Mary Pickford

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,694 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• MARY PICKFORD

Information from IMDb

Date of Birth
    8 April 1892,
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date of Death
    29 May 1979,
    Santa Monica, California, USA (cerebral hemorrhage)

Birth Name
    Gladys Marie Smith

Nickname
    Baby Gladys
    "The Girl with the Golden Hair"
    "The Glad Girl"
    America's Sweetheart (abroad, The World's Sweetheart)
    Little Mary

Height
    5' 0½" (1.54 m)

Spouse
    Charles 'Buddy' Rogers (26 June 1937 - 29 May 1979) (her death) 2 children
    Douglas Fairbanks (28 March 1920 - 10 January 1936) (divorced)
    Owen Moore (7 January 1911 - 2 March 1920) (divorced)

Trivia
    She had intended to have all of her films destroyed after her death, fearing that no one would care about them. She was convinced not to do this.

One of the 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).

Arguably the silent era's most renowned female star. Film historian Ethan Katz goes so far as to call her "the most popular star in screen history".

Sister of actor/director Jack Pickford.

Sister of screen/stage actress Lottie Pickford.

In same stage company as Lillian Gish and Dorothy Gish in early 1900s.

Step-mother to Douglas Fairbanks Jr..

Her mansion Pickfair was sold ten months after her death for $5,362,000; later sold to Pia Zadora in January 1988 for just under $7 million.

Had cousins from Port Dalhousie, Ontario, who owned a hot dog stand on the local beach. She would sometimes help them on her summer visits during World War I by serving customers.

Stage producer David Belasco gave Mary her stage name in 1908. Her real name, Gladys Marie Smith, wasn't right for an actress on his stage. "Gladys" didn't suit the diminutive actress, "Smith" was too common, "Marie" was too foreign. "Marie" became "Mary". "Pickford" was her mother's maiden name. Years later, a fan who traced her family tree found that the name "Mary Pickford" occurred several times in her mother's family going back to the 12th century,

Formed United Artists company with Douglas Fairbanks, D.W. Griffith, and Charles Chaplin. First artist to have her name in marquee lights. The first international star.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, USA, in the Garden of Memory. (Not accessible to the general public).

Half English, half Irish.

Sister-in-law of Robert Fairbanks.

Sister-in-law of Tom Moore and Matt Moore.

Turned down the role of Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard (1950).

Daughter of actress Charlotte Smith.

Became a US citizen on her marriage to Douglas Fairbanks, but later reclaimed her Canadian citizenship and died a dual US/Canadian citizen.

She was the first movie actress to receive a percentage of a film's earnings

Sister-in-law of Joe Moore, aunt of Alice Moore.

Son Ronnie has two children, daughter Jamie (born 1954) and son Tommy (b. 1955). Daughter Roxanne gave birth to a daughter, Katina, in the early 1960s.

She left her children $50,000 and her grandchildren trust funds.

Was the subject of the first cinematic close up shot, in 1912's Friends (1912).

Second cousin of John Mantley.

First star (along with husband Douglas Fairbanks) to officially place hand and footprints in the cement at Grauman's Chinese Theatre (April 30, 1927). Hollywood legend has it that the very first star to do so, unofficially, thus inspiring the ensuing tradition, was Norma Talmadge when she accidentally walked onto the wet cement prior to the official opening of the Theatre

Was named #24 on The American Film Institute 50 Greatest Screen Legends

Is portrayed by Maria Pitillo in Chaplin (1992)

The house in which she lived in Hollywood for most of her life was nicknamed "Pickfair".

Ernst Lubitsch came to America at Mary's invitation to direct Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall (1924), but when he arrived he had changed his mind and wouldn't do it (it was eventually directed by Marshall Neilan). Instead, he and Mary made Rosita (1923) together.

Coquette (1929) was her first talkie.

Her likeness is included as part of the "Canadians in Hollywood" stamp series released by CanadaPost in 2006. The others in the series were Fay Wray, Lorne Greene and John Candy.

Her first starring appearance in a film was in Her First Biscuits (1909) for Biograph.

She was first hired for the movies by director D.W. Griffith.

Was to have made her big-screen comeback as Vinnie in Life with Father (1947), but the role eventually went to Irene Dunne because of Dunne's box-office appeal.

Her last silent movie was My Best Girl (1927).

Was Joan Crawford's mother-in-law, while Crawford was married to Pickford's son, Douglas Fairbanks Jr..

