Good Old Summertime...Hickey
    1949 You're My Everything...Butler
    1949 The Lovable Cheat...Goulard
    1949 El Colmillo de Buda...Moe
    1946 El moderno Barba Azul
    1946 God's Country...Old Tarp/Mr. Boone
    1945 She Went to the Races...Bellboy (uncredited)
    1945 That Night with You...Sam - Short Order Cook
    1945 That's the Spirit...L.M.
    1944 San Diego I Love You...Bus Driver
    1943 Forever and a Day...Wilkins
    1941 She's Oil Mine (short)...Buster Waters, plumber
    1941 General Nuisance (short)...Peter Hedley Lamar Jr.
    1941 So You Won't Squawk (short)...Eddie
    1940 His Ex Marks the Spot (short)...Buster - the husband
    1940 Trouble Chaser...Lonesome Polecat
    1940 The Villain Still Pursued Her...William Dalton
    1940 The Spook Speaks (short)...Buster
    1940 The Taming of the Snood (short)...Buster Keaton
    1940 New Moon...Prisoner - 'LuLu' (uncredited)
    1940 Pardon My Berth Marks (short)...Elmer - Newspaper Copyboy
    1940 Nothing But Pleasure (short)...Clarence Plunkett
    1939 Hollywood Cavalcade...Buster Keaton
    1939 Mooching Through Georgia (short)...Homer Cobb
    1939 Pest from the West (short)...Sir
    1937 Love Nest on Wheels (short)...Elmer
    1937 Ditto (short)...The Forgotten Man
    1937 Jail Bait (short)
    1936 Mixed Magic (short)...Elmer 'Happy' Butterworth
    1936 The Chemist (short)...Elmer Triple
    1936 Blue Blazes (short)...Elmer Whipple
    1936 Grand Slam Opera (short)...Elmer Butts
    1936 Three on a Limb (short)...Elmer Brown
    1936 The Invader...Leander Proudfoot
    1935 The Timid Young Man (short)...Milton
    1935 The E-Flat Man (short)...Elmer
    1935 Tars and Stripes (short)...Apprentice Seaman Elmer Doolittle
    1935 Hayseed Romance (short)...Elmer Dolittle
    1935 One Run Elmer (short)...Elmer
    1935 Palooka from Paducah (short)...Jim Diltz
    1934 Le roi des Champs-Élysées...Buster Garner/Jim le Balafré
    1934 Allez Oop (short)...Elmer
    1934 The Gold Ghost (short)...Wally
    1933 Hollywood on Parade No. A-13 (short)...Orchestra Leader/Himself
    1933 What-No Beer?...Elmer J. Butts
    1932 Le plombier amoureux...Elmer Tuttle
    1932 Speak Easily...Professor Post
    1932 The Passionate Plumber...Elmer
    1931 Buster se marie...Reggie
    1931 Casanova wider Willen...Reggie Irving
    1931 Sidewalks of New York...Harmon
    1931 The Slippery Pearls (short)...Policeman
    1931 Romeo in Pyjamas...Reginald Irving
    1930 De frente, marchen...Canuto de la Montera
    1930 Forward March...Elmer
    1930 Estrellados...Canuto Cuadratin
    1930 Free and Easy...Elmer J. Butts
    1930 The March of Time...Caveman
    1929 Spite Marriage...Elmer
    1928 Brotherly Love...Barber (uncredited)
    1928 The Cameraman...Buster
    1928 Steamboat Bill, Jr....William Canfield Jr.
    1927 College...A Son
    1926 The General...Johnnie Gray
    1926 Battling Butler...Alfred Butler
    1925 Go West...Friendless
    1925 The Iron Mule (short)...Indian (uncredited)
    1925 Seven Chances...James Shannon
    1924 The Navigator...Rollo Treadway
    1924 Sherlock Jr....Projectionist / Sherlock, Jr.
    1923 Our Hospitality...Willie McKay - 21 Years Old
    1923 Three Ages...The Boy
    1923 The Love Nest (short)...Buster Keaton
    1923 The Balloonatic (short)...The Young Man (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 Day Dreams (short)...The Young Man
    1922 The Electric House (short)...Buster (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Frozen North (short)...The Bad Man
    1922 The Blacksmith (short)...Blacksmith's Assistant (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 My Wife's Relations (short)...The Husband
    1922 Cops (short)...The Young Man (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Paleface (short)...Little Chief Paleface
    1921 The Boat (short)...The Boat Builder (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Play House (short)...Audience/Orchestra/Mr. Brown - First Minstrel/Second Minstrel/Stagehand (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Goat (short)...The Goat
    1921 The 'High Sign' (short)...Our Hero (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 Hard Luck (short)...Suicidal Boy
    1921 The Haunted House (short)...Bank Clerk
    1920 The Scarecrow (short)...Farmhand (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1920 Neighbors (short)...The Boy
    1920 Convict 13 (short)...Golfer Turned Prisoner, Guard
    1920 The Round-Up...Indian (uncredited)
    1920 The Saphead...Bertie Van Alstyne
    1920 One Week (short)...The Groom
    1920 The Garage (short)...Buster - The Assistant
    1919 The Hayseed (short)...Manager, general store
    1919 Back Stage (short)...Stagehand
    1918 The Cook (short)...Assistant Chef
    1918 Good Night, Nurse! (short)...Dr. Hampton/woman with umbrella
    1918 Moonshine (short)...Revenue Agent
    1918 The Bell Boy (short)...Bellboy
    1918 Out West (short)...Sheriff, saloon owner
    1917 A Country Hero (short)...Vaudeville Artist
    1917 Coney Island (short)...Rival/Cop with Moustache (uncredited)
    1917 Oh Doctor! (short)...Junior Holepoke
    1917 His Wedding Night (short)...Delivery Boy
    1917 The Rough House (short)...Gardener/Delivery Boy/Cop
    1917 The Butcher Boy (short)...Buster

