Stars In London

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,552 times. The latest Post () was by itdo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just got my copy of BIG REEL (any collectors on this board familiar with that?) and it's advertising the biggest poster auction ever, Jan 31st in London. They expect big sales with many rarities. Mentioned are Wayne posters as well. But really interesting - at least for me - are the GUEST STARS:

Tom Walton who was "Danny the Tunnel King" in one of my favorites, "The Great Escape" (all the main stars died or got captured, but he just merrily rowed his boat to freedom)
    a couple of old Bond girls :D
    AND:
    The girl Heidi from another one of my favorites, "Where Eagles Dare". Remember the sexy double agent (talking about a low profile when you're a double agent, haha) who helped Eastwood&Burton taking that bloody Nazi castle? That's her.

So, Chance and Arthur, and Robbie - you're close, too - are you going to be there by chance?

If interested, I can provide more infos.

• Hi ITDO

Thanks for the heads up. I only live seventy miles from London I don't know if I can make it but if you can supply more info I would be grateful.

Best Regards
    Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The Great Escape, That was a awesome movie and had 1 of my other all time favroite cool actors, Steve McQueen. Wish I lived over there, Minnesota is alittle to far away :)

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Here's more info:
    The London poster show/auction is done by movie poster expert and lifelong collector Morris Everett. They expect top dollar for rare finds like Bride of Frankenstein, valued at 60 - 80000 bucks, or original artwork for King Kong, for 20000$. At this auction, world records have been set before
    There will be about 60 poster dealers.

Other special guests are: Caroline Munro from "The Spy Who Loved Me".
    Martine Beswick from "Thunderball" and "From Russia with Love".
    Madeline Smith from "Live and Let Die".
    and P.H. Moriarty, famous English actor.
    It'll take place at the Olympia Hilton in London, 10a.m. to 9 p.m..
    The auction is from 4 to 9 pm. Admission is five pounds.

• Nobody... really? Boy, if I would have Ingrid Pitt in a 50 kilometer radius, would I be going! ;)
    Easyjet is flying for really low prices now even - sometimes less than 70, 80 $ from where I live to London. Have been to that great town about half a dozen times on business. Every time I got there I used to get the theatergoer first, to check out if any great stars where performing at the West End, or even at the Old Vic. Arthur, you aren't familiar with the future shows?
    (C'mon, tell me who's on and maybe I'll answer your space journey question then! :P )

• Hi ITDO
    Just for you and 400 odd others the John Wayne Message Board In Town To-night.

ALBERY THEATRE
    'SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY '- Starring Nigel Havers and Ardal O'Hanlon

GIELGULD
    'tell me on a sunday' - Marti Webb

LONDON PALLADIUM
    CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG - Russ Abbott, Sandra Dickinson, Victor Spinetti
    I saw this with the original cast it was great.

LYRIC
    'THE SECRET RAPTURE' - STARRING Peter Egan, Belinda Lang, Jenny Seagrove
    Simon Shepherd and Liz Walker

NEW AMBASSADOR

STONES IN HIS POCKETS
    This was the hit play in London a couple of years ago Its a two man show set in Ireland and one of the sketches involves an actor(or extra) as the last man alive who was at the making of the Quiet Man and this caused confusion in my circles as my friends were asking me who he was. And as I hadn't seen the play or read anything about until later . I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

ROYAL ALBERT HALL
    CIRQUE DU SOLEIL DRALION

SHAFTSBURY THEATRE
    THOUROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE - Starring Amanda Hoden & Maureen Lipman

STRAND
    The Rat Pack

THEATRE ROYAL HAYMARKET - (until Jan 31)
    A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE - Starring Rupert Graves, Samantha Bond,
    Prunella Scales &Joanne Pierce

A run down of the other shows
    ADELPHI - Chicago
    ALDWYCH - Fame
    APOLLO - Bombay Dreams
    ARTS THEATRE - Happy Days (Felicity Fendal)
    CAMBRIDGE THEATRE - Jerry Springer - The Opera
    COMEDY THEATRE - Journey's End
    CRITERION - Reduced Shakespeare Company
    DOMINION - We Will Rock You
    DRURY LANE - Anything Goes
    DUCHESS THEATRE - Harold Pinters Betrayal
    DUKE OF YORKS - Sweet Panic -Jane Horricks (not the one who owned the
    Freightline?), Victoria Hamilton & John Gordon
    Sinclair
    FORTUNE - The Woman in Black
    HER MAJESTY'S - The PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
    LYCEUM - The Lion King
    NEW LONDON Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
    OLD VIC - Of Mice and Men
    PALACE - Les Miserables
    PHOENIX - Blood Brothers
    PICADDILY - Tom Stoppards Jumpers
    PRINCE EDWARD THEATRE - Mama Mia
    SAVOY - Peter Pan
    ST MARTINS - The Moustrap - (52nd Year) and I still haven't seen it
    VICTORI PALACE - Tonight's the Night

As a number of these plays are closing 31 January If you happy with this I'll update you further in February.

Other attractions in London included in the EMPIRE Magazine for February 2004 are the following film fairs_

Saturday 7 February and 20th March Manchester Sacha's Hotel Tib Street 10-4 admission £2.00.

Nearer Home
    Saturday 21st February Electric Ball Room Camden 10-4-30 admission £2.00

I have been to the Camden fair and also the Westminster fair (when that is held)on a number of occasons. They used to be very good and quite cheap with a number of John Wayne pictures, books and posters many at very reasonable prices. But now the belgians have moved in with foreign posters and the prices have jumped astonomically.

With regard to Ingrid Pitt I saw her at one of the fairs a couple of years ago. She was selling pictures of herself in the bath from one of the Vampire pictures. Whatever turns you on but Looking at her she seemed to have not been well served by time.
    Incidentally I read an aticle by her in one of my magazines which now I can't find of an encounter with John Wayne when they played cards. This seems difficult to believe as she never appeared in a film with the Duke. I wish I could find the article.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur, THANKS a lot!
    So I guess now I really have to answer your space rocket question...

Samantha Bond ("Miss Moneypenny") and Rupert Graves sound very promising. I envy you for the wide selection of plays in London, at reasonable prices, too! when last I went to the Opera in Zurich to see Klaus Maria Brandauer in Mozart's Serail, I paid 150 swiss Francs per Ticket - ouch! But I promised my girl friend... :headbonk:

Before Chuck Heston got Alzheimer, there was talk of him returning to the stage of the Old Vic. I would have loved to see that. But now... I once had the great oppurtunity to look behind the scenes of the - yes, let's call it the worlds most famous - theatre, I was doing a story for television. The doors of the powder rooms upstairs still carried the names of Olivier and Burton! That great old lady who plays "M" in the 007-movies and got an Oscar for "Elizabeth" - Judy Dench - is one of the heads of the Old Vic, together with Kevin Spacey, for instance. What a cast for a play!!

You're absolutely right about the aging of celebrities - be prepared to see the star in the flesh means that it's maybe 40 years from what you remember his looks.