In October 1911, a court voided her contract with IMP because she was a minor when she signed it. As a result, she left IMP for the Majestic Company for $275/week.

In December 1910 she left the Biograph Company to work for Carl Laemmle at Independent Moving Picture Company for $175 a week.

She and husband Douglas Fairbanks were friends of Edsel Ford (son of Henry Ford) and his wife. In the Edsel & Eleanor Ford home at 1100 Lake Shore Rd., Grosse Point Shores, MI there hangs in the study an autographed photo of her signed "Mary Pick-A-Ford", c. 1932.

When she presented producer Cecil B. DeMille with the Best Picture Oscar for The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) (March 19, 1953), not only was it the first time the Academy Awards ceremonies had ever been televised, it was also her very first television appearance.

She became estranged from daughter Roxanne for a time when she, at age eighteen, ran off to marry a man her parents did not approve of.

She paid for her grandchildren to go to school, provided that they showed proof that they were registered.

She started her film career at Biograph Company (American Mutoscope & Biograph) in 1909, when Biograph's director D.W. Griffith hired her. Her first film was Biograph's Pippa Passes; or, The Song of Conscience (1909), though she only was a face in the crowd. However, this launched her long and illustrious film career.

Inducted to Canada's Walk of Fame in 1999.

Founder/President of Mary Pickford Co., a production company formed in 1919, and the Mary Pickford Film Corp., formed in 1916. The former produced films only for Pickford, the latter company produced non-Pickford films.

Had two adopted children with her 3rd husband Charles 'Buddy' Rogers - a son named Ronald Charles Rogers (b.1937) and a daughter named Roxanne Rogers (b.1944-d.2007 from osteoporosis).

The character Edna Strickland changes her name to Mary Pickford in Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 5, Outatime (2011) (VG).

Was a founding member of The Society of Independent Motion Picture Producers (SIMPP).

She was a conservative Republican.

Singer Katie Melua wrote a song in homage to Pickford, with her name as the title, which was featured on her 2007 album "Pictures".

Mini Biography
    Destined to become America's first sweetheart, Mary Pickford was born Gladys Marie Smith on April 8, 1892, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Acting would become second nature to little Mary. Her parents were actors and it was only natural that she would follow in their footsteps. Her mother wasted no time in introducing her to the stage, and she appeared in one production at the age of six. After numerous stage plays, Mary entered the film world and immortality. At the age of 16 she starred as Dorothy Nicholson in Mrs. Jones Entertains (1909). The next year was a busy one for her. In the early days of filmmaking it wasn't at all uncommon for performers to churn out several films per year, often working on more than one at a time. In 1909, Mary appeared in 51 films - almost one a week! She had joined the 'American Mutoscope & Biograph [us]' under the direction of D.W. Griffith. Griffith, from Crestwood, Kentucky, and some of his films with Mary reflected his home state such as In Old Kentucky (1909), In the Border States (1910) and A Feud in the Kentucky Hills (1912). If the 1909 season was busy for her, the following year was no less hectic, with Mary putting in work on 49 films. In 1911 she left Biograph to work with Carl Laemmle, but returned to Griffith the next year, in which she put out only 27 films, as opposed to the 48 she did in 1911. By now Mary was 20 and had appeared in 176 films; most performers today couldn't boast that kind of work record for their entire career. By 1913 Mary had cut back her grueling schedule drastically, with only four movies in 1913, but she was by no means idle; she was now writing and producing films. In 1920, she was in only two films - Suds (1920) and Pollyanna (1920) - but, more importantly, she helped to establish United Artists Pictures, a studio that was responsible for many great films for the next 60-plus years before being bought by MGM. Mary was more than an actress; she was a tough, savvy businesswoman with, and was proud of the fact that she knew what worked for her and what didn't. On top of all that, she was one of 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Finally, at 43, Mary made her last film, Star Night at the Cocoanut Grove (1934), and then retired from films for a well-deserved rest. Her career lasted from 1908 to 1935, encompassing 236 films. Without a doubt, Mary Pickford was the most popular star in the silent era, if not of all time. She was awarded an Oscar for Lifetime Achievement in 1976, from the very organization she had started years earlier. On May 29, 1979, she died of a cerebral hemorrhage in Santa Monica, California. She was 87 years old.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Denny Jackson

Personal Quotes
    We were pioneers in a brand-new medium. Everything's fun when you're young.