Writer
    1965 The Railrodder (short) (uncredited)
    1951-1952 The Red Skelton Show (TV series)
    – Father's Day Show (1952) (uncredited)
    – Episode #1.37 (1952) (uncredited)
    – Episode #1.36 (1952) (uncredited)
    – Episode #1.35 (1952) (uncredited)
    – The Railroad Station (1952) (uncredited)
    all 36 episodes »
    1952 Un duel à mort (short) (screenplay - uncredited)
    1951 Excuse My Dust (uncredited)
    1949 In the Good Old Summertime (uncredited)
    1948 My Hero (uncredited)
    1947 The Rich Full Life (uncredited)
    1946 Easy to Wed (uncredited)
    1945 She Went to the Races (uncredited)
    1942 Tales of Manhattan (uncredited)
    1940 Marx Brothers Go West (uncredited)
    1939 At the Circus (uncredited)
    1939 Quick Millions (story)
    1939 Mooching Through Georgia (short) (uncredited)
    1939 Pest from the West (short) (uncredited)
    1939 The Jones Family in Hollywood (story)
    1938 Too Hot to Handle (uncredited)
    1936 Grand Slam Opera (short)
    1935 A Night at the Opera (uncredited)
    1926 The General (written by)
    1925 Go West (written by)
    1923 Three Ages (uncredited)
    1923 The Love Nest (short) (writer)
    1923 The Balloonatic (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 Day Dreams (short)
    1922 The Electric House (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Frozen North (short) (written by)
    1922 The Blacksmith (short) (written by)
    1922 My Wife's Relations (short)
    1922 Cops (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Paleface (short)
    1921 The Boat (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Play House (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Goat (short)
    1921 The 'High Sign' (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 Hard Luck (short)
    1921 The Haunted House (short) (written by)
    1920 The Scarecrow (short) (written by / as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1920 Neighbors (short) (screenplay / story)
    1920 Convict 13 (short)
    1920 One Week (short) (written by - uncredited)
    1917 The Rough House (short)