I'm sick of Cinderella parts, of wearing rags and tatters. I want to wear smart clothes and play the lover.

We maniacs had fun and made good pictures and a lot of money. In the early years United Artists was a private golf club for the four of us.

If you have made mistakes . . . and there is always another chance for you. . . . you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down but the staying down.

I never liked one of my pictures in its entirety.

[at her retirement] I'm not exactly satisfied, but I'm grateful.

Make them laugh, make them cry, and back to laughter. What do people want to go to the theatre for? An emotional exercise . . . I am a servant of the people. I have never forgotten that.

Adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the Venus de Milo.

[on Douglas Fairbanks] A little boy who never grew up.

[on Charles Chaplin] That obstinate, suspicious, egocentric, maddening and lovable genius of a problem child.

[on Douglas Fairbanks] In his private life Douglas always faced a situation in the only way he knew, by running away from it.

[on Ernst Lubitsch] I parted company with him as soon as I could. I thought him a very uninspired director. He was a director of doors.

[on success] This thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

I will not allow one picture to be shown: Rosita (1923). Oh, I detested that picture! i disliked the director, Ernst Lubitsch, as much as he disliked me. We didn't show it, of course, but it was a very unhappy and very costly experience.

[In her old age] I saw Hollywood born and I've seen it die . . .

I left the screen because I didn't want what happened to Chaplin [Charles Chaplin] to happen to me ... The little girl made me. I wasn't waiting for the little girl to kill me. I'd already been pigeonholed. I know I'm an artist, and that's not being arrogant, because talent comes from God ... My career was planned, there was never anything accidental about it. It was planned, it was painful, it was purposeful. I'm not exactly satisfied, but I'm grateful.

Salary
    A Gold Necklace (1910) $175/week
    The Courting of Mary (1911) $275/week
    Caprice (1913) $500/week
    Rags (1915) $4,000/week
    Less Than the Dust (1916) $10,000/week + 50% of profits
    The Poor Little Rich Girl (1917) $10,000/week
    A Romance of the Redwoods (1917) $96,667
    The Little American (1917) $68,666.66
    Stella Maris (1918) $250,000
    Daddy-Long-Legs (1919) $350,000
    The Ragamuffin (1919) $350,000
    Heart o' the Hills (1919) $350,000

Filmography
    Actress
    1933 Secrets...Mary Marlowe / Mary Carlton
    1931 Kiki...Kiki
    1930 Screen Snapshots Series 10, No. 5 (short)...Mary Pickford
    1930 Forever Yours
    1929 The Taming of the Shrew...Katherine
    1929 Coquette...Norma Besant
    1927 The Gaucho...Virgin Mary (uncredited)
    1927 My Best Girl...Maggie Johnson
    1926 Human Sparrows...Molly
    1926 The Black Pirate...Princess Isobel in Final Embrace - Cameo Appearance (uncredited)
    1925 Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ...Chariot Race Spectator (uncredited)
    1925 Little Annie Rooney...Little Annie Rooney
    1924 Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall...Dorothy Vernon
    1923 Rosita...Rosita, a street singer
    1922 Tess of the Storm Country...Tessibel 'Tess' Skinner
    1921 Little Lord Fauntleroy...Cedric Errol / Widow Errol
    1921 Through the Back Door...Jeanne
    1921 The Love Light...Angela Carlotti
    1920 Suds...Amanda Afflick
    1920 Pollyanna...Pollyanna Whittier
    1919 Heart o' the Hills...Mavis Hawn
    1919 The Ragamuffin...Amy Burke
    1919 Daddy-Long-Legs...Judy Abbott
    1919 Captain Kidd, Jr....Mary MacTavish
    1918 One Hundred Percent American (short)...Mayme
    1918 Johanna Enlists...Johanna Renssaller
    1918 How Could You, Jean?...Jean Mackaye
    1918 M'Liss...Melissa 'M'liss' Smith
    1918 Amarilly of Clothes-Line Alley...Amarilly Jenkins
    1918 Stella Maris...Miss Stella Maris/Unity Blake
    1917 The Little Princess...Sara Crewe
    1917 Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm...Rebecca Randall
    1917 The Little American...Angela Moore
    1917 A Romance of the Redwoods...Jenny Lawrence
    1917 The Poor Little Rich Girl...Gwendolyn 'Gwen'
    1917 The Pride of the Clan...Marget MacTavish
    1917 All-Star Production of Patriotic Episodes for the Second Liberty Loan
    1916 Less Than the Dust...Radha
    1916 The Eternal Grind...Louise
    1916 Hulda from Holland...Hulda
    1916 Poor Little Peppina...Peppina
    1916 The Foundling...Molly O
    1915 Madame Butterfly...Cho-Cho-San
    1915 A Girl of Yesterday...Jane Stuart
    1915 Esmeralda (short)...Esmeralda Rogers
    1915 Rags...Rags/Alice McCloud
    1915 Little Pal...'Little Pal'
    1915 The Dawn of a Tomorrow...Glad
    1915 Fanchon, the Cricket...Fanchon, the cricket
    1915 Love's Reflection (short)
    1915 Mistress Nell...Nell Gwyn
    1915 Broken Hearts
    1915 The Foundling...Molly O
    1914 Cinderella...Cinderella
    1914 Behind the Scenes...Dolly Lane
    1914 Such a Little Queen...Queen Anna Victoria
    1914 The Eagle's Mate...Anemone Breckenridge
    1914 Tess of the Storm Country...Tessibel Skinner
    1914 A Good Little Devil...Juliet
    1914 Hearts Adrift...Nina
    1913 Caprice...Mercy Baxter
    1913 In the Bishop's Carriage...Nance Olden
    1913 Fate (short)
    1913 The Unwelcome Guest (short)...Jessie - the Slavey
    1912 The New York Hat (short)...Miss Mollie Goodhue (the girl)
    1912 The Informer (short)...The Confederate Captain's Sweetheart
    1912 My Baby (short)...The Wife
    1912 The One She Loved (short)...The Wife
    1912 A Feud in the Kentucky Hills (short)...The Daughter
    1912 So Near, Yet So Far (short)...The Young Woman
    1912 Friends (short)...Dora - the Orphan
    1912 A Pueblo Legend (short)...The Indian Girl
    1912 A Pueblo Romance
    1912 With the Enemy's Help (short)...Faro Kate
    1912 The Inner Circle (short)...The Rich Italian's Daughter
    1912 A Child's Remorse (short)
    1912 The Narrow Road (short)...Mrs. Jim Holcomb
    1912 An Indian Summer (short)...The Widow's Daughter
    1912 The School Teacher and the Waif (short)...Nora, the Waif
    1912 Lena and the Geese (short)...Lena
    1912 Home Folks (short)...The Young Woman
    1912 A Beast at Bay (short)...The Young Woman
    1912 A Lodging for the Night (short)...The Mexican Girl
    1912 The Old Actor (short)...The Old Actor's Daughter
    1912 Won by a Fish (short)...The Woman
    1912 Just Like a Woman (short)...The Young Woman
    1912 The Female of the Species (short)...The Miner's Wife's Sister
    1912 Fate's Interception (short)...The Mexican Girl
    1912 Iola's Promise (short)...Iola
    1912 A Timely Repentance (short)...Mrs. Nordell - Heroine of the Movie within the Movie, 'The Wife's Desertion'
    1912 A Siren of Impulse (short)
    1912 The Mender of Nets (short)...The Net-Mender
    1912 Honor Thy Father (short)...Mary Fuller
    1912 Grannie
    1911 The Caddy's Dream (short)
    1911 The Portrait (short)...Little Vera - the Model
    1911 Little Red Riding Hood (short)...Little Red Riding Hood
    1911 Love Heeds Not Showers (short)...Mary
    1911 The Courting of Mary (short)...Mary
    1911 From the Bottom of the Sea (short)...Undetermined Role (unconfirmed)
    1911 His Dress Shirt (short)...Mrs. Kirby
    1911 The Better Way (short)...Lillian Garvey - a Salvation Army Lass
    1911 The Sentinel Asleep (short)
    1911 'Tween Two Loves (short)...Grace
    1911 By the House That Jack Built (short)...Undetermined Leading Role
    1911 The Toss of a Coin (short)...Alice Barton - the Farmer's Daughter
    1911 The Call of the Song (short)...Amy Gordon
    1911 The Skating Bug (short)
    1911 At a Quarter of Two (short)...Mrs. Warren
    1911 A Gasoline Engagement (short)...Flora Powell
    1911 For the Queen's Honor (short)...Princess Gilda
    1911 In the Sultan's Garden (short)...Haidee
    1911 Behind the Stockade (short)...Lucy
    1911 Back to the Soil (short)...Sadie Allen
    1911 The Lighthouse Keeper (short)...Polly Berry - the Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter
    1911 The Master and the Man (short)...Elsie Graham
    1911 For Her Brother's Sake (short)...Madge Spotwood
    1911 The Fair Dentist (short)..Edith Morton - The Fair Dentist
    1911 The Temptress (short)
    1911 Second Sight (short)...Gertrude Edgar
    1911 As a Boy Dreams (short)...Mary - the Captain's Daughter
    1911 The Stampede (short)...Nello - The Bandit's Daughter