Director
    1965 The Railrodder (short) (uncredited)
    1951 Excuse My Dust (uncredited)
    1949 In the Good Old Summertime (uncredited)
    1946 Easy to Wed (uncredited)
    1939 Hollywood Cavalcade (uncredited)
    1938 Streamlined Swing (short)
    1938 Hollywood Handicap (short)
    1938 Life in Sometown, U.S.A. (short)
    1937 Love Nest on Wheels (short)
    1936 Mixed Magic (short)
    1936 Blue Blazes (short) (uncredited)
    1936 Grand Slam Opera (short)
    1934 Allez Oop (short)
    1934 The Gold Ghost (short)
    1929 Spite Marriage (uncredited)
    1928 The Cameraman (uncredited)
    1928 Steamboat Bill, Jr. (uncredited)
    1927 College (uncredited)
    1926 The General
    1926 Battling Butler
    1925 Go West
    1925 Seven Chances
    1924 The Navigator
    1924 Sherlock Jr.
    1923 Our Hospitality
    1923 Three Ages
    1923 The Love Nest (short)
    1923 The Balloonatic (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 Day Dreams (short)
    1922 The Electric House (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Frozen North (short)
    1922 The Blacksmith (short)
    1922 My Wife's Relations (short)
    1922 Cops (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1922 The Paleface (short)
    1921 The Boat (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Play House (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 The Goat (short)
    1921 The 'High Sign' (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1921 Hard Luck (short)
    1921 The Haunted House (short)
    1920 Neighbors (short)
    1920 The Scarecrow (short) (as 'Buster' Keaton)
    1920 Convict 13 (short)
    1920 One Week (short)
    1917 The Rough House (short)

Producer
    1932 Speak Easily (producer - uncredited)
    1931 Buster se marie (producer)
    1931 Casanova wider Willen (producer)
    1931 Romeo in Pyjamas (producer)
    1930 Estrellados (producer)
    1930 Free and Easy (producer - uncredited)
    1929 Spite Marriage (producer - uncredited)
    1928 The Cameraman (producer - uncredited)
    1926 The General (producer - uncredited)
    1926 Battling Butler (producer - uncredited)
    1925 Go West (producer)
    1925 Seven Chances (producer - uncredited)
    1924 The Navigator (producer - uncredited)
    1924 Sherlock Jr. (producer - uncredited)
    1923 Three Ages (producer - uncredited)

Watch This Clip

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Joseph Frank "Buster" Keaton was an American comic actor, filmmaker, producer and writer.
    He was best known for his silent films, in which his trademark was physical comedy with a
    consistently stoic, deadpan expression, earning him the nickname "The Great Stone Face".

Buster Keaton (his lifelong stage name) was recognized as the seventh-greatest director
    of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
    In 1999, the American Film Institute ranked Keaton the 21st-greatest male star of all time.
    Critic Roger Ebert wrote of Keaton's "extraordinary period from 1920 to 1929,
    [when] he worked without interruption on a series of films that make him, arguably,
    the greatest actor-director in the history of the movies."

His career declined afterward with a dispiriting loss of his artistic independence
    when he hired on to MGM which fueled a crippling alcoholism that ruined his family life.
    However, he later recovered in the 1940s, remarried and successfully revived
    his career to a degree as an honored comic performer for the rest of his life,
    earning plaudits like an Academy Honorary Award in 1958.

Orson Welles stated that Keaton's The General is "the greatest comedy ever made,
    the greatest Civil War film ever made, and perhaps the greatest film ever made."

A 2002 worldwide poll by Sight & Sound ranked Keaton's The General
    as the 15th best film of all time.
    Three other Keaton films received votes
    in the magazine's survey: Our Hospitality, Sherlock, Jr., and The Navigator.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England