    1911 Sweet Memories (short)...Polly Biblett
    1911 In Old Madrid (short)
    1911 The Fisher-Maid (short)...Paula - the Fisher-maid
    1911 Conscience (short)
    1911 The Message in the Bottle (short)
    1911 A Decree of Destiny (short)...Mary
    1911 A Manly Man (short)
    1911 Artful Kate (short)...Artful Kate Stanley
    1911 Pictureland (short)...Rosita
    1911 The Convert (short)...Agnes Boyd
    1911 Her Darkest Hour (short)...Ruth
    1911 The Mirror (short)...Dorothy
    1911 When the Cat's Away (short)...Dorothy - the Wife
    1911 At the Duke's Command (short)...One of the Ladies of the Court
    1911 Three Sisters (short)...Mary
    1911 Maid or Man (short)...Jimmie's Sister
    1911 The Dream (short)
    1911 Their First Misunderstanding (short)...Mae Darcy
    1911 The Italian Barber (short)...Alice
    1911 When a Man Loves (short)...Tessie
    1911 A Dog's Tale
    1911 How Mary Fixed It (short)...Mary
    1911 Science (short)...Mrs. Crawford
    1911 The Daddy's Dream
    1910 Little Nell's Tobacco (short)
    1910 White Roses (short)...Betty
    1910 A Child's Stratagem (short)
    1910 A Plain Song (short)...Edith
    1910 The Song of the Wildwood Flute (short)...Dove Eyes
    1910 Sunshine Sue (short)
    1910 Simple Charity (short)...Miss Wilkins (as Gladys Nicholson)
    1910 Waiter No. 5 (short)...The Chief of Police's Son's Fiancée
    1910 A Lucky Toothache (short)...Bessie
    1910 The Masher (short)
    1910 That Chink at Golden Gulch (short)
    1910 A Gold Necklace (short)...Mazie
    1910 The Iconoclast (short)
    1910 Examination Day at School (short)
    1910 A Summer Tragedy (short)...(unconfirmed)
    1910 Little Angels of Luck (short)...(unconfirmed)
    1910 Muggsy Becomes a Hero (short)...Mabel
    1910 Wilful Peggy (short)...Peggy
    1910 The Sorrows of the Unfaithful (short)...Mary
    1910 When We Were in Our Teens (short)...Mary
    1910 The Usurer (short)...Invalid Daughter
    1910 An Arcadian Maid (short)...Priscilla
    1910 The Call to Arms (short)...A Messenger
    1910 Serious Sixteen (short)
    1910 A Flash of Light (short)
    1910 What the Daisy Said (short)...Martha (uncredited)
    1910 Muggsy's First Sweetheart (short)...Mabel Brown
    1910 A Child's Impulse (short)...Grace
    1910 May and December (short)...May
    1910 I Never Again (short)...The Girl
    1910 The Face at the Window (short)
    1910 A Victim of Jealousy (short)...The Wife's Friend
    1910 In the Season of Buds (short)...Mabel
    1910 Ramona (short)...Ramona
    1910 An Affair of Hearts (short)
    1910 Love Among the Roses (short)...The Lacemaker
    1910 The Unchanging Sea (short)...The Daughter as an Adult
    1910 The Kid (short) (unconfirmed)
    1910 A Romance of the Western Hills (short)...Indian
    1910 A Rich Revenge (short)...Jennie
    1910 As It Is in Life (short)...George Forrester's Daughter, as an Adult
    1910 The Two Brothers (short)...Mexican
    1910 His Last Dollar (short)
    1910 The Smoker (short)...George's Wife
    1910 The Twisted Trail (short)...Molly Hendricks
    1910 The Thread of Destiny (short)...Myrtle
    1910 The Newlyweds (short)...Alice Vance
    1910 The Englishman and the Girl (short)...The Girl
    1910 The Woman from Mellon's (short)...Mary Petersby, the Daughter
    1910 The Call (short)
    1910 All on Account of the Milk (short)...The Young Woman
    1909 To Save Her Soul (short)...Agnes Hailey
    1909 The Test (short)...Bessie
    1909 The Trick That Failed (short)...Nellie Burt
    1909 The Mountaineer's Honor (short)...Harum-Scarum, a Mountain Girl
    1909 A Midnight Adventure (short)...Eleanor
    1909 A Sweet Revenge (short)
    1909 The Restoration (short)'''Alice Ashford
    1909 The Light That Came (short)
    1909 The Gibson Goddess (short)...On Sidewalk
    1909 What's Your Hurry? (short)...Mary
    1909 Lines of White on a Sullen Sea (short)...Second Couple
    1909 In the Watches of the Night (short)...At Brainard's
    1909 His Lost Love (short)...Mary
    1909 The Little Teacher (short)...The Little Teacher
    1909 Pippa Passes; or, The Song of Conscience (short)...Girl in crowd
    1909 The Awakening (short)...The Widow's Daughter
    1909 Wanted, a Child (short)
    1909 In Old Kentucky (short)...Homecoming Party
    1909 The Broken Locket (short)...Ruth King
    1909 Getting Even (short)...Miss Lucy
    1909 The Children's Friend (short)
    1909 The Hessian Renegades (short)...Messenger's Sister
    1909 The Little Darling (short)...Little Darling
    1909 The Sealed Room (short)...A Lady-in-Waiting
    1909 Oh, Uncle! (short)...Bessie
    1909 The Seventh Day (short)...The Maid
    1909 The Indian Runner's Romance (short)...Blue Cloud's Wife
    1909 His Wife's Visitor (short)...Bessie Wright
    1909 They Would Elope (short)...Bessie
    1909 A Strange Meeting (short)
    1909 The Slave (short)...A Young Girl at Court
    1909 Sweet and Twenty (short)...Alice
    1909 The Renunciation (short)...Kittie Ryan
    1909 Tender Hearts (short)...Nellie
    1909 The Cardinal's Conspiracy (short)...A Disguised Servant
    1909 The Country Doctor (short)...Poor Mother's Elder Daughter (uncredited)
    1909 The Necklace (short)...The Maid/In Pawnshop
    1909 The Way of Man (short)...Winnie, Mabel's Cousin
    1909 The Mexican Sweethearts (short)...The Señorita
    1909 The Peachbasket Hat (short)...On Street/In Store
    1909 Her First Biscuits (short)...Biscuit Victim
    1909 The Faded Lilies (short)...At Party
    1909 The Son's Return (short)...Mary Clark
    1909 The Lonely Villa (short)...One of the Cullison Children
    1909 The Violin Maker of Cremona (short)...Giannina, Taddeo's Daughter
    1909 What Drink Did (short)
    1909 His Duty (short)...One of the children on the street
    1909 Two Memories (short)...Marion's Sister
    1909 The Drive for a Life (short)
    1909 The Deception (short)
    1909 The Fascinating Mrs. Francis (short)
    1909 Mrs. Jones Entertains (short) (as Dorothy Nicholson)
    1909 The Heart of an Outlaw (short)...The Outlaw's Daughter, as an Adult

Producer
    1949 Love Happy (producer - uncredited)
    1948 Sleep, My Love (producer - uncredited)
    1947 Stork Bites Man (producer)
    1947 The Adventures of Don Coyote (executive producer - uncredited)
    1947 White Cradle Inn (producer)
    1946 Susie Steps Out (producer)
    1946 Little Iodine (executive producer - uncredited)
    1936 The Gay Desperado (producer)
    1936 One Rainy Afternoon (producer)
    1933 Secrets (executive producer)
    1931 Kiki (producer)
    1929 The Taming of the Shrew (producer)
    1929 Coquette (producer - uncredited)
    1927 My Best Girl (producer - uncredited)
    1926 Human Sparrows (producer - uncredited)
    1925 Little Annie Rooney (producer - uncredited)
    1924 Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall (producer)
    1923 Rosita (producer)
    1922 Tess of the Storm Country (producer - uncredited)
    1921 Little Lord Fauntleroy (producer)
    1921 Through the Back Door (producer)
    1921 The Love Light (producer)
    1920 Suds (producer)
    1920 Pollyanna (producer - uncredited)
    1919 Heart o' the Hills (executive producer)
    1919 The Ragamuffin (executive producer)
    1919 Daddy-Long-Legs (producer - uncredited)
    1919 Captain Kidd, Jr. (producer - uncredited)
    1918 Johanna Enlists (executive producer)
    1918 How Could You, Jean? (producer)
    1917 The Little Princess (producer)
    1917 The Little American (producer)
    1916 Less Than the Dust (producer)
    1916 Poor Little Peppina (producer - uncredited)
    1916 The Foundling (producer)
    1915 The Foundling (producer)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Mary Pickford was a Canadian-American motion picture actress,
    co-founder of the film studio United Artists and one of the original
    36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Known as "America's Sweetheart," "Little Mary"and "The girl with the curls,"
    she was one of the Canadian pioneers in early Hollywood
    and a significant figure in the development of film acting.

Because her international fame was triggered by moving images,
    she is a watershed figure in the history of modern celebrity
    and, as one of silent film's most important performers and producers,
    her contract demands were central to shaping the Hollywood industry.
    In consideration of her contributions to American cinema,
    the American Film Institute named Pickford
    24th among the greatest female stars of all time.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have been trying to get my two 500 gig external hard drives organized properly and have come upon some pictures I forgot I had. So, I will apologize now in case I put some up that are already here.

Don't think much was said about Mary Pickford's love life. She was married three times, the second husband being the very well known Douglas Fairbanks which lasted sixteen years. They were considered "Hollywood Royalty" and their every move was reported to their adoring public. In other words, they pretty much started the press nightmares that all stars must endure now.

In 1937 Pickford married Charles "Buddy" Rogers a talented musician and beloved actor. He was dubbed "America's boyfriend" whereas Pickford had been called "America's Sweetheart". Buddy became a band leader which had been his life long dream. Meanwhile, Pickford slowly slipped into alcoholism.

By the time I knew Buddy, she not only didn't venture outside of her house, but she usually remained secluded in her bedroom. I met Buddy on a chartered flight to Puerto Rico. It was a plane reserved for the celebrities that would be playing in the Charity Golf Tournament at the El Conquistador Hotel high above El San Juan. Since we left from Los Angeles Airport at night and wouldn't arrive in Puerto Rico for another 9 hours or so.....a lot of people slept on the plane including my Gibbons. Of course that was after a few drinks, some champagne, a fantastic dinner, and lots of greetings of old friends and new. Besides Gibbons, I only knew two people on the entire plane. After a week of golf, great food, shows, and gambling at the El Conquistador, I sure knew a lot more.

Gibbons and I had stopped at Marty and Frenchy Allen's house after our trip up from Palm Springs. Frenchy gave us a book from their library that they had two copies of and both autographed it nicely to us......that part will be in my book along with the name of the book given us, LOL. Buddy Rogers saw it on the seat beside me and that was the end of our sleep. He and I stayed up all night checking out the book and talking about our lives. We both learned a great deal about each other that first night.

I learned about Mary Pickford. I had only known her name and that she was a silent film star. Buddy told me funny stories about their life and his growing up on a large farm. One such item was that when Buddy and Mary got married, Mary said all the vows....love, honor, cherish, etc. except for one. She put her foot down, and Buddy said, "When Mary put her foot down, the Queen Mary full steam ahead couldn't budge her an inch!" (Buddy LOVED to "invent" sayings that no one else used.....some of them on the spot and quite hilarious.....he would make his own self laugh). Anyway, she assured everyone she was NOT going to say "OBEY". And she didn't, LOL!

They were married 42 years until Mary died in 1979. Buddy was 12 years her junior. Buddy lived into his nineties, and I know he had a ball throughout it all. He was faithful to Mary until the end. Of course that depends on what you mean by the word. He had a younger, very nice, wonderful friend who accompanied him everywhere. She was a good golfer, as was he, and they enjoyed the same things. Mary knew about her, although I never asked her or Buddy if she ever met Mary. The picture I am posting has her in the background just to the right of Buddy. I have other pics of us all, but they won't be taken out of their storage until time to put the book together.

So, that's about all I can put here now. Will update it if I ever get the book out, LOL!

All I can say is she must have been one H__L of a lady to do all the things she did in life before and after her seclusion. Still can't post the big pics as Larry does, so this will have to do. KEITH

This picture is how Buddy looked when I knew him with his lady friend behind and to the right of him. The next is just after they were married, I THINK!